Options

White fish recipe ideas...

.Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
Forum Member
I've got some whiting fillets for tonight and am looking for a recipe. I've looked up some recipes but they all look a bit boring. What interesting things would you do with white fish.

I've got all the basics in my cupboard, but don't particularly want to go and by obscure ingredients.

Ideas please:)

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    This is a recipe taken from the label of the Napolina butter beans.

1 can Napolina butter beans
    1 stick celery
    1 onion
    white wine
    vegetable stock
    white fish

chop up onion and celery and fry til soft in a large pot. Le Creuset is my favourite. Toss in some white wine, thyme and a bayleaf. Add vegetable stock and the fish.

Makes a nice fishy beany type stew.

Remember to remove the bayleaf.

You can also add some cream towards the end of the cooking or some creme fraiche.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Poach fillets in about 200mls milk for 5-6 minutes - remove and place on baking tray or grill pan covered with foil.
    Sprinkle with grated cheese and breadcrumb mix - enough just to cover them. Place under grill for another 5 mins until topping is golden

In pan with milk from poaching - add salt and pepper, 3 tbsps of creme fraiche, a knob of butter and a handful of chopped chives (can use dried but better fresh) and bring slowly to simmer. Turn off.

Serve with veg and new potatoes or chips if you must. Pour sauce over fish and/or whatever you like. Add more chives to top if fresh for serving.

The sauce is lovely, no need for butter if using new potatoes

*this recipe works best with undyed smoked haddock, but I'm sure would work with whiting*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is a recipe taken from the label of the Napolina butter beans.

1 can Napolina butter beans
    1 stick celery
    1 onion
    white wine
    vegetable stock
    white fish

chop up onion and celery and fry til soft in a large pot. Le Creuset is my favourite. Toss in some white wine, thyme and a bayleaf. Add vegetable stock and the fish.

Makes a nice fishy beany type stew.

Remember to remove the bayleaf.

You can also add some cream towards the end of the cooking or some creme fraiche.

That would be nice but I HATE butter beans.
    Osusana wrote: »
    Poach fillets in about 200mls milk for 5-6 minutes - remove and place on baking tray or grill pan covered with foil.
    Sprinkle with grated cheese and breadcrumb mix - enough just to cover them. Place under grill for another 5 mins until topping is golden

In pan with milk from poaching - add salt and pepper, 3 tbsps of creme fraiche, a knob of butter and a handful of chopped chives (can use dried but better fresh) and bring slowly to simmer. Turn off.

Serve with veg and new potatoes or chips if you must. Pour sauce over fish and/or whatever you like. Add more chives to top if fresh for serving.

Oh sounds nice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dammit, no breadcrumbs!
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Dammit, no breadcrumbs!

No bread?

I make mine by whizzing a slice of bread in the blender:D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    White fish tikka masala. It works best with big chunks of fish but would still work.

or you could try this Jamie Oliver recipe - Sea bass (white fish) and pancetta, sweet potato mash, Asian greens

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1312675/Jamie-Olivers-30-minute-meals-Sea-bass-pancetta-sweet-potato-mash-Asian-greens-berry-ice-cream-sparkling-lemon-ginger-drink.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No bread?

We do have bread and I normally blend up a slice when making meatballs. Will it give the same crunchy effect as shop bought?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No bread?

Double post.
  • Options
    Forum Member

*this recipe works best with undyed smoked haddock, but I'm sure would work with whiting*

I made this tonight. i didn't have any craime fraiche or white wine, but used a spoonful of white wine vinegar which seemed to work just as well.

Definately going in my repetoire. It was lovely.