Switching from SkyHD+ to Now TV any issues to be aware of?

2»

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Using the latest generation of Roku box (not the older platform used for the Now TV Box), live TV beats the 544x576 SD streams used on Freeview and some satellite channels.

Definitely. I'd be surprised if they're really only using 360p. I have Now TV through a Roku 3 box at 1080p and the quality of the live streams, whilst not HD, looks much better than 360p.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Definitely. I'd be surprised if they're really only using 360p. I have Now TV through a Roku 3 box at 1080p and the quality of the live streams, whilst not HD, looks much better than 360p.

Well NowTV doesn't have its own streams of channels so where do you think the channels come from?
    And why do you think it is that when NowTV goes down, so does SkyGo and vice-versa!
  • redrogredrog Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Is there any difference between the SKY HD Movie package and the one available through NOW TV? Are the on demand offerings the same?
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Live TV is supposed to be 720p through Apple TV only. Has anyone here trialled it through Apple TV?
  • tykethattykethat Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Live TV is supposed to be 720p through Apple TV only. Has anyone here trialled it through Apple TV?

I watch Now Tv through an Apple TV and the picture is excellent. I have just recently used a £10 weeks sports pass and watched all four days of the golf, F1, and football and the picture quality was superb throughout with no buffering issues.
    On the entertainment side I never watch live tv because everything I want to watch is on demand and again the picture quality is excellent.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Well NowTV doesn't have its own streams of channels so where do you think the channels come from?
    And why do you think it is that when NowTV goes down, so does SkyGo and vice-versa!

Sorry to bump this thread, but I can now confirm (from checking router logs when using Now TV and Sky Go) that they use completely different streams depending on the service and device. The streams are all hosted by Akamai but otherwise are completely separate. Sky Go on a mobile does not connect to the same stream as Now TV on a Roku box, for example. The bitrates also vary.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I can now confirm (from checking router logs when using Now TV and Sky Go) that they use completely different streams depending on the service and device. The streams are all hosted by Akamai but otherwise are completely separate. Sky Go on a mobile does not connect to the same stream as Now TV on a Roku box, for example. The bitrates also vary.

Hm, thats interesting indeed. Thanks
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have only used Now TV once (free Sports day pass from buying packs of Pringles!) but the picture on SS F1 through my Chromecast was definitely 720p.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    All of SkyGo / NowTV channels online are 360p.

While they might look better than a traditional SD broadcast channel because of over compression and shabby res, 360p still is pretty poor when you consider how much Sky goes on about HD and coupled with the fact BBC, BT ect have been offering 720p video streams for a while, both live and OnDemand.

I will eat my shorts and hat the day Sky starts offering 720p & 1080p online streams.

Ah yes, that old chestnut of face-to-face with the telly, i still do that sometimes (He admits, shamefully :D )

I don't think it's full HD yet, but the new black Now TV box has the capability to show full HD, so many are hoping that this will be utilised in the future.
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the price I am impressed by this little box and definitely way cheaper than the full sky package.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although not going into specific resolutions, here's a list of what sort of output you should get with different devices.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality
  • UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Interesting that only Apple TV offers 720p for everything on NOW TV. Anyone know why? Apple demand it?
  • maracmarac Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    No subtitles on NOW TV, that is a big disadvantages for me.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only use NowTV for sports (ie not entertainment) and I reckon the picture quality's very good (far better than SD, and better than Eurosport player)). I'm using Now TV's app on a 40"LG, so if the PQ's poor via the web or various sticks/boxes, I wonder why the difference?

EDIT just seen this from Mickey's post above! http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go on their forums there are lots of complaints about nowtv picture quality.

It's nothing like Sky HD but you can always have Freesat HD and Freeview HD for main channels like BBC1.