Husband Ill cannot look after my cats, advice needed.

tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
Forum Member
✭✭
I have three cats aged 14, 14 and 8 years. They are indoor cats and have never been outdoors in their lives except going into our secluded back garden a few times a year, supervised, and for a few minutes. I also have two dogs, one is 24 months and the other is nearly 15.

My dogs keep me alive and I won’t consider re-homing them. Without them I would lose the will to live, literally. I wull be able to afford my dogs and vets fees, (they are insured).

My husband in terminally ill and I don’t have family or friends who can help. My question is, I feel I am unable to keep my cats. This is breaking my heart as I have kept tor over 30 years, (we have been married 30 years), but once my husband goes, I will not be able to afford vet fees or feed the cats or afford litter. I am not entitled to benefits and will have a very low income once I am alone.

I love my cats, but I need to be practical.

What I need to know, if anyone can help, is what my options are. There may not be time to re home them in the conventional way. What will happen if I call the RSPCA to take them away? Will they be put to sleep?

This is a distressing time, so please, sensible answers only.

Comments

• mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would do a search for cat rescue centres in your area. Also contact the vets. Mine has posters up from different organisations and sometimes people put up their own 'home wanted' posters. Personally I would look at other options before going with the RSPCA but that's just me.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry this is going to sound personal but how old are you ? The cinnamon trust may be able to help either rehome or possibly keep your cats if you are OAP. If you are longer some smaller rescues may be able to help.

I would suggest avoid the RSPCA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    What an awful decision to have to make. Hugs. :(

It sounds like you have some time to look into this. There's no harm in asking your local rescue centres what their PTS policy is. If they know they maybe coming in they might start helping you find a home now. They are older cats but sound like they could potentially be good companions for someone who lives alone. :)
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks.

I am too young for cinnamon trust, although my husband is over 60. I emailed them last week and I am still waiting for a reply.

I have tried every cat charity in my area, North East England, and all are full and won’t accept our cats.

I am just panicking at the minute as we have just found out, my husband in going fast and my head is all over the place.

Thanks for replying I appreciate it.

A friend may take the younger cat, but the two older cats are a concern.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are you ? not you address obviously just a rough idea of area, someone may be able to think of something if we know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newcastle Upon Tyne area.

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Op, try blue cross at thirsk, you maybe too far but they do a 'home direct' scheme where they keep the cats int he home whilst rehoming, which is less stressful for all. I'm not sure how far up they go, but it's worth a try. They may have a waiting list to bring them in too, they are a charity that do not put cats down unless they have severe behavioural issues that pose a danger to humans (very rare) of if they have unmanageable medical issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, I will try blue cross.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also try catchat.org and catsey both sites have very helpful people some in your area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Molliepops, looking at site now.
  • EmilyJEGEmilyJEG Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, was going to PM you but I'm out and the signal on my phone is rubbish - everything is slow to load. Would you be able to tell me more about the two older cats - what they are like personality-wise, whether they've had or have any health problems (when did they last see a vet?) etc. Feel free to send the info in a private message if you like, I'll be home in a couple of hours and be able to reply properly!

Of course if you've found somewhere for them already then you don't have to answer any of my questions! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Emily.

Thanks for your reply. Our two older cats, Thomas and Ben have no health problems and are very fit considering their ages. They haven’t seen the vets for years as they have had no problems and both have been neutered. Personality wise, Thomas (a redhead) is a little flightily but otherwise very friendly and loving and Ben, long fluffy tabby, is very loving and loves being brushed.

My website page Here shows pictures of our cats.

The black and white cat Harry, is the youngest and can be re-homed.

We are a very loving family, we adore our pets.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're gorgeous. Ben is beautiful.

I can't help but I wanted to send you good wishes for what must be a horrible time in your life. I hope you get your cats settled as quickly and comfortably as possible and that you can focus on your husband and enjoy your time together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are really cute! :D

I posted the other day about our cat - that's why I came to this sub-forum to see if anyone else had commented on the thread. She got really sick again and was PTS yesterday, but I didn't want to bump the thread just to share the bad news :( That's when I saw your post.

We're not looking to replace our cat, and certainly weren't expecting to find another so soon, but we'd be happy to help you out, if that's what you'd like. We've just put the deposit down to rent a three bed flat and I've checked that they'll allow a couple of cats. I'm not sure if there's any garden space, but if they'd be willing to travel then we'd take them to Middlesbrough when we visit family, where there are plenty of gardens! To be honest though, with a baby on the way in July, we'll probably be spending most of our time in Leeds so if they hate travelling, that shouldn't be a problem. We'll make sure to give them plenty of attention so that they hopefully won't get jealous.

My Mum is willing to take us to collect them, but if they do hate travelling then that might be an issue. She'd be taking us straight to Leeds so they wouldn't have to experience a load of 'new places' along the way.

Because we'll be in the process of moving (that'll teach my husband for letting me view places by myself and telling me "I trust you", haha!) my husband has asked if we could wait until about Saturday 22nd to get them. He doesn't want any more pets in this flat as he views this as "Tia's home", but also getting them used to one place to move them a few days later wouldn't be very fair.

Let me know what you reckon. If you'd rather find somewhere closer to home or you've any other issue, then that's fine - I won't be insulted! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie, thank you so much for your post, it’s much appreciated. Ben is my PC’s screensaver; I cannot find a better looking candidate.

Hi Emily.

Thank you so much for your response, you are just the person we are looking for.

Ben and Thomas are indoor cats, but I am sure they would enjoy a little fresh air. We keep them indoors to keep them safe.

They will be fine travelling. They enjoy it no more or no less than the average cat, I would say. They will create a little during the journey, but that’s normal for most cats.

The 22nd would be fine. I will get back to you as soon a possible. Just need to talk to husband but he’s in bed, sleeping most of the time due to the morphine.

Thank you so much Emily, you sound perfect.

Wendi.
    Edit. Talked to husband and we'll be asking friend in next couple of days if he can take Harry. It's all reliant on friend taking Harry, as they have met and like each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean if your friend doesn't take Harry then you don't want us to take the other two just yet? Or that everything will be sorted if your friend takes Harry and we take Thomas and Ben?

It's a hard decision to make and like I said, if you change your mind at any point then that's fine, as long as you let us know. Hopefully it's a bit of a weight off your mind so that you can concentrate on enjoying your time with your husband.

I've just updated my email address so that you can send me an email or PM a bit closer to the time and we can sort out the details (phone number, address etc) :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emily, your offer is too good to turn down, we won’t get this opportunity again, so yes, and it would be great if you could take Ben and Thomas, as Harry will be much easier to re-home.

You have given us a life-line and as my husband said last night, “give them life.

So yes, everything is on for you coming on 22nd for you to take them.

I will send you a message with address telephone number closer to the time.

Your helping has taken a huge burden off our shoulders and we are amazed by your generosity and kindness. You will make perfect parents for my boys.

The only proviso is, if things don’t turn out, that you don’t return them as I just couldn’t cope.

Thank you ever so much Emily:).

Wendi. x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Awww. What a feel good thread :)
  • LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Awww. What a feel good thread :)

Isn't it just :)
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww a nice thread with a good outcome... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww a nice thread with a good outcome... :)

Good outcome I totally agree:), (Emily is amazing,) but not a nice thread considering the circumstances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emily, can we keep everthing private from now on, and communicate through private messages?

I will message you soon with all details. You are an angel.

Wendi. x.
  • Pedalo GirlPedalo Girl Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I don't get to come on here as much as I would like but I was really moved by this thread.

It sounds like a good outcome for all has been reached. It is wonderful!
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news :) :)you can put your mind at rest re. finding the cats a hom now

(I am sorry to hear of your situation, OP :( best wishes to you and your husband)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have PM'd you :)