Step up to the Plate

Comments

• GrimmGhostGrimmGhost Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    What is the matter with the producers calling a programme Step up to the Plate, when I bet 99% of viewers haven't a clue what it's supposed to mean.
    Checking on Google, wait for it, it's a term used in that well known British sport Baseball :eek::(:rolleyes::p

It's not the only food/cooking show using an American phrase, "Hell's Kitchen" and the "The F Word".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I wish i could watch this - but anton du bekes voice annoys me to the point i find it unwatchabe!
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Three Afro-Caribbean ladies, Monique, Jamie and Janine (two students and a filing clerk) challenge Gino D’Acampo and Paul Rankin.

The prize is £12,000.

Starter: sweet red pepper and prawn skewers with a creamy dipping sauce.
    Main: mozzarella stuffed chicken breast with a blueberry and hot pepper sauce and steamed vegetable
    Pudding: frozen fruits of the forrest dessert with a berry sauce.

LG thinks there are too many berries in the menu.

Recipes here. At the bottom of the page.

LG tries the starters. He thinks they are both very colourful. He starts with the chef’s food, he finds their sauce interesting and mild, it works but not going crazy over it. The amateur’s food is tried. In terms of flavour and look he prefers the chef’s starter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a bad programme, but the presenter is the most annoying person I've ever seen in my life. I didn't realise audience applause and laughter could sound so fake and cheap either. It looks like it cost about 2p to make.

It did make me dig out a classic old Reeves and Mortimer sketch taking the piss out of Lloyd Grossman and the original Masterchef format though, which isn't a bad thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LG tries the main and the pudding.

The chef’s main is tried first - it’s succulent, spicy and it works well, a trace of bluberries, it’s good. He tries the cooks food – the chicken is nicely cooked, good flavour, vegetables are fine, the blueberry sauce is interesting and it works quite well.

He tries the puddings, he likes the chef’s frozen summer pudding; the cook’s berry ice cream is liked.

LG picks the cook’s main course but the chef’s pudding.

Chef’s win again.
  • saint paulsaint paul Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    The fake laughter started to make me feel ill, I had to turn over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lucy, Bethan and Sherrif challenge Aldo Zilli and Richard Phillips

Starter: Egyptian-spiced aubergine with tzatziki.
    Main: Fillet of sea bass on a bed of (bamya) okra served with wild rice.
    Pudding: Lemon souffle pudding.

The jackpot stands at £13,000.

LG says tzatziki is garlicky.

He thinks it has been put together by young people who like travelling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LG thinks the starter should look earthy and rustic.

He thinks both starters looks good. Nice colours, nice contrasts. He thinks the cook’s dish looks more restauranty.

He starts with the cook’s food – nice flavours, pick out onion and then realizes it’s cumin, says the tzatziki isn’t authentic because it’s not garlicky enough.

He likes the garnish of the chef’s dish, more frittery, not too oily, tzatziki lacking in garlic punch so not authentic.

Dish relies on being homely and rustic so cook’s one is too well mannered so he picks the chefs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't actually think Anton Du Beke is that bad. SURELY I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE??? But Lllloyd Grooosmaaaan is so dull and he goes On and ON AND ON AND ON. He really kills the show - it could be at least 15 minutes shorter if they cut out his self congratulatory ramblings. SHUT IT LLOYD!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I notice du Beke said LG was spot on when he said the cooks were from Egypt when what LG said was that he didn’t think they were from Egypt but travelled there.

He didn’t like the skin off of the cook’s food. The chef’s have better cooked rice.

Both pudding look nice, cook’s have well balance pudding. he finds the chef’s food interesting with a do it yourself mixture.

LG likes the cook’s main despite the chef’s fish being cooked better; and the cook’s pudding.

The cook’s win £13,000.
  • MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CillaBlack wrote: »
    I don't actually think Anton Du Beke is that bad. SURELY I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE??? But Lllloyd Grooosmaaaan is so dull and he goes On and ON AND ON AND ON. He really kills the show - it could be at least 15 minutes shorter if they cut out his self congratulatory ramblings. SHUT IT LLOYD!

I don't think he's that bad. Maybe I've just got used to him because I've watched Strictly Come Dancing and It Takes Two etc. from the beginning.

I also happen to like Lloyd (I probably AM the only one):o. I think he's a fair judge, if a bit of a snob (food and otherwise).
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    There're some particularly irritating shouty students on today. I hope they get trounced!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Birmingham Maths Cake Club (Luke, Phillip and Andrew) challenge John Burton Race and Paul Rankin.

Starter: Savoury trifle.
    Main: Fillet of beef with parsnip relish, with creamy mash, honey glazed carrots and a bourguingnon sauce.
    Pudding: Chocolate pudding with an orange blossom cream.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    There're some particularly irritating shouty students on today. I hope they get trounced!

The head student is very annoying, but John Burton-Race has the sort of face that's calling out to be slapped :o He's so condescending.

And hasn't Anton du Beke been taking presenting lessons from Bruce Forsyth? He repeats everything they all say, just like Brucie and as much as I love Anton, this is pretty irritating!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    The head student is very annoying, but John Burton-Race has the sort of face that's calling out to be slapped :o He's so condescending.

And hasn't Anton du Beke been taking presenting lessons from Bruce Forsyth? He repeats everything they all say, just like Brucie and as much as I love Anton, this is pretty irritating!

I am 99% sure Du Beke has modelled himself on Forsyth.

LG is trying the starter, he can’t describe the chef’s one and isn’t keen. The student’s one looks like a gazpacho gone made, tastes like a barking version of a carbonara.

He picks the student’s starter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I've seen this.... don't think I'll bother watching the rest. Tony Beak should stick to dancing and.... who chose that annoying drum music that goes on and on with no tune almost throughout? Aaaarrghhh! Can't watch, won't watch. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Paul Rankin, but I wish he'd lose the american accent - he only spent five minutes in the states after all. JBR is so smug; I'd be pleased to see the students beat him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Could Anton be getting in some presenting practice in the hope of replacing Bruce Forsyth on SCD when the time comes? Just doesn't have the charisma though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LG tries the main from the chefs, thinks the relish is being used as a substitute for mustard, a string of nices. He finds the cookes relish vinegary, beef nice, a little too sweet.

LG goes on to the puddings, he thinks the cooks pud is really good, rich and bitter. The chef’s one is more cakey, very good with nice orange cream.

LG goes for the chef’s main course and the cook’s pudding.

The irritating students win £5,000
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mariaella wrote: »
    I like Paul Rankin, but I wish he'd lose the american accent - he only spent five minutes in the states after all. JBR is so smug; I'd be pleased to see the students beat him.

Hahaha, that's the metaphorical slap in the face I was hoping JBR would get :D

Paul is a nice guy though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mariaella wrote: »

I thought he had a Southern Irish accent and I haven’t noticed it changing.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    The show has stumbled on quite an interesting angle. Take today's studenty twits - their first course was so bizarre it short-circuited the chefs, so it's a surprisingly tough test for the professionals. As for Du Beke, he has a long chin and comes from a similar part of the world to Forsyth, and he's had most experience on TV working with Forsyth, so I don't think it's a surprise he seems a bit like Forsyth. He's just a bit naff. Like Forsyth (these days).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    I thought he had a Southern Irish accent and I haven’t noticed it changing.

Paul's accent hasn't changed at all since he's become famous. He's always had that tendency to sway from northern Irish to American/Canadian- interesting that mix might come across as southern Irish to some. His wife is Canadian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Three ladies from Suffolk WI (Gill, Pam and Jane) take on Aldo Zilli and Richard Phillips.

Starter: hot avocado and bacon pot
    Main:lemon sole stuffed with prawn and mascapone cheese with a coconut and tarragon sauce, mixed pepper couscous and sugar snap peas.
    Pudding: calypso pineapple with iced ginger cream.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lloyd thought the menu was put together by people in their forties from East Anglia.

He seems to be expecting ginger ice cream but he’s getting iced ginger cream. He’s worried by hot avocado.