new bbc credit squeeze

SJFerrolSJFerrol Posts: 357
Forum Member
Did anyone else notice during escape to the country

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen it a couple of times recently. It's good that the credits now have much more space, but the actual design looks rather poor. Tomorrow is spelt incorrectly on the Casualty promotion.

Example for those who haven't seen it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaBF7AQ7UvE
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I thought they did away with that crap years ago due to its overwhelming unpopularity.

(The credit squeezing, not Escape to the Country).
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    That's much better now.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    The CS background colour is awful. Having a voice-over is even worse. I dump any channel including a CS or titles voice-over as soon as it starts.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that now, at least you can see the credits clearly unlike Channel 5 and STV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I don't really see the problem with credit squeezes, but you can read the credits clearly now that ought to oppose the anti-squeeze crowd on here
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    I came here thinking that the Corporation's limit on borrowing had been reduced!
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... from £200m - which its been for 30 years
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    I thought they did away with that crap years ago due to its overwhelming unpopularity.

(The credit squeezing, not Escape to the Country).

They seem to think that people who complain just want it redesigned and then have to foot the bill for someone to do the redesigning.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what ITV used to do, now the BBC is copying their old style several years later. Yawn.
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I saw it during the end credits of Pointless Celebrities (BBC one) on Saturday evening. They look good :)
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw at the end of What a Load of Buzzcocks. Couldn't give a toss either way.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    This is what ITV used to do, now the BBC is copying their old style several years later. Yawn.

Actually the BBC were doing the same thing back in 2006 except then the credits were rolled on the right and the on screen promotion was on the left.
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    BBC abolishes policy of crunching down credits in face of viewer backlash

"New DG orders changes to the system of disappearing credits in the face of viewer revolt"
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    BBC abolishes policy of crunching down credits in face of viewer backlash

"New DG orders changes to the system of disappearing credits in the face of viewer revolt"
    "There will still be voice over continuity announcements which some viewers may still object to because they feel it interferes with the enjoyment of theme music."

Next: Kill the voice-overs!
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Actually the BBC were doing the same thing back in 2006 except then the credits were rolled on the right and the on screen promotion was on the left.

ITV were doing it from 2002/2003, although to be fair they've stopped doing it now with the recent rebrand and have a quarter screen squeeze like the BBC did from 2007-08.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cq5BkUIwyU
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an interview in the Radio Times Tony Hall the new director general has said credit squeezing will stop.

Just as we thought it was going to stop it seems the BBC don't understand why viewers complain. They're still missing the point.
    This is their new way of doing it
    vvv
    http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2013/07/bbc-stops-squeezing-end-credits-to-give-creatives-proper-bow/

When people say credit squeezing they mean that the WHOLE picture is being invaded by "what's coming next" pictures.
    When people say credit squeezing they mean don't interrupt the picture at all with ANYTHING. Don't talk over it either.
    Will they ever get it.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new solution looks good to me.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a viewer I'd me more inclined to say for the credits, if I got news of what was on later or little preview of the next programme.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Next: Kill the voice-overs!

Yep! Remember how some estuary accent would shatter the mood as Mad Men ended with some smartly chosen music from the classic American song book? Luckily BBC4 took notice of the viewer reaction in that case.

Just let the programme end! :mad:
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen it a couple of times recently. It's good that the credits now have much more space, but the actual design looks rather poor. Tomorrow is spelt incorrectly on the Casualty promotion.

Example for those who haven't seen it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaBF7AQ7UvE

That's just taking the piss. We DON'T WANT this, we DON'T NEED it. When will the BBC bloody learn!!!
    Pencil wrote: »
    I thought they did away with that crap years ago due to its overwhelming unpopularity

Nope, it's been there since June 2007 when they brought it in.

For Tony "Lord" Hall to say he wants to end scrunching, then gives us this, what the hell is he smoking?!
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJFerrol wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice during escape to the country
    Whilst i detest the credit squeeze at the end of programmes. The bbc have got it right while itv need to go back to drawing board.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    BBC Scotland still doesn't have any credit squeezing.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Whilst i detest the credit squeeze at the end of programmes. The bbc have got it right while itv need to go back to drawing board.

How have they "got it right" when they're still squeezing?
    BBC Scotland still doesn't have any credit squeezing.

Is that the same for BBC2 Scotland as well? I'm going to start recording for those variants if that's the case.