The Good Wife - Season 5 - More4 Pace *No Spoilers*

Comments

• Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew this was going to happen, that's what happens though when shows are shown in the Uk 6 weeks or so after the US. Didn't know how it was going to go down though, all very shocking
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really glad that I did not know this was going to happen, and that I had not seen any spoiler posts about this being a spectacular episode.

Why don't people on spoiler-free threads just talk about episodes that have been shown rather than give hints and teasers about episodes yet to come?
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was something of a spoiler in More 4's continuity introduction to the show, mention of something "deadly". I didn't expect Will to be the one to go though. I thought it might be Diane, who hasn't been contributing all that much recently. Will seems like a major loss to the show to me.
  • ZebsZebs Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome episode , we were shocked in our house
    I can hardly believe it really
  • AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,841
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I am really glad that I did not know this was going to happen, and that I had not seen any spoiler posts about this being a spectacular episode.

Why don't people on spoiler-free threads just talk about episodes that have been shown rather than give hints and teasers about episodes yet to come?

Some people can't help themselves. They learn about something coming up and tell everyone because they think now their own enjoyment has been spoilt, they might as well spoil others'.
  • ricinusricinus Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    After the drip, drip, drip of hints that 'something big' was due the death was not as shocking as it should have been.
    I was enjoying the first proper case for weeks now it will be ages taken up with the fallout of this.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    I am gutted.:cry::cry::cry:

I loved Will ...just won't be the same without him.:cry::cry::cry:
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Shame so many people decided to ruin it for others over the past few weeks.

Now it's out the way, any word on why it happened? I don't want to look it up in case I find any other spoilers. (thought I'm sure there are already people waiting to ruin the remaining episodes for the rest of us)
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't got a clue Will was going to be killed and I'm gutted!

I'm sort of wishing they would have a Dallas "shower scene" episode next, that's how bad I feel. :(:(:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Some dipstick spoilered it for me weeks ago in a review for a completely different show (you'd think you were relatively safe from TGW spoilers when reading up on The Walking Dead...). It took all the suspense and impact out of the final third of last night's episode because as soon as I saw the defendant looking at the gun I realised what was about to happen, even without knowing any of the details beforehand other than Will's demise.

On the one hand, he'll be greatly missed. On the other, TGW's ensemble cast has such a wealth of talent that a lot of excellent characters are frequently marginalised to make way for a force of nature like Will, who can dominate entire episodes. Diane's hardly had a look in for weeks. Where did David Lee go? And did he take Alicia's kids with him?

Perhaps this leaves more room for them to shine - and draws a line under the pretty tired will-they-won't-they Will and Alicia thing that, IMHO, became a bit of an eye-rolling distraction.

Seemed like a good episode, all in all, but I was left cursing More4 for airing their episodes so late after the original broadcast - in this day and age - almost actively discouraging viewers from watching at their pace and instead finding other means to keep up to date.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew this was going to happen, that's what happens though when shows are shown in the Uk 6 weeks or so after the US. Didn't know how it was going to go down though, all very shocking
    Exactly the same with me - I was on an American newspaper site and clicked on "Shock exit" or similar without realising what it was. Shock exit of Josh Charles from The Good Wife when I started reading it. I'd have preferred not to have known but as you say, I didn't know what would happen.

I thought it was very well done - us seeing it from Diane and Kalinda's perspective rather than seeing the shooting in the courtroom... and at the hospital, no panicked trying to save his life and then calling it... he'd already been called.

RIP Will. I really liked the character. But then, as many of us have said, there are few characters that aren't likeable in some way - even Colin Sweeney!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Shame so many people decided to ruin it for others over the past few weeks.

Now it's out the way, any word on why it happened? I don't want to look it up in case I find any other spoilers. (thought I'm sure there are already people waiting to ruin the remaining episodes for the rest of us)

Josh Charles' contract was up at the end of the last season and he didn't want to renew it.

"It’s a very long season doing a network television show, and somewhere in year 4, I kinda felt burnt out. Michelle and I had a long conversation about it, and I just felt a little fried and that I was ready for something different for me. That’s no reflection on how I feel about the show, it’s just more about what I want to do in my life,”

But he was persuaded to return for one last hurrah.
    (Julianna) Margulies first learned Charles was thinking of not renewing his contract in March of 2013. “I got a call from Michelle and Robert, and they said, ‘We need to tell you something. Josh is gonna be leaving the show.’ And I said, ‘Why?‘ And they said, ‘Well, his contract is up, and he doesn’t want to renew.’ My head just started spinning. I said, ‘Well, well, well, wait. Did you see if he could do less episodes? Maybe offer him more directing gigs,” she recalled to much laughter. “I just became the Alicia lawyer trying to figure out how to negotiate this contract. And [the Kings] were both incredibly open about it. They said, ‘We’re open for anything. We don’t have enough time to say goodbye to his character properly in this short amount of episodes.’ Because we shoot so in advance, and they’ve written episodes and have a storyline planned. So it kinda meant his character was gonna just disappear, or someone was just gonna talk about him leaving, and I couldn’t accept that. I thought he’s been such an integral part of the show, such an integral part of my character, and I felt like if this is gonna happen, let’s do it right. And they said, ‘Good luck.’”

“I called Josh, and I gave him terrible Jew guilt. I knew he was about to get married. I’m good friends with his wife, and they’re dear friends of ours. I said, ‘Josh, how about this: 15. Think about it. Wait. Think about it. Money in the bank for 15 episodes. Do you know how expensive it is to have a baby in New York City?’ I went right to the kid thing, and it was disgusting, honestly,” she said. “We were looking at kindergarten for our son at the time, and I was like, ‘Do you know how much private school is in New York?’ I went on this whole thing about kids and family, and he was like, ‘Well, 15? Let me think about that.’ And I said, ‘And two directing slots!’ And then I hung up and called [the Kings], and I was like, ‘How about 15?’ And immediately they both said, ‘If we have an arc, and we know we can write starting next season and finish up this season as planned, we can do this.’ And so I said [to Josh], ‘They’re gonna write amazing stuff!’ And the next thing I knew, it happened.”
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for that digging that info/interview up, qwertyell.:)

Laughed at what Julianna did to persuade Josh to stay a bit longer. Bittersweet, really. I did wonder why Will was killed off. I'm glad it was Josh deciding to leave rather the producers' decision to kill his character off. I wish him all the best:)
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    I thought it was very well done - us seeing it from Diane and Kalinda's perspective rather than seeing the shooting in the courtroom... and at the hospital, no panicked trying to save his life and then calling it... he'd already been called.
    !

Yes I really liked that ... no long drawn out sentimental death bed scenes and final words, it was quite gritty and true to life ... sometimes people do just get killed with no chance to say goodbye or try to save them and that´s how it happens.

It was also quite ironic that really it should have been Alicia in the courtroom. Will took the call from Geoffrey in the first episode when he was trying to get hold of Alicia and because of Alicia´s betrayl Will jumped in to keep the client. Then this week the Grants tried again to get Alicia to take the case. Wonder how guilty Alicia will feel!

My only niggle about the episode was that surely the police and Kalinda would have interviewed the hospital staff earlier on something as important as whether Geoffrey with an injured arm would have been able to lift that heavy brick!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bel110 wrote: »
    Yes I really liked that ... no long drawn out sentimental death bed scenes and final words, it was quite gritty and true to life ... sometimes people do just get killed with no chance to say goodbye or try to save them and that´s how it happens.

It was also quite ironic that really it should have been Alicia in the courtroom. Will took the call from Geoffrey in the first episode when he was trying to get hold of Alicia and because of Alicia´s betrayl Will jumped in to keep the client. Then this week the Grants tried again to get Alicia to take the case. Wonder how guilty Alicia will feel!

My only niggle about the episode was that surely the police and Kalinda would have interviewed the hospital staff earlier on something as important as whether Geoffrey with an injured arm would have been able to lift that heavy brick!

That's what annoys me about those shows as well. They've had ages to prepare for a big murder trial like this and they only discover important evidence like the photos from the library and the information about the DNA on the hospital gurney at the last minute. Like you said, surely this would have been one of the first things Kulinda would have investigated and discovered.

Matthew Goode was rather good. I hope he see more of him. They should make him a regular character. What happened to Damian the Irish lawyer? Have they forgotten about him or did they just drop him. His storyline wasn't resolved.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I remember looking at the episode guide a few weeks ago and how shocked I was to see Will was being killed off!

But then I saw the interview the actor did and he'd wanted to leave for a while, so he was obviously happy to be killed off, and if it'd been up to him, presumably it would've happened a lot sooner.

I'm glad at least there's no more scenes with him and Alicia lusting after each other, which was ultra boring to watch - to me, anyway.
  • gv6lgv6l Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was great.
    I had no idea but the continuity announcer said 'something' whilst not giving the game away I felt something was up.

I cant imagine TGW without Will. I've loved all the flashbacks.
    Unfinished business for Alicia that never will be now......
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn`t a clue other than something big was going to happen. Awesome ep.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what annoys me about those shows as well. They've had ages to prepare for a big murder trial like this and they only discover important evidence like the photos from the library and the information about the DNA on the hospital gurney at the last minute. Like you said, surely this would have been one of the first things Kulinda would have investigated and discovered.

Matthew Goode was rather good. I hope he see more of him. They should make him a regular character. What happened to Damian the Irish lawyer? Have they forgotten about him or did they just drop him. His storyline wasn't resolved.
    I Agree Matthew Goode was great. I'm sure I read his character will be kept on. As far as Damien is concerned he just disappeared, dunno why? Odd?:confused:
    Forum Member
    Anyone else think this will be the cataylst for LG (or L as it is now!) to (re-)merge with Florrick Agos?
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I accidentally came across an article about Will dying a few weeks ago.
    Still shocked me though.
    A really gritty and almost surreal ending.
    I'm going to miss Will. :(
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    Anyone else think this will be the cataylst for LG (or L as it is now!) to (re-)merge with Florrick Agos?

That's what I think.
    They'll all decide to put their differences aside after the tragedy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I signed up to DS Forums just a couple of weeks ago because I was tired of not having anyone to speak to about The Good Wife. Everyone else I know who watches the show, watches at US pace and that's of no use to me!

As for last night's ep, I was completely floored. I saw, via Twitter timeline, that something big happened in the US a good while back but thankfully, somehow, I managed to avoid any spoilers.

I could see that Grant kid was about to do something stupid but I had absolutely no idea it would be THAT. I'm so seriously gutted about Will! Gutted about so many things. Josh Charles going is going to be such a huge loss to the show. I bawled like a baby last night, you'd almost think Will Gardner was a real person :blush:
    Forum Member
    charlie1 wrote: »
    That's what I think.
    They'll all decide to put their differences aside after the tragedy.

Yes. I have been expecting them all to re-form as one firm at some stage anyway.
    Forum Member
    IamNads wrote: »
    ...I'm so seriously gutted about Will! Gutted about so many things. Josh Charles going is going to be such a huge loss to the show. I bawled like a baby last night, you'd almost think Will Gardner was a real person :blush:

It's a testament to the excellent writing that we have all come to care about the characters and feel a loss like this so deeply.