Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of good points joeysneddon, well put.
    Once upon a time an attention seeker such as this may have spouted this sort of dopey nonsense in a pub, or perhaps put out his own fanzine, but it was so much easier to ignore such people.
    Now we have the internet (and specifically Twitter, where you actually have people actively following what you say, regardless of the level of dopiness) and so it's so much easier to spread their stories and lies and rumours they made up. Once these have been retweeted or forwarded on a number of times the stories take on a life of their own and it becomes almost impossible to spot the truth amongst the nonsense.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a nice guy, but he doesn't have half as much information as he claims to. He's been stirring the omnirumour pot for about a year now and nothing he has "predicted" or "known" or "heard" come to pass.

His approach seems to be 'spray in all directions and hope something sticks so I can take credit'. He knows the BFI thing is on this week, so tweets an ambiguously worded reference to a missing episode. If it's announced, he can say that's what he meant - see, he has sources! If it's not he can say that's what he meant — cos he has sources, you know!

Either way, he will then get to claim credit for having "told" everyone beforehand what was happening (despite not) ergo they should believe him when he says something next time.

;-)

His new series info and hints are generally top notch, but yea it seems he knows as much as anyone else does about what is going on with the Missing Episodes
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a fairly strong rumour going around on Twitter that three complete serials have been found in Australia. They are Marco Polo, The Power of the Daleks and The Evil of the Daleks.

Oh bloody hell, here we go again.
  • Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/news/press_releases/2014/bbc_store.html

A pay version of iplayer with permanent downloads has been brewing for some time.

Thanks. That clears things up! I was getting worried that they would start charging extra to use iplayer!
  • nextexitnextexit Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Morris is doing a Q&A on facebook at 9pm apparently

https://www.facebook.com/groups/646394605395870/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Q: "have you found more missing episodes of Doctor Who?!! A simple yes or no would be fine."

A: "a tricky one to answer
    And fans will just want a yes or no haven't you or have you. But its complex all I can say is the wind is blowing the right way be patient."

Also of interest, "the restoration team do the most stunning work im sure you all agree and they are good friends of mine . However due to the scale of the business T.i.e.a do restoration work inhouse with restored materials to exacting standards ."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    nextexit wrote: »
    Q: "have you found more missing episodes of Doctor Who?!! A simple yes or no would be fine."

And fans will just want a yes or no haven't you or have you. But its complex all I can say is the wind is blowing the right way be patient."

Also of interest, "the restoration team do the most stunning work im sure you all agree and they are good friends of mine . However due to the scale of the business T.i.e.a do restoration work inhouse with restored materials to exacting standards ."

This answer will go down well and be warmly received by everyone, I'm sure.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder why he can't give a straight answer......Are they in a state of quantum uncertainty? Is he keeping them in a box with his cat?

One dismal interpretation would be that he has the cans but it's doubtful as to what can be usefully restored. I wonder, would people prefer to be told that, for instance, Power of the Daleks was retrieved but was found to be not restoreable, or be kept ignorant of how close it came to being returned.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Werthead wrote: »
    This answer will go down well and be warmly received by everyone, I'm sure.

To be honest when I first heard about this Q&A I imagined a much more vague answer than even the one he gave.

With the answer he gave you would be left wondering what has gone wrong if no more episodes turn up. I am more confident than ever more are on the way at some point.
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Sounds to me like he's either unsure if things can be restored or he's still negotiating to get things back.

By no means a confirmation that we'll ever get to see more episodes, but sounds like he's at least located something, whether he has it or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Q: "Is it still true that you have never found an unsalvageable episode of Doctor Who? Does part of your work include dealing and negotiating with private collectors?"
    A: "Thats not true I did locate some b/w jon pertwee episodes that were mush . ambassador of death part two I think .Thankfully nothing that was missing."
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,080
    Forum Member
    An interesting but confusing Q&A session. On the one hand Phil suggests that keeping a low profile is important and that his face appearing across the media is not good for him when he's at the overseas stations. Which is understandable. But then he did a Q&A at the exact moment when the Missing Episodes rumours were at their lowest, as if to keep things bubbling along and to keep fans interest. I find that confusing, though I suppose it's a world of difference to keep fans interest to being on the news.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wonder if the in-house restoration could be a way of charging the BBC for a legitimate service, seeing as the episodes themselves have always been BBC property?
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Ian Levine was spitting feathers again about this Q&A yesterday as well. It got even more heated than usual with him and Philip Morris.

Maybe there are more episodes out there, but we're clearly not going to be getting any solid information for the time being though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to say this, but I think I might be feeling a little sympathy for Mr Levine.

He shouldn't be doing Q&A sessions if he is also asking the fans to be patient and wait. If this is all some big complicated deal, just keep quiet yourself and have a low profile until you have something to say.
    Forum Member
    From what I read the Q&A didn't reveal anything to go on, so it did seem a little pointless though.

I wish I could sympathise with Levine but his childish tantrums are just too much already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I wish I could sympathise with Levine but his childish tantrums are just too much already.

Yep, you're right. Let's just say I feel a little sympathy for his complaint, rather than the man.

I did laugh when I saw the story headline over at doctorwhoworldwide - "Phil Morris States No Announcements Forthcoming, New Information, Attacks Ian Levine"
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    I wonder why he can't give a straight answer......Are they in a state of quantum uncertainty? Is he keeping them in a box with his cat?

One dismal interpretation would be that he has the cans but it's doubtful as to what can be usefully restored. I wonder, would people prefer to be told that, for instance, Power of the Daleks was retrieved but was found to be not restoreable, or be kept ignorant of how close it came to being returned.

Another interpretation might be that he knows missing episodes to exist abroad but hasn't successfully negotiated for their return as yet.

Or else he may simple not want to confirm he has stuff back in his possession just in case this whole thing ends up in a nasty legal mess with him and the BBC ("You are to return all materials in your possession" type of thing).

But, yes, continually implying that *any* publicity is going to (somehow) damage recoveries and then holding a public Q&A session is rather a strange thing to do. Furthermore, since people are really only interested in one question (namely, "What have you found?") being vague and non-committal in answering that one question does rather render the whole exercise a waste of time.

However, presumably no announcement/s expected in the near future though, or it would have been easy to say, "Fans will only have to hold on for another couple of weeks [or months]."
  • Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,383
    Forum Member
    I'm starting to wonder whether he's only got some episodes for certain stories and is in negotiation to complete these stories.

It's tempting to think that he might just turn up to an archive and find a missing story with all episodes intact. But, given that odd stray episodes have turned up previously, and that The Web Of Fear had a missing episode I'm wondering whether he's got a few incomplete stories that he's "working on".

If for example he'd secured episodes 2, 4, 6 and 7 of Marco Polo and was in negotiation to secure the rest then the hold up would make more sense as the BBC would no doubt prefer to release complete stories rather than ones with episodes missing.

That might also explain the hold up with The Underwater Menace.

Is anyone still buying the 'the animation is on hold because another job came in' excuse :confused::confused:

I wonder whether he's either got a lead on one or both of the other missing episodes or is currently engaged in negotiations to secure them :confused:
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Oh for goodness sake. It's a simple enough question. Either he has the episodes or he doesn't. It either falls into the yes or no category.

If the situation is that delicate or complex then don't hold a Q&A in the first place!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sake. It's a simple enough question. Either he has the episodes or he doesn't. It either falls into the yes or no category.

If the situation is that delicate or complex then don't hold a Q&A in the first place!

He could have contracts with Worldwide or Apple etc that demand secrecy; anyway saying Yes if there's nothing ready to go would have caused an online meltdown.

The point of the Q&A was clearly to say to people not to believe rumours that an announcement will happen in the near future.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is anyone still buying the 'the animation is on hold because another job came in' excuse :confused::confused:

I wonder whether he's either got a lead on one or both of the other missing episodes or is currently engaged in negotiations to secure them :confused:

Something like that has to be the case. Seriously. Otherwise, why would they not have released it as of yet with the animation. Right now, on the 2014 Classic DVD release thread, the Underwater Menace has been the very last item on the docket for months and we still don't have a date for it as of yet. :/
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I'm starting to wonder whether he's only got some episodes for certain stories and is in negotiation to complete these stories.

It's tempting to think that he might just turn up to an archive and find a missing story with all episodes intact. But, given that odd stray episodes have turned up previously, and that The Web Of Fear had a missing episode I'm wondering whether he's got a few incomplete stories that he's "working on".

If for example he'd secured episodes 2, 4, 6 and 7 of Marco Polo and was in negotiation to secure the rest then the hold up would make more sense as the BBC would no doubt prefer to release complete stories rather than ones with episodes missing.

That might also explain the hold up with The Underwater Menace.

I'm thinking something similar. Here's my take:

There are several stories where 1 or 2 episodes have been found.
    Enemy of the World & Web of Fear were the two finds resulting in either complete or almost complete stories -hence the decision:
    -let's progress those ones forward for a 50th anniversary release, hold off on the others, try and find more episodes to complete (or almost complete these stories), once all avenues have well & truly been exhausted, then (in more likelihood than animate mostly incomplete stories), re-release "Lost in Time", (or do a "Lost in Time Too"). With this release, assuming episode 1 or 4 aren't found, then include The Underwater Menace episode 2 (rather than animate the two missing ones due to cost/ modest sales of The Moonbase).

..Hopefully I actually will live to see the day if this is on the money or not, & I'm thinking there's probably less certainty of that. :confused:
    Forum Member
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »

Thanks for a split second I was excited. Then I realised its probably just another dig at Ian Levine.