Sky News apologises after presenter is seen looking through MH17 luggage

15678911»

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    I had a flashback when watching that Sky News Clip. It was of a show in the 1980s called Drop The Dead Donkey. A far fetched spoof of TV News Channels. Far fetched?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ2bvR3BT_g
    Excellent link proving that satire has become reality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I can't see what all the fuss was about to be honest and amazed this thread is still going.

What exactly do you want him/Sky to do to "put things right" in your minds?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revolve wrote: »
    I can't see what all the fuss was about to be honest and amazed this thread is still going.

The only apology that I have seen seemed a very bland corporate style one. They would be best giving as comprehensive and unreserved apology as is possible i.e. grovelling. Perhaps a substantial donation to any appeal associated with the loss of the aircraft. The reporter is tainted now so they would be best keeping him off the screen in the UK for a time and certainly not trust him with anything similar ever again.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It had died off until it was brought back again and now we will probably go through the same arguments all over again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    The only apology that I have seen seemed a very bland corporate style one. They would be best giving as comprehensive and unreserved apology as is possible i.e. grovelling. Perhaps a substantial donation to any appeal associated with the loss of the aircraft. The reporter is tainted now so they would be best keeping him off the screen in the UK for a time and certainly not trust him with anything similar ever again.

What has him touching a few pieces of luggage and then apologising immediately after have anything to do with his trustworthiness?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically it was no different from looting, the items were simply being used for gain, be it in this case in a more indirect manner.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    raheem786 wrote: »
    What has him touching a few pieces of luggage and then apologising immediately after have anything to do with his trustworthiness?

It's just a perception, he will be remembered as the reporter who looted the luggage of people killed in a plane crash. Does not matter whether he actually removed anything, that is the memory that will stick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Excellent link proving that satire has become reality.

Let's hope Game Of Thrones doesn't become reality.

If you exclude Elliot Rodgers, which most of society already has for some reason, despite him being a massive fan of the show and talking about acting it out, before y'know, eventually going on a killing spree.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    It's just a perception, he will be remembered as the reporter looted the luggage of people killed in a plane crash. Does not matter whether he actually removed anything, that is the memory that will stick.

Bullshit! he did nothing of the sort and that is almost certainly libelous.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Bullshit! he did nothing of the sort and that is almost certainly libelous.

He interfered with a crime scene and as a journalist he knew that. You can't go around moving or picking things up.
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He interfered with a crime scene and as a journalist he knew that. You can't go around moving or picking things up.
    No one is denying that, but he wasn't looting.
    Forum Member

Considering lots of people were trawling though the wreckage. Should emergency services. Not go near the site of an accident? They need to touch things too.It was shot down so what evidence could they collect in a suitcase? As far as I'm concerned it was good to show every detail of the thing. It needs to be put out the real effects of terrorism. When he hear about mass slaughter it's basically just a number. People are very selfish and most couldn't give 2 shits about people as long as it's not near them. If things are made available to the public there would be a massive outcry (by unselfish people) and our government wouldn't be so keen to deliberately interfere in other countries affairs or provoke trouble and to steal everything of any value out of that country
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe this thread has come back again it must be three weeks now - let it go.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least one newspaper praised him for his coverage from the crash site.

"looted" !! - some people need to get a grip on their faux-outrage.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He made a very full and emotional apology, let matters rest. People were right to criticise him but time to move on. How many of us can truly say we never made a mistake in our private or professional lives ?
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hes back.presenting in Iraq
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    To be honest, I think he'd be of most use to BSkyB's news channel reading the bulletins in the studio.
    Forum Member

No he's not...
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    raheem786 wrote: »
    No he's not...

Studio bound 10am - 2pm!
    Forum Member
    Gwylfa wrote: »
    Studio bound 10am - 2pm!

Absolutely - just not on the other side of the world like was said then. ;-)
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see Ofcom taking much if any action over this. It was a very unusual set of circumstances, with reporters having access to a site crash before the authorities, and it was an extraordinary plane crash in the first place. The reporter screwed up, badly, he has apologised, it wasn't Sky News' fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    I don't see Ofcom taking much if any action over this. It was a very unusual set of circumstances, with reporters having access to a site crash before the authorities, and it was an extraordinary plane crash in the first place. The reporter screwed up, badly, he has apologised, it wasn't Sky News' fault.

Well as some of the families have complained it may not just be a case of the usual complainers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727835/TV-watchdog-Ofcom-launches-probe-Sky-News-reporter-rifled-MH17-crash-victims-luggage-200-complaints.html
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcom criticise Sky News over the incident for causing "considerable offence":

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/06/sky-news-mh17-report-ofcom-colin-brazier