Long Lost Family - New series

Comments

• MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    The mum doesn't seem all that fussed does she.

Doesn't she? What's she doing it for then? I think it was courageous of her to be so honest. To take responsibility for such a decision and then be available to answer questions about it is very difficult, but you do it as the birth mother, because it's not about you, it's about your kids before or after and of course the adopted child. You are only too aware that you are putting yourself in line for criticism and judgement, but that's a position you may have chosen, or just found yourself in.It is what it is.

There's a thread in GD about how different people show emotion, people are all different, especially in public.

In this instance I would also suggest that for Steven, finding out he was adopted late was an issue and that is down to the adoptive parents, maybe doing the wrong thing, but for all the right reasons. Without a crystal ball nobody can tell what the fall out might be later on.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fans of Long Lost Family might be interested in this on BBC 1 Scotland tonight. Should be available on FreeSat outside Scotland and iPlayer later.
    DOCUMENTARY: My Lost Son
    On: BBC 1 Scotland HD
    Date: Monday 18th August 2014 (starting in 1 hour and 3 minutes)
    Time: 19:30 to 20:00 (30 minutes long)

Documentary following Carol King Eckersley's attempts to piece together the last days of Ken Bissett, the son she gave up for adoption at birth and who perished in the Lockerbie bombing in 1988.
    (Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Followed by Reporting Scotland)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Hankies.....tissues....kitchen roll....toilet roll...corner of your t shirt......at the ready :cry:
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is me or the sister looks familiar? She looks like someone who's been on TV before.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Hankies.....tissues....kitchen roll....toilet roll...corner of your t shirt......at the ready :cry:

Aw, is your old trouble back again ?

Incontinence can be so distressing.
  • nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This last chap is a bit extreme - not marrying or going to family celebrations till he gets to see his mum
  • Songbird90Songbird90 Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    nvella wrote: »
    This last chap is a bit extreme - not marrying or going to family celebrations till he gets to see his mum

Yeah i think its a pretty poor excuse to miss your own daughters 21st's.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvella wrote: »

He's tying up a lot of emotion in this, hope it goes well.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Songbird90 wrote: »
    Yeah i think its a pretty poor excuse to miss your own daughters 21st's.

Seems crazy to me. What a milestone in his daughters life and he misses it. He reckons he had a great childhood growing up in Australia so one would think he was quite well adjusted.
  • Songbird90Songbird90 Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Seems crazy to me. What a milestone in his daughters life and he misses it. He reckons he had a great childhood growing up in Australia so one would think he was quite well adjusted.

Exactly, he says he doesn't go because he thinks his mum should be there yet he's around in his daughters' lives yet refuses to be there at those times. I don't understand that.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Aw, is your old trouble back again ?

Incontinence can be so distressing.

Yes but we dont like to talk about it :D
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Songbird90 wrote: »
    Exactly, he says he doesn't go because he thinks his mum should be there yet he's around in his daughters' lives yet refuses to be there at those times. I don't understand that.
    No neither do I. I would have thought that his experience would make him want to be even closer to his kids than to stay away from their key moments.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very touching - got tears in my eyes.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it probably spiralled form him saying he didn't want to get married till he found his mum. Eventually it probably became he didn't want to partake in any celebrations with out her there. Very sad really.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I knew Stephen was ill but did he mention his condition? I vaguely heard him saying something about him almost dying, Unfortunately he's ill again. :( At least he's met his mum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come every single lost Mother story has the same theme? Young, unmarried and forced to give up the baby. They're all made out to be wonderful people who were let down and lots of young women weren't like that at all.

I was talking to my elderly Mum about this recently and some of those young girls were real goers and didn't want babies getting in the way of their lives and to be honest were glad to be shot of them. That might sound harsh but it's true.

I have a couple of friends who both had terrible, uncaring mothers and got away from them as soon as they were old enough. I grew up next to a family of 8 kids and there were at least 4 different fathers involved, despite the original Dad still being there!

Not all Mums are as lovely as this programme is portraying.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come every single lost Mother story has the same theme? Young, unmarried and forced to give up the baby. They're all made out to be wonderful people who were let down and lots of young women weren't like that at all.

I was talking to my elderly Mum about this recently and some of those young girls were real goers and didn't want babies getting in the way of their lives and to be honest were glad to be shot of them. That might sound harsh but it's true.

I have a couple of friends who both had terrible, uncaring mothers and got away from them as soon as they were old enough. I grew up next to a family of 8 kids and there were at least 4 different fathers involved, despite the original Dad still being there!

It's an opportunity for them to rewrite history to be more favourable to them without fear of contradiction as the parents are long gone.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I think it probably spiralled form him saying he didn't want to get married till he found his mum. Eventually it probably became he didn't want to partake in any celebrations with out her there. Very sad really.

Didn't his mother go on & have more children ? they weren't mentioned. Neither were Stephen's step parents .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose it wouldn't make such good TV if the Mother's didn't want to meet them !
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tbh its all getting a bit samey I am losing interest they are rolling out the same story just with different people....
  • Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    It is me or the sister looks familiar? She looks like someone who's been on TV before.

I thought exactly the same thing!
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    I suppose it wouldn't make such good TV if the Mother's didn't want to meet them !

There was one birth mother a couple of weeks ago who was a little 'cold'
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this week's episode. I found Stephen's story very moving. He comes across as very sensitive and seems scarred by being given up for adoption. I really hope he benefits from being in touch with his birth family.

Jacqueline was very kind to her mother, who also seemed a very nice lady. I found it sad that she felt she didn't deserve to have more children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »

I was wondering whether they ever start tracing someone and they do indeed want nothing to do with their family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering whether they ever start tracing someone and they do indeed want nothing to do with their family.

I'm sure that happens, they might even find the Mother first & confirm she want to meet her child/ children & then the children pretend they're still looking for her when she's actually been found ! (sounds complicated)