Options

The Bill. Discuss the AXE here.

madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
Forum Member
I've watched The Bill for years. I remember it being so good. The Cathy Bradford episodes, Serial Killer etc etc.

I can see why it is being axed. They had the opportunity to really up the programme with moving to 9o clock, but they just haven't.

I have got back into it the last few weeks though and have been impressed. Certainly tonight's episode. I enjoyed it and thought it was good. A bit unrealistic in places. Like the last bit when that IC1 was attacking Grace and Max. She went into that caravan and before calling for backup decided to make sure the other two were OK. Surely if an officer is under attack you'd at least get your radio out and press the panic button. Probably seems like a little thing, but it just annoyed me. :o

I don't think The Bill will ever be as good as it once was, but the last few weeks have impressed me. If these episodes had aired weeks a go then maybe the audience wouldn't have declined/decreased and we'd still have a show.

What do you think?

Tom :)

Comments

• Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you read my mind!!!
    i too loved the bill for years and stopped watching last january as i found waterloo road was better then the bill. But, around 8 weeks ago i got back into it and its brilliant, its not like the bill jsut a dif drama. You dont have loads of officers in differnet ranks.

i thought meadoes was super but where is he? he will always be dci to me... i liked okara and heaton, chandler wasnt bad...brownlow was brill from what i remember.

CID use to be huge now its 5 officers

i agree it has got alot better but it took a long time to get use to the change. they have altered the filmign sicen the change thougha nd it looks better but there are still too many quick cuts to next scenes and misisng out things

do we know when the last episode airs?
  • Options
    SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I have been a fan for years. The series dipped when it went to 9pm and now it has really picked up again. I think ITV have made a mistake by axing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Agree totally, i've watching for a good few years and although it does stretch belief sometimes it's not too bad. Trouble is if it ain't got a phone line competition it's finished!
    Companies have lost their way with new programs and what people want.
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since it went to 9pm it was doomed.
    The cast was reduced.
    There were far too many scenes in the police station at the expense of location filming.
    Sure, they tried tougher stories but it just didn't sit right and the writing was on the wall.
    End of an era and sad. :(
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in a post a few weeks ago, its certainly upped its game over the past couple of months when they decided to focus on crimes again rather than the health issues of the offspring of a character who has always been difficult to like.
  • Options
    madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    I am glad I'm not the only one.

Just unrealistic though. Another example. Tonight that bloke got into the ambulance. She didn't want him there yet it took another officer to tell Mel to remove him. He should have been removed from the ambulance as soon as he got in there.

I thought last week's episode was really good too. When they found the dead baby. Very shocking, but touching episode.

Also, the ear pieces. Surely you're not suppose to see them if you're on an operation. They stand out like a sore thumb. As if a suspect isn't going to spot one of them.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Last night's was a good episode (apart from the dog, not sure we needed to see that quite so much). Neil and Grace are cute, Max always manages to make me smile even though he can be obnoxious half the time. Next week's looks good as well
    Callum completely losing the plot and Kirsty telling him exactly what she thinks of his tactics - about time someone in uniform did.

I agree with those who've said before, on this thread and others, that the move to 9pm and then to Tuesdays doomed it. The cast got too small, stupid in house promotions that made no sense (how many times has Smithy said he didn't want to be an inspector and then suddenly he's happy to - though I was just happy to be rid of Rachel. And both Stevie and Jo secretly took their sergeants exams, how convenient), and too many people left all at once, or else left with hardly any mention. That said, it's been pretty good for a few months now and has actually seemed to find its feet again after the format change and move. It's a shame it's been cancelled, I've watched it from day one, but 26 years is a good run for any show.
    madlh100 wrote: »
    Like the last bit when that IC1 was attacking Grace and Max. She went into that caravan and before calling for backup decided to make sure the other two were OK. Surely if an officer is under attack you'd at least get your radio out and press the panic button. Probably seems like a little thing, but it just annoyed me. :o
    Well normally she probably would have done, but it was Max ;)
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it has improved massively over the past few weeks. I am impatiently waiting for Max to get his comeuppance - he drives me potty!

The Neil and Grace story is sweet - about time Neil had something to smile about.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be alone or in a minority in thinking this but I reckon it's been better since it's been on at 9pm. I've not missed a Bill episode for years and enjoy it more than ever now and very annoyed that it'll be gone soon. Last night's was very good.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    It should end with a massive explosion and the whole cast wake up entering DCI Gene Hunt's office, the year is 1983 and he's just been transfered to Sun Hill.....
  • Options
    LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it all the time when it was in the half hour format, once it went more soap based I lost touch, can't commit the time to stick with the story lines

I wonder if Desmond has any thought on giving it a new life on Channel 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    It should end with a massive explosion and the whole cast wake up entering DCI Gene Hunt's office, the year is 1983 and he's just been transfered to Sun Hill.....
    Well there has been talk about bringing back Gene Hunt :D
  • Options
    FreddiePFreddieP Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I too have love The Bill the few weeks, it really has got very good, I am so sad that it is coming to an end soon, maybe someone else will pick it up, but I'm not holding my breath!

Max is so annoying, however the actor is doing a really good job, I must admit I did enjoy him ribbing Grace & Neil :p

Just hope Watch don't stop showing the old episodes, like Alibi did, I love watching the old one's too, although they do tend to have the same ones on a loop!
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've liked it the last few weeks too (although I really like Neil so heh). Bit too much of Sarah Manners for my liking, but I'm glad to see a bit more uniform again recently.

I didn't use to like Max as a character, but I quite like the actor. Only now I only just realised it's him on Police Interceptors so every time I watch PI I'm seeing Max instead. >.<

Is it end of this month that The Bill finishes?
  • Options
    BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually prefer the slim-lined cast. I don't have much time for Uniform except Smithy and Stone as good well developed characters.

The Max storyline has been good and I can't wait for Terry and Mickey to take him down. I'm guessing that will be the big finale now as the other option is Neil & Grace's wedding and that isn't the way The Bill deserves to go down.

Terry and Mickey are both very likeable characters and for them to take down Max is the best option as far as I can see to ending the show, which in all honesty didn't deserve to be cut. Had ITV not peed around with it and put it in various timeslots, cancelling it, not trialing it - then this show could easily have survived and flourished.
  • Options
    simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admit I too have watched for years and a few months ago I begain to loose interest in it and agreed it had gone past its sell by date however in the past few weeks it has gone from strengh to strengh. I am quite enkoying it and and sad it is coming to an end.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    Is it end of this month that The Bill finishes?
    Yep.:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Bill_episodes
    Series 26, 31 episodes, airdates: 7 January 2010 - 31 August 2010
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Yep.:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Bill_episodes
    Series 26, 31 episodes, airdates: 7 January 2010 - 31 August 2010

Bleh, rubbish. :(
    Blokee wrote: »
    The Max storyline has been good and I can't wait for Terry and Mickey to take him down. I'm guessing that will be the big finale now as the other option is Neil & Grace's wedding and that isn't the way The Bill deserves to go down.

I assumed that would be the final storyline also. Although I also wondered if it might be related to Callum Stone also, just based on next week's episode. More likely to be Max/Terry/Mickey though.

Do we know if Jack Meadows is likely to be in the last episode? He was really good when he was at his best, especially with Mickey. I don't even know if he's still in The Bill now, haven't seen him for ages?
  • Options
    BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »

Do we know if Jack Meadows is likely to be in the last episode? He was really good when he was at his best, especially with Mickey. I don't even know if he's still in The Bill now, haven't seen him for ages?

Fully expect Jack to be in the final episode. He is around and I wouldn't be shocked if a couple of old Bill characters turned up in the final episode through some strange event. Quite possibly Jim Carver being one of them.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see ITV have taken it off ITV Player which is really annoying! They must really want to kill this programme off badly, shame that another station like Five or Virgin 1 couldn't continue with it.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    I agree that it has improved massively over the past few weeks. I am impatiently waiting for Max to get his comeuppance - he drives me potty!

The Neil and Grace story is sweet - about time Neil had something to smile about.

I'd agree with this.

I hadn't been enjoying the show much since the revamp, but just when it's improving, it's going to be finishing.

Like you, looking forward to seeing what happens with the Max storyline. Plus, he shouldn't talk to Terry like that :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was about to start a new thread but you have saved me the effort.

I have watched all of the recent episodes and they are comparable to Sherlock (a programme that I am loving) the quality is superb, the acting is much improved and there is a real tension. Why it has been axed I do not know.
  • Options
    SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see ITV have taken it off ITV Player which is really annoying! They must really want to kill this programme off badly, shame that another station like Five or Virgin 1 couldn't continue with it.

I think that is more about not paying Thames or Talkback or whatever their name is currently the cash to put it on it.

Now Channel 5 has been sold I think it has less chance of making a comeback, being that the previous owners make The Bill.

There is a facebook group if anyone is interested and it can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/SaveTheBill?ref=ts
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    I was about to start a new thread but you have saved me the effort.

I have watched all of the recent episodes and they are comparable to Sherlock (a programme that I am loving) the quality is superb, the acting is much improved and there is a real tension. Why it has been axed I do not know.
    To be blunt the ratings have fallen off a cliff since it moved to 9pm. Initially it fell to around 4m which wasn't too bad but nothing on what it used to get. Then back in April they put it in the Tuesday death slot where ITV1 traditionally rates badly and it fell to around 3m or lower. Yet just over a year ago it was pulling in around 5m per episode at 8pm:
    ITV1
    w/e 21 Jun 2009
    Millions
    1 CORONATION STREET (MON 2029) 9.22
    2 CORONATION STREET (MON 1933) 9.14
    3 CORONATION STREET (WED 1930) 8.96
    4 CORONATION STREET (FRI 1933) 8.44
    5 CORONATION STREET (FRI 2029) 8.06
    6 EMMERDALE (WED 1859) 6.55
    7 EMMERDALE (MON 1901) 6.28
    8 EMMERDALE (FRI 1902) 6.14
    9 EMMERDALE (THU 1900) 6.07
    10 THE BILL (WED 1959) 5.64
    11 EMMERDALE (TUE 1859) 5.57
    12 ALL STAR MR AND MRS (SAT 1930) 4.84
    13 THE BILL (THU 2000) 4.81

Source: BARB.

These days it doesn't even make the list of ITV1's top 30 most watched programmes of the week with fewer than 2.8m viewers. So if you take the top figure there, its viewing has halved in around 14 months!

Its axe was entirely preventable, but it's probably damaged beyond repair now so I can't see another broadcaster stepping in to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually prefer the slim-lined cast. I don't have much time for Uniform except Smithy and Stone as good well developed characters.
    I'm the opposite, I prefer stories that focus on uniform and it's CID I don't really care that much about, although Max can be quite amusing at times.
    Had ITV not peed around with it and put it in various timeslots, cancelling it, not trialing it - then this show could easily have survived and flourished.
    Too true.

I wonder if they will tie up Max and Callum's storylines in the next three weeks or just leave them open, especially Max's now that he's back in good books again after saving Grace. Callum's always been pretty good at getting away with whatever he does, the only time he got in trouble he didn't actually do anything wrong.
    Callum's story seems to reach a peak the week after next when his father dies and he goes looking for the woman his father was alleged to have raped 20 years ago.