The CNBC General Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThisGenerationThisGeneration Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    A message for cnbcwatcher - Ross Westgate is in the Squawk Box US studio right now with Andrew Ross Sorkin, Gary Kaminsky and Kelly Evans. :eek:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    A message for cnbcwatcher - Ross Westgate is in the Squawk Box US studio right now with Andrew Ross Sorkin, Gary Kaminsky and Kelly Evans. :eek:

What's he doing on US Squawk Box? :eek:
    Forum Member
    I don't know what he's doing on there, but he said there was going be a big announcement later in the show. He's in the US all this week, and I'm wondering if he may appear on SOTS if Simon Hobbs is still away or otherwise. :confused:
    Forum Member
    I don't know what he's doing on there, but he said there was going be a big announcement later in the show. He's in the US all this week, and I'm wondering if he may appear on SOTS if Simon Hobbs is still away or otherwise. :confused:

This is getting interesting...
    Forum Member
    This thread has gone quiet :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has gone quiet :(
    yes, and it's not even a Friday!

BTW I only watch CNBC for the US entertainment programmes they show, I left the business world 10 yrs ago and while it's tempting to watch some of the business programmes and discussions/forecats, it's too addictive and I just don't want to get sucked back in!!
    Forum Member
    yes, and it's not even a Friday!

BTW I only watch CNBC for the US entertainment programmes they show, I left the business world 10 yrs ago and while it's tempting to watch some of the business programmes and discussions/forecats, it's too addictive and I just don't want to get sucked back in!!

Strange really :( CNBC is indeed addictive. I think it must be the ticker. It can be hypnotising ;)
    Forum Member
    I'm back. :D

I'm still watching Squawk On the Street, but I've just about given up on Squawk Box except for watching the 2nd and 3rd hour openings which seem to be the best thing about it now. :o
    Forum Member
    I'm back. :D

I'm still watching Squawk On the Street, but I've just about given up on Squawk Box except for watching the 2nd and 3rd hour openings which seem to be the best thing about it now. :o

Why do you not watch Squawk Box any more? Is it not as good as it was?
    Forum Member
    It's definitely not as good as it was. When I first watched it I just bothered with the first hour and didn't bother with the rest of the show, but after a while I watched all three hours.

I think the fun has gone out of it now. I know it's a business show and most of the items and interviews are mostly serious, but Squawk Box has become a bit too political for my liking - particularly when Joe and Andrew start arguing. :mad:

The same old faces appear more or less every week, Donald Trump even has his own segment on Tuesday's.

They've even changed the music at the start - there was usually a song, now it's a combination of various CNBC themes. :(

Those are the reasons why I've pretty much had enough of Squawk.
    Forum Member
    Just coming in here to say that the US markets are open today so CNBC are running their normal schedule. European markets are closed, and I've only just realised that means all three hours of Squawk On The Street will be on instead of the normal two - yay! :D
    Forum Member
    Just coming in here to say that the US markets are open today so CNBC are running their normal schedule. European markets are closed, and I've only just realised that means all three hours of Squawk On The Street will be on instead of the normal two - yay! :D

Enjoy :D I'll watch some of it later.
    Forum Member
    I'll enjoy it all right :D - it's rare we get all three hours of SOTS in Europe. :( :mad:
    Forum Member
    I'll enjoy it all right :D - it's rare we get all three hours of SOTS in Europe. :( :mad:

Yeah normally the last hour is pre-empted by European Closing Bell, which I rarely watch any more as I'm not at home to watch it most of the time. I also don't like the presenter.
    Forum Member
    I notice the bar on the top of the screen has disappeared (or it had last time I looked). Wonder why that is?
    Forum Member
    I notice the bar on the top of the screen has disappeared (or it had last time I looked). Wonder why that is?

I've noticed that as well, but I don't know why it's not there today. :confused:

There was something on SOTS today which has happened for the past few weeks. It's music related and I'd like to know why it's happening.

During Simon Hobbs' first read in the second hour he asked if the music was Santana because Carl Quintanilla was doing air guitar to it, :D but all I heard was normal CNBC music and they've done this quite a bit lately - I'm just wondering if someone in the control room is forgetting to press a button somewhere so we at home can hear the songs the anchors are hearing instead of us at home getting the normal music. :(
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that as well, but I don't know why it's not there today. :confused:

There was something on SOTS today which has happened for the past few weeks. It's music related and I'd like to know why it's happening.

During Simon Hobbs' first read in the second hour he asked if the music was Santana because Carl Quintanilla was doing air guitar to it, :D but all I heard was normal CNBC music and they've done this quite a bit lately - I'm just wondering if someone in the control room is forgetting to press a button somewhere so we at home can hear the songs the anchors are hearing instead of us at home getting the normal music. :(

Maybe it's because the European markets are closed? Is it back now? The music thing is strange.
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's because the European markets are closed? Is it back now? The music thing is strange.

I switched it on to check and it's still off.
    Forum Member
    I switched it on to check and it's still off.

It was off an hour ago. Don't know what's going on.
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At a guess, I would say CNBC would have to pay for the rights to play this music, which they're presumably willing to do for its US audience (so it seems fine to them), but not for its audience elsewhere in the world. So we just get generic music instead. They're probably just being cheapskates. It's probably similar reasoning to why certain news stories get ripped out from the NBC Evening News bulletins on CNBC outside the US.
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    At a guess, I would say CNBC would have to pay for the rights to play this music, which they're presumably willing to do for its US audience (so it seems fine to them), but not for its audience elsewhere in the world. So we just get generic music instead. They're probably just being cheapskates. It's probably similar reasoning to why certain news stories get ripped out from the NBC Evening News bulletins on CNBC outside the US.

I was thinking that copyright issues might have something to do with it. :( :mad:

And just for cnbcwatcher - the ticker at the top of the screen is back now. :)
    Forum Member
    And just for cnbcwatcher - the ticker at the top of the screen is back now. :)

I'd say they just removed it yesterday because the European markets were closed. Either that or a technical fault.
    Forum Member
    I'm watching Power Lunch and they've done an item on the top 3 excuses companies will use for bad earnings reports, as it's the start of earnings season in the US today after the closing bell.

They showed a graphic listing the excuses and the title was hilarious:

The Dog Ate My Earnings! :D :eek: :o

I thought I'd share it. :)
  • the_viasat_guythe_viasat_guy Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

CNBC like all of NBCU now has to confine by regional rights. No more music will be on CNBC Europe other than ones licensed by CNBC Europe
    Forum Member
    CNBC like all of NBCU now has to confine by regional rights. No more music will be on CNBC Europe other than ones licensed by CNBC Europe

That explains it then - thanks for that.