Sky Sports Cricket Coverage 2014

Comments

• Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sky do anything with their cricket coverage in 2014 I hope they keep what is currently the Ashes Extra segment an hour before play

I've enjoyed the varied nature of it and the piece last night on the University of WA and the biomechanics of bowling actions like Murali's was one of the best reports I've seen in a while
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they follow the idea of the lit stumps and bails for the t20 blast in the uk, that they use in the big bash in Oz. great idea and works superbly. By the way what a match this morning on Sky between Brisbane and Hobart, best T20 game I've seen in a very long time.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    I hope they follow the idea of the lit stumps and bails for the t20 blast in the uk, that they use in the big bash in Oz. great idea and works superbly. By the way what a match this morning on Sky between Brisbane and Hobart, best T20 game I've seen in a very long time.

have to agree with the big bash match ...
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to agree with the big bash match ...

Big Bash has been generally good so far.
    The interest in Australia is increasing and viewing figures are good. Being on FTA television I feel they are one step ahead of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Bash has been generally good so far.
    The interest in Australia is increasing and viewing figures are good. Being on FTA television I feel they are one step ahead of us.

In fairness this is the first year it's been on FTA in Australia and that was only because Ten had a big war chest available to them as a result of being out bid for almost all the other major sports rights
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim456 wrote: »
    I see Sky are showing the NZ v WI T20s in January. Bit strange they didn't bother with the Test and ODI series but are showing the T20s.

I presume it was because they were already showing the Ashes and South Africa v India tests & ODI's. Some highlights would have been welcome though.
  • tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I presume it was because they were already showing the Ashes and South Africa v India tests & ODI's. Some highlights would have been welcome though.
    Totally agree, especially after last night's antics where NZ's Corry Anderson hit a century off 36 balls breaking the previous record of 37 balls held by Shahid Afridi. Jesse Ryder wasn't too shabby either scoring his century off 46 balls. NZ went onto to score 283 off 21 overs. Would have made a good highlights package.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suspect SSN will show the big hitting..
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    If Sky do anything with their cricket coverage in 2014 I hope they keep what is currently the Ashes Extra segment an hour before play

I've enjoyed the varied nature of it and the piece last night on the University of WA and the biomechanics of bowling actions like Murali's was one of the best reports I've seen in a while

They could do but remember for summer 2014 that will be at 930am. They tend to do those types of features during the lunch breaks. I am a huge fan of The Saturday Story
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could do but remember for summer 2014 that will be at 930am

Why? Game starts at 11am
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? Game starts at 11am

10am then
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has been asked before but has out been said as to why Michael Holding has not been working this series for Sky?
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has been asked before but has out been said as to why Michael Holding has not been working this series for Sky?
    Unable to answer your question Rob but I fully expect him to be commentating for Sky when England tour end of Feb/early March.
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unable to answer your question Rob but I fully expect him to be commentating for Sky when England tour end of Feb/early March.

From the outside it looks like he has been pushed out for Strauss
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If true the that's a shame as I think Holding is a far superior commentator to Strauss.
  • Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,674
    Forum Member

I'm not sure about that - they were both involved in the summer. It may just be that Holding didn't fancy spending three months in Australia this time.
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see the South Africa v Australia series getting full coverage. This could be a modern day classic.
    Forum Member
    Good to see the South Africa v Australia series getting full coverage. This could be a modern day classic.
    Really looking forward to this series. Glad it's three tests this time instead of the farcical situation the last time Australia toured South Africa playing just two tests.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to this series. Glad it's three tests this time instead of the farcical situation the last time Australia toured South Africa playing just two tests.

I'm shocked that South Africa - the preeminent team in world cricket - didn't get a five match series against England either in 2012 or 2008, yet India are getting a five match series this summer. Something is wrong there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't buy this Strauss in for Holding stuff one bit. Sky had 7 sometimes 8 commentators and no 3rd man in the summer, now they have 7 including a 3rd man so they are one less. I am guessing Mikey didn't want to spend a few more months away.
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I'm shocked that South Africa - the preeminent team in world cricket - didn't get a five match series against England either in 2012 or 2008, yet India are getting a five match series this summer. Something is wrong there.
    Very simple, TV rights. To get good revenue from the rights holders to show England's home matches in India, the ECB had to offer plenty of cricket involving India, hence they are back in England just three years after the last series and for five tests. Personally, I'd rather see England play South Africa over five tests both home and away.

I really hope India give England a much better challenge than the last time they toured England.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very simple, TV rights. To get good revenue from the rights holders to show England's home matches in India, the ECB had to offer plenty of cricket involving India, hence they are back in England just three years after the last series and for five tests. Personally, I'd rather see England play South Africa over five tests both home and away.

I really hope India give England a much better challenge than the last time they toured England.

I reckon they just might, you know, given this winter! ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Will Sky Sports Broadcast certain games of the ICC Under 19 World cup as not shown in the short preview clip
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Poor old Sky - two days programming to fill from scratch! I wonder what their viewing figures have been like with England's performance being so dire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saf7321 wrote: »
    Will Sky Sports Broadcast certain games of the ICC Under 19 World cup as not shown in the short preview clip

I would expect so as it's in the ICC deal, although as far as I'm aware the broadcast schedule for the tournament hasn't been fully determined yet.

It'll be similar to how the World T20 Qualifiers weren't in Sky's promos for the cricket they were showing this winter