Options

Worm composting.

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone have a home made wormery?
Im thinking of doing a sunken one, where the worms just come up into the bin (s) and can come and go as they please.

I have also seen that a lot of people put their own waste into these bins mixed with table scraps and sawdust or another medium.keeping urine separate, so no smell and putting that watered down directly onto plants.

If you have one of these how do you use yours?

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a sunken one would make taking the compost out or turning it almost impossible.

Make a proper compost heap, turn it every month and get every male you can to urinate on it!! Apparently female urine is too acid. The odour disappears immediately as the bacteria in the compost get to work on it.

Trust me, in 3 months while turning the compost you will come across entire tangles of worms and beautiful compost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Having a sunken one would make taking the compost out or turning it almost impossible.

Make a proper compost heap, turn it every month and get every male you can to urinate on it!! Apparently female urine is too acid. The odour disappears immediately as the bacteria in the compost get to work on it.

Trust me, in 3 months while turning the compost you will come across entire tangles of worms and beautiful compost.

You put a long bucket down the hole ( you do two one using and one left to cook, so to speak ) and when its ready pull it out and empty it.. You dont turn it the worms do that. Female urine is OK you just have to water it down first. .. Some ladies even empty their mooncups into them :o:D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one commercially made wormery and one home made. My home made one is made from a plastic supermarket shopping basket with lots of holes in it, placed inside a large, old plastic storage box with holes drilled in it. I got it started with shredded up corrugated cardboard (which seems to be the worms' favourite as they can lay eggs inside the 'tunnels' in the cardboard), and a bit of compost from my old wormery but soil from the garden would work as well. And I took worms from my commercial wormery to seed my homemade so I am certain they're red wrigglers not earthworms.

Urine isn't good for them. I am starting a third wormery to process some of the muck from my three rabbits but I leave the rabbit poo out for a while for the rain the leach away the urine, as it will damage the worms. My current wormeries just process kitchen waste and cardboard packaging like Amazon boxes, etc.

I haven't tried an open based wormery. I'm in my third year of doing this now and find worms born in a bin do well, so the ones born into the environment you create, should thrive in it. Keep it slightly damper than you'd imagine would work, but not waterlogged and check it now and again - if it smells bad, you've gone wrong and maybe need to mix air into it, or change the balance of what goes in. The bunny poo bin is a new experiment am just setting up so not sure whether I will mix in a bit of kitchen waste or not.

I started with 500g of worms - now probably have a few Kilos. I started one January so the worms were half asleep but mine looked lively all winter, this year as it was mild. I found at first they could only process a tiny fraction of the kitchen waste created by my family of six but now, two years plus on, they are processing all the waste we make. The compost is strong though, so mix that with compost from my non wormery 'normal' composting bins.

Don't overwhelm your worms at first - feed them small amounts and make sure they have processed it before you add more. It takes months but you will get to the point they will hopefully turnover everything you can feed them.

You will get to the point where the worms won't increase in numbers, and they are at full capacity in the bin you have. Then start a new bin. Think it is more likely to be successful if you seed it with eggs, as well as worms as the ones that hatch in there will thrive in there best.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one word of warning - I used to use compost heap work for fishing and I found that the yellow fluid they exude gave me bad skin cracks on the joints of my fingers. Best to wear rubber gloves if you're likely to be handling them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. I'm getting right excited.:blush:

I started two of them, one half buried with holes in the bottom for the worms to come and go as they wish. The other is a dustbin and I'm waiting for the worms to arrive for that one.

So I shall be very patient and not give them to much and then gradually give them more over time.

I have been told to water urine down and then water plants with it?