Am I being unreasonable? (Please read before saying yes!)

clsyorkshireclsyorkshire Posts: 791
Forum Member
✭✭
We have some friends down south - a mother, father, two boys aged 8 and 5, and they have also have a newborn daughter.

They are looking for a weekend away and my wife (half joking in the first instance) asked them on Facebook to stay with us at our house. After a day or so, they have now asked if they can stay. I'm somewhat annoyed that she invited them without talking to me first. More so because now I don't feel like I can say no.

My wife is currently off work as she works in a school but I am very busy and stressed at work and I really value my "chill time" in the evenings and at weekends.

As it so happens, my wife's parents are away so she has suggested we sleep there and our friends and their kids sleep in our house. For the whole weekend though I will feel like we will have to entertain them and obviously feed them, and so on.

I do get on well with them, but am I being unreasonable for considering this to be something of an imposition?

I think if we had a newborn, I wouldn't even consider asking to stay at someone's house. I don't think its fair.

Comments

• ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather you than me......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you're being unreasonable, but if your wife was joking I wouldn't be annoyed with her. I don't know what you mean by half joking?

It's an awkward situation, I feel for you :(
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have some friends down south - a mother, father, two boys aged 8 and 5, and they have also have a newborn daughter.

They are looking for a weekend away and my wife (half joking in the first instance) asked them on Facebook to stay with us at our house. After a day or so, they have now asked if they can stay. I'm somewhat annoyed that she invited them without talking to me first. More so because now I don't feel like I can say no.

My wife is currently off work as she works in a school but I am very busy and stressed at work and I really value my "chill time" in the evenings and at weekends.

As it so happens, my wife's parents are away so she has suggested we sleep there and our friends and their kids sleep in our house. For the whole weekend though I will feel like we will have to entertain them and obviously feed them, and so on.

I do get on well with them, but am I being unreasonable for considering this to be something of an imposition?

I think if we had a newborn, I wouldn't even consider asking to stay at someone's house. I don't think its fair.

They didn't, your wife offered.

As the other poster said, rather you than me.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think your being unreasonable.
    They were told they could come stay with you if they wanted. They did want to. and now you get to spend time with your "friends", who you likely don't get to see as often as you would like to. Y
    our wife is off work and will entertain them during the day, you just have to turn up for the odd evening meal out or social event which should be relaxing rather than something you have to endure.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't think you're being unreasonable but your wife got y'all into this situation...and without mentioning it to you in advance. Is she still happy at the prospect, or has she realised that it wasn't such a fab idea after all ?

How soon is this due to happen ? Is there any possibility that you could find a feasible excuse to tell them they can't come after all ?
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    It's only a weekend.

It's not that long, it'd be different if it was all week but it will soon be over.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    They didn't, your wife offered.

As the other poster said, rather you than me.

Sorry, but this^

In your position, I'd be less than happy, but other than making excuses or getting to the point, you may have to grin and bear it.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the address "Elm Street"?
  • OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I think it would be unreasonable to take the offer away from them!!!

I completely understand why this is not ideal but your wife offered and they said yes. So you just have to deal with it, sorry.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It only a weekend and you can stay in your wifes parents house . So I would just deal with it and you never know maybe you will enjoy it
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you are not being unreasonable.

You are being totally unreasonable.

How many times as a kid did you stay with friends and relatives? Or as an adult?

It's payback time and only for a weekend.

Living in Devon we often get visitors. And we always moan and have to clean up and put fresh bedding and towels out and do a big shop at the supermarket.

But the visitors always try and minimise disruption and pay their way.
    It's a bonding exercise, it's part of life.

Be of good humour and go with the flow. Your wife will probably shoulder most of the burden (although you could try and help out as much as possible).
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wife invited them she can deal with them, you enjoy the peace and quiet at your in laws.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    You're going to have to put up with this imposition now that they've accepted your wife's invitation. It's one weekend, that's not long at all. You'd be more unreasonable to withdraw the invitation, and besides, you might actually enjoy their company.
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the thing you see. If someone 'says' something on Facebook, you can take what they said but not how they said it (I.e the half joking comment)

So it's your wife who is at fault here. Let it be a lesson to her. Next time say only say it if you mean it - preferably by phone - or don't make the offer at all.

Enjoy the weekend!
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

No you aren't, I would be annoyed if my OH invited people to stay here without consulting with me
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See how it goes-if you need to sleep over at your in laws empty house so be it. Tell them you are busy at work and enjoy a good nights sleep with them dealing with their own baby etc during the night.
    As for entertaining them during the day,anhour orrtwo will suffice as they will be knackered anyway.Just enjoy the weekend for chat etc -but definately go over to the other house for sleep both nights.
    It's what I do.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you actually got enough room to put them up?
    The baby may sleep through the night.
    I would make sure you know and agree what time the 5 & 8 year old are going to bed. There is nothing worse than tired children disrupting your evening when they should be in bed.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its one blessed weekend. Not a month .
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's unreasonable for you to be pissed off about the situation. The trouble is that it's very easy to invite people to your house out of politeness or feeling it would be "nice" without really thinking it through. I remember when I was living with my mum before I left home, she invited one of her distant cousins and her family to stay with us because mum felt guilty that she hadn't seen them for a few years. A couple of days later the cousin, her husband and their six kids ages 4 to 18 turned up to stay for a fortnight; at that time mum and me lived in a two bedroom semi!

The moral of the story is never to invite anyone to stay with you unless you're fully prepared for them to take you up on the offer. But then you know that now...
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not their fault you and your wife have a dysfunctional relationship. Just have to grin and bear it for a weekend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, yes you are being a bit selfish, you wife wanted your friends to stay, and that how couples work together not always telling each other first. It is give and take.
    It is only a weekend and you have somewhere else to stay, so you need to look after them, and you don't want to... Are you sure thay are friends, my friends would do anything for me, and back the the other way, when I broke up my my wife, my friend and his family put me up for a few weeks... That what friends do...
    Maybe you should question if you are a true friend to them.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    You could try wife swapping for the weekend
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think you are being unreasonable, however I do think you have to suck it up now and get on with it. You can nag your wife to death afterwards, store it up as argument fodder & take smug satisfaction in bringing it up at every future opportunity. (I am joking of course)

So best to plan ahead now - If they have a newborn, they might not want to be out and about the whole time anyway. Leave them a fridge full of basic essentials (milk, eggs, cheese etc) & some take away menu cards, a couple of DVDs for the kids, point out the local shops, plan perhaps one activity and one meal out all together and leave them to sort themselves out the rest of the time. They might just want a change of scenery and appreciate time to chill themselves & I'm sure they'll appreciate your generosity.

Then you can have a good bitch about em after they've gone...
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    There is nothing worse than tired children disrupting your evening when they should be in bed.

I can think of loads of things worse.

Having your fingernails removed.
    A knitting needle being pushed into your ear.
    A pickaxe in the scrotum.
    Lemon juce or vinegar being squirted into your eyeball.

And many, many more...
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not being un-reasonable to consider it an imposition, but your anger needs to be directed at your wife, not your 'friends'. They're obviously not aware that when someone invites you to stay, they don't really mean it, it's just a silly thing people say to be polite, but that's the risk you take when you say it; that they'll assume you mean it and later take you up on it. Your wife needs to be aware that there's no such thing as a 'half-joke' when it comes to social media. Either you say (write) it, or you don't. Any intended humour rarely comes across in these situations.

Incidentally, just because your wife's invited them to stay doesn't mean you necessarily have to stick around.