R010 software update

Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The R010 update is beginning rollout today for 595 boxes. 89x boxes will follow at a later date. Of note for the 595 is that support is included for the Mini Connector for broadband callback, with card pairing and event/channel ordering now able to be placed over the broadband connection.

Comments

• simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My question is whether the R010 version for DRX890/895 boxes will finally allow us prior to 18th Dec 2013 multiscreen customers to officially be able to dispense with the phone line.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can disconnect it now as long as your boxes are connected to broadband. If you do get a letter, simply phone Sky up who will make the changes at their end to exempt your boxes.
    There are modemless versions of the current boxes being released soon, so I expect the phoneline monitoring is already defunct.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What version number is this R010.xxx

Can anyohe give me the actual release number?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    One other thing that this update brings I've seen is
    Option to remove <Backup> to TV Guide

Cant wait for the backup to tvguide optional removal.
    Just hate that feature. Just keep doing it by accident too often.
    I want it now just for that on my drx895 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    One other thing that this update brings I've seen is
    Option to remove <Backup> to TV Guide

Cant wait for the backup to tvguide optional removal.
    Just hate that feature. Just keep doing it by accident too often.
    I want it now just for that on my drx895 :)

It'll come, along with a few other goodies too :).
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly I assume this is an OPTION to remove the backup to TV Guide?
    #
    Also, what is the full version number?

Anything else you can now do that you couldn't before?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Firstly I assume this is an OPTION to remove the backup to TV Guide?
    #
    Also, what is the full version number?

Anything else you can now do that you couldn't before?
    Correct, it's only an option.
    I only know the version number for 89x boxes, which I can't disclose at the current time. You'd need to wait for someone to post on here stating that their box has updated. There's nothing else for 595 boxes that hasn't already been mentioned; more features are included in the release for 89x boxes but you'll have to wait to find out what they are:).
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    You can disconnect it now as long as your boxes are connected to broadband. If you do get a letter, simply phone Sky up who will make the changes at their end to exempt your boxes.
    There are modemless versions of the current boxes being released soon, so I expect the phoneline monitoring is already defunct.

Only for installs since 18th December 2013.

All multi-room install prior to that still require the phone connection maintaining, although as Mystic Eddy mentioned, if you ring up you may be able to get it exempted (but if the phone is already connected, then what's the big deal?)..
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct, it's only an option.
    I only know the version number for 89x boxes, which I can't disclose at the current time. You'd need to wait for someone to post on here stating that their box has updated. There's nothing else for 595 boxes that hasn't already been mentioned; more features are included in the release for 89x boxes but you'll have to wait to find out what they are:).

Isn't one of the functions the reccomendation service which was announced months ago as arriving late summer?
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Does Mystic Eddy happen to know if Sky ever intend to implement DD over HDMI for Samsung HD boxes anytime soon, or is it beyond the Sammy's hardware?

Cheers!

Regards

Mark
  • Idol the bearIdol the bear Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Only for installs since 18th December 2013.

All multi-room install prior to that still require the phone connection maintaining, although as Mystic Eddy mentioned, if you ring up you may be able to get it exempted (but if the phone is already connected, then what's the big deal?)..

The 'big deal' for me is I could dispense with my landline as this is the only use for it (broadband via Virgin Media). I have the adapter for my multi-screen box, if I connect the box after the software update and both boxes are on the same network is it likely that Sky will accept that if they were to contact me? Can Nigel advise if the option of connection by internet is going to be offered to all customers soon? :)
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'big deal' for me is I could dispense with my landline as this is the only use for it (broadband via Virgin Media). I have the adapter for my multi-screen box, if I connect the box after the software update and both boxes are on the same network is it likely that Sky will accept that if they were to contact me? Can Nigel advise if the option of connection by internet is going to be offered to all customers soon? :)

If the only reason you have a landline is for Multiscreen, i would just cancel the landline, and advise Sky you no longer have one, they won't cancel your Multiscreen contract for that.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can Nigel advise if the option of connection by internet is going to be offered to all customers soon? :)

it's not offered to ANY customer at the moment.
    Forum Member
    If the only reason you have a landline is for Multiscreen, i would just cancel the landline, and advise Sky you no longer have one, they won't cancel your Multiscreen contract for that.

I contacted Sky a few weeks ago and requested to connect boxes via Internet and got the standard reply that this wasn't possible at the current time and a telephone line was still required :(
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I contacted Sky a few weeks ago and requested to connect boxes via Internet and got the standard reply that this wasn't possible at the current time and a telephone line was still required :(

Phone them up and say you no longer have a phone line, see what they say then.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    Does Mystic Eddy happen to know if Sky ever intend to implement DD over HDMI for Samsung HD boxes anytime soon, or is it beyond the Sammy's hardware?
    AFAIK it's not possible on either Samsung or Pace boxes. I'm sure Sky did confirm some time back that it was a hardware limitation.
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wireless DECT connection to my multiscreen box died, I phoned sky and they removed the callback requirement from my account. I have this in writing. :)
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    it's not offered to ANY customer at the moment.

Is that likely to change soon?
    Forum Member

As others have said, it;'s not offered to ANYONE at the moment :D

But as has already been said multiple times, simply disconnect them, and if Sky get in touch tell them you no longer have a phone - and they should exempt you.

But as you've got VM why haven't you got phone via them?, or is it the VM phoneline you want to get rid of?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Isn't one of the functions the reccomendation service which was announced months ago as arriving late summer?

Maybe!
    Forum Member
    As others have said, it;'s not offered to ANYONE at the moment :D

But as has already been said multiple times, simply disconnect them, and if Sky get in touch tell them you no longer have a phone - and they should exempt you.

But as you've got VM why haven't you got phone via them?, or is it the VM phoneline you want to get rid of?.

Yes, it is the VM phone I want to remove. You say they should exempt me but what if they don't and insist that I pay two full price subs :o
    Forum Member
    Yes, it is the VM phone I want to remove. You say they should exempt me but what if they don't and insist that I pay two full price subs :o

They won't - and if they did, then simply cancel the multiroom subscription.

You can't have it all ways, there's never been the slightest suggestion that they are even considering removing the phone requirement for existing multiroom subscriptions (even assuming they ever do actually come up with some way of doing it via networking).

Why not simply unplug it (while your phone is still working) and see if you get a letter from them over the next few months - if not then cancel your phone. If you do get a letter, then ring them up, ask them to send someone out FOC to repair the malfunctioning phone connection, when they will then exempt you from the requirement.

As far as I'm aware CS's are under instructions NOT to book service calls for phone connections, unless the customer absolutely insists - but to cancel the phone requirement instead.

EDIT:

BTW, how much are you likely to save by cancelling your phone?, presumably the cost of broadband only will not be a great deal cheaper?.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it took them long enough but at least they've finally caught up.