O2 announce iPhone 4 tariff's

1235»

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blakeich wrote: »
    Looks like O2 have released the prices on their iphones. But it doesnt make sense its cheaper for an iphone if your on an 18 month contract then if your on a 24 month contract which doesnt make sense.

Yeah it's a bit confusing http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/tariffs.html

It looks incomplete...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,464
    Forum Member
    blakeich wrote: »
    Looks like O2 have released the prices on their iphones. But it doesnt make sense its cheaper for an iphone if your on an 18 month contract then if your on a 24 month contract which doesnt make sense.

they confirmed on their twitter that this is correct and not a mistake, weird wonder why!
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they confirmed on their twitter that this is correct and not a mistake, weird wonder why!
    If you look it's because the 18 month tariff is £30, but the 24 month tariff is £25. It's a longer contract yes, but it's less each month - that's why the handset price is slightly higher. For the higher tariffs there is also a mismatch in monthly amount but presumably not enough for them to worry about having separate handset prices for 18 or 24 months.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone have any idea how upgrades will work, if you are getting your iPhone 4 in an Apple Retail Store rather than getting it from O2?

I have one reserved with Apple for collection on launch day.

My iPhone contract comes to an end in early July, with my 18th monthly payment going out later this month.

I'm still not 100% sure whether I'll buy SIM free or PAYG, or go for the cheaper-up-front option of getting a new contract.

I know, going by the Apple website's reserve/collect form, that you can choose SIM free / contract / PAYG when you get an iPhone 4 in store, but I don't know how it will work if you're upgrading an existing contract (& so keeping the number) rather than just getting a new contract.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I think people need to be aware that the reading on their phone is not the one to go by, you need to log into your MyO2 account and check out your usage there, the two contradict each other, it's very misleading. According to my phone I have used just under 12gb in just under 12 months, but my account on O2 tells me I am using an average of 2.8gb a month and having checked back since the announcement of the capped allowance I notice I've used 550mb in just 6 days.

I would not consider myself a heavy user, pretty average I would have thought...... I visit a couple of news websites a couple of times a day, facebook maybe half a dozen times a day and receive push emails. I rarely reply to my emails from my phone preferring (unless urgent) to reply from my computer. I have in all the time I've had my iPhone visited youtube at the most a dozen times and never download music etc. I will occasionally check some other websites and use maps if in town, and of course I'll download the odd app, but the novelty on that has worn off so that is rare too.

I emailed O2 about this and they have confirmed that the online bill is correct, so if this is the case, in order to do the things I am currently doing I am going to need to spend an extra £25 a month with them with data bolt ons.

I would like to see evidence that the average user uses only 200mb a month, that seems to be impossible to me. And, if this is true then why change things? It doesn't make sense.

I don't see the point in owning a smartphone if you can't afford to use at least some of it's features that make it "smart".
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seearebee wrote: »
    I think people need to be aware that the reading on their phone is not the one to go by, you need to log into your MyO2 account and check out your usage there, the two contradict each other, it's very misleading. According to my phone I have used just under 12gb in just under 12 months, but my account on O2 tells me I am using an average of 2.8gb a month and having checked back since the announcement of the capped allowance I notice I've used 550mb in just 6 days.

I would not consider myself a heavy user, pretty average I would have thought...... I visit a couple of news websites a couple of times a day, facebook maybe half a dozen times a day and receive push emails. I rarely reply to my emails from my phone preferring (unless urgent) to reply from my computer. I have in all the time I've had my iPhone visited youtube at the most a dozen times and never download music etc. I will occasionally check some other websites and use maps if in town, and of course I'll download the odd app, but the novelty on that has worn off so that is rare too.

I emailed O2 about this and they have confirmed that the online bill is correct, so if this is the case, in order to do the things I am currently doing I am going to need to spend an extra £25 a month with them with data bolt ons.

I would like to see evidence that the average user uses only 200mb a month, that seems to be impossible to me. And, if this is true then why change things? It doesn't make sense.

I don't see the point in owning a smartphone if you can't afford to use at least some of it's features that make it "smart".

You must be doing more than you say to use 550MB in 6 days... I use the iPhone mainly for web browsing, email and IM and I have never broke the 500MB cap. Ofcoarse I do use Wi-Fi whenever possible so that helps, but I fail to see how web browsing and Youtube can break 500MB in 6 days.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    When I was on an iPhone my average use according to my O2 was only 80MB so well within the caps. On my current Android SE X10 I'm coming up to 2GB

Thankfully I'm going back to iPhone next week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    You must be doing more than you say to use 550MB in 6 days... I use the iPhone mainly for web browsing, email and IM and I have never broke the 500MB cap. Ofcoarse I do use Wi-Fi whenever possible so that helps, but I fail to see how web browsing and Youtube can break 500MB in 6 days.

No, I'm not and lots of use is in my house when I'm on wifi, so unless I'm doing something I'm not aware of that is a typical days use for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm not and lots of use is in my house when I'm on wifi, so unless I'm doing something I'm not aware of that is a typical days use for me.

Strange I do all the things you mention and dont even use 500MB in a month.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

I'm still not 100% sure whether I'll buy SIM free or PAYG, or go for the cheaper-up-front option of getting a new contract.

I thought only Orange had it as a PAYG option at launch ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I reset my counter last night, have checked a couple of news sites and facebook this morning but all using the wifi in my house, the counters are now at 612kb sent and 25.3mb received, can anyone explain this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reset my counter last night, have checked a couple of news sites and facebook this morning but all using the wifi in my house, the counters are now at 612kb sent and 25.3mb received, can anyone explain this?

Sounds to me like your not using wifi, do you have a wifi symbol at the top left corner?
  • Options
    Forum Member

The wifi sleeps when the phone does. If you have e-mails or anything else set to poll in the background it will use the mobile network while the phone is asleep
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds to me like your not using wifi, do you have a wifi symbol at the top left corner?

Yep, it's there, but apparently the phone clocks up all internet usage so these reading include wifi.

Anyway, I've been through all of my previous bills online since July '08, and up until Dec '09 I was using an average of 350mb per month, then it suddenly jumped up to over 1gb, another 600mb a couple of months later and then another 1gb on top of that 2 months later......I've been on to O2 and they are investigating it.......:confused:

Sorry for going off topic :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davethorp wrote: »
    The wifi sleeps when the phone does. If you have e-mails or anything else set to poll in the background it will use the mobile network while the phone is asleep

So are you saying the whole time I'm at home and not actually using my phone if emails come in it's going to uses 3G instead of wifi?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So are you saying the whole time I'm at home and not actually using my phone if emails come in it's going to uses 3G instead of wifi?

Yep. Cant remember if there is a setting to stop the wifi sleeping or not.

Next time your phone is asleep for a while at home, wake it up and look at the top of the screen. You'll see a 3G icon which after a few seconds will change to the wifi one showing it was on 3G while asleep and then turns the wifi back on when it wakes.

It's possible I suppose that it might wake the wifi up when it polls the e-mail but then that wouldn't explain why it used data over 3G over night

My current phone (an X10) does exactly the same thing though there is a setting to keep the wifi on if the phone is plugged in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davethorp wrote: »
    Yep. Cant remember if there is a setting to stop the wifi sleeping or not.

Next time your phone is asleep for a while at home, wake it up and look at the top of the screen. You'll see a 3G icon which after a few seconds will change to the wifi one showing it was on 3G while asleep and then turns the wifi back on when it wakes.

It's possible I suppose that it might wake the wifi up when it polls the e-mail but then that wouldn't explain why it used data over 3G over night

My current phone (an X10) does exactly the same thing though there is a setting to keep the wifi on if the phone is plugged in

Cheers, I just did that and yep the 3G logo was there, going to check my settings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, it's there, but apparently the phone clocks up all internet usage so these reading include wifi.

Anyway, I've been through all of my previous bills online since July '08, and up until Dec '09 I was using an average of 350mb per month, then it suddenly jumped up to over 1gb, another 600mb a couple of months later and then another 1gb on top of that 2 months later......I've been on to O2 and they are investigating it.......:confused:

Sorry for going off topic :o

I'm not sure that it dies record all usage, I reset mine this morning and it says I have recieved 16KB but I have been using wifi alot to look up pictures and read digital spy so o have used way more than 16KB
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that it dies record all usage, I reset mine this morning and it says I have recieved 16KB but I have been using wifi alot to look up pictures and read digital spy so o have used way more than 16KB

I'm not sure myself really, that's just what the guy at O2 told me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure myself really, that's just what the guy at O2 told me

The iPhone also describes it as celular data which suggests wifi isn't included
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought only Orange had it as a PAYG option at launch ?

Yeah, that seems to be the case.

I'm most likely going to get one SIM free, & then switch to PAYG or Simplicity when my contract ends in July.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your better off getting Simplicity now as you can lock in umlimited internet/data for 12 months. If you get Simplicity in July it will be unlimited till October then capped forever at 500MB.

But do agree - Simplicity definately seems the way to go :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not fussed about unlimited data tbh, & I can't swap yet as I'm still in contract.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Yeah, that seems to be the case.

I'm most likely going to get one SIM free, & then switch to PAYG or Simplicity when my contract ends in July.

What is the price for sim free ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £499/£599 for 16GB/32GB.

Given that the 3GS was previously £449 for a locked PAYG 16GB, & that Sterling is a bit crap, I don't think £499 is too bad for an unlocked SIM free 16GB v4.

Got one reserved at the Apple Store for collection.