Options

Co-Op Radio - insanity?

trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I rarely use my neighbourhood Co-Op store on the High St, seeing as the staff are almost uniformly miserable and sullen. On the odd occasion I do, I never cease to wonder at the music playing (much too loudly) on Co-Op Radio.

A couple of weeks ago, I called in for a couple of items, and they were playing "The Bends" by Radiohead. Now I happen to love that song, and whilst I despair of the predictable sludge peddled by commercial radio of all strains, I hardly think I should be the target for Co-Op radio.

2 evenings ago, whilst waiting in line for a cashier, they played the sort of obscure John Peelesque noise-fest track that 6 Music occasionally do to test the patience of their listeners. Again, I'm fine with it, as I like discordant guitars and minor chords, but a lot of the old biddies in the queue looked less impressed. Even I wasn't moved to impulse buy a Lion bar. Has the "station" been hacked by Tesco? Or is it just another example of the Co-Op's complete and utter ineptitude in all departments?

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they scrap the policy of only playing unsigned music? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10995950/Not-music-to-our-ears-Co-op-staff-launch-supermarket-radio-protest.html

It sounds like the music is still just as bad!
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they scrap the policy of only playing unsigned music? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10995950/Not-music-to-our-ears-Co-op-staff-launch-supermarket-radio-protest.html

It sounds like the music is still just as bad!

Ah, that would explain it then.

I'm all for unsigned artists being played on the radio, but surely this is just another piece of self-harming by the organisation. And this comes from a Global hater!
  • Options
    Condor7Condor7 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I cant say I have really noticed the music in my local Coop, but will make a note to listen out next time I am in there.

Just for the record my Coop, sounds just the opposite to yours, lovely and friendly and always very helpful, and obviously the music is not to loud otherwise I would have noticed it.
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unsigned music is so bad if you work in a shop and that is playing that all day and repeated so much its soul destroying.I have that at poubdland 100 songs played over and over for 11 months a year. Shops should play a mix of music 70s to now.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Its not too loud in our local Coop can't say I have ever listened to what they're actually playing.
  • Options
    RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They played Janelle Monae's brilliant "Dance Apocalyptic" in the Dorchester Co-op last year.

But at an almost imperceptibly low volume. They then played "Take on Me", the only A-ha song modern commercial radio thinks exists, at full blast.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They now play commercially issued music - you must have been unlucky!;-)
  • Options
    radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my local b+m store plays re sings of current hits by session singers its bloody awful
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt like I was in a 70's timewarp a couple of weeks ago when browsing around my local Co-op in the early evening as the 1974 sound of Shang-A-Lang by Bay City Rollers belted out across the shop! :blush:
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I felt like I was in a 70's timewarp a couple of weeks ago when browsing around my local Co-op in the early evening as the 1974 sound of Shang-A-Lang by Bay City Rollers belted out across the shop! :blush:

..... You could have completed the illusion by purchasing a Vesta boxed curry ! :)
  • Options
    kipperthecatkipperthecat Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmmmmmm rock hard rice and partially hydrated dehydrated slightly chewable vegetales and bits of very very mildly spiced leather.... yum ... those were the days swilled down with a pint of froth from a watneys party seven.... whilst listening to Bay city Rollers and Gary Glitter

sadly the nostalgic memory of 70s vintage ain't what it actually used to be...
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [ whilst listening to Bay city Rollers and Gary Glitter

Who'd want to be in Gary's Gang??
  • Options
    FL23FL23 Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Was in my local Co-Op earlier in the year and the presenter was urging me to "stay with us" with a list of upcoming songs.

Yes of course, I'll just lurk by the yoghurts for half an hour then. I hadn't got anything else planned.