Options

Newcastle United Fans - 2009-10 Season

madanglianmadanglian Posts: 1,315
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is the place for the discussion of the circus that is Newcastle United Football Club and its success or otherwise during the season 2009-10.

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

1. Is there a realistic chance that we are going to get a new owner? Or is Ashley just stringing us along? If so, why? Or is he deluded?

2. Will Al take The Job if he is offered it? Will he actually be any good at it?

3. Are our hopes of making progress this season going to be scuppered before the bairns are back at school (like last time)?

4. Who do you think our best players this season are going to be?

Amidst all the stuff going on at the moment, I found one bit of good news - our ticket allocation for the West Brom game is all sold out, despite the game being live on BBC 1 and HD

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Not sure on the owner front but hopefully soon the longer it goes on the less chance of doing well in the league we have...

As for Al if the job is offered he will take it,wether he will be any good remains to be seen i didnt seen any improvement when he came last season but to judge anyone in those conditions is harsh...

I personally cant see us doing well at all if we finish mid table i would be happy then build from there...(depending on the ownership)

Pleased the allocation is gone we need to get behind the lads,lets see what happens time to stap in & get ready for another rollercoaster season :(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Norwich fan, was looking forward to playing you this season but of course we are now plying our trade in League One.

Having come down from the Premiership and tipped to go back up straight away in 2005-06, we finished mid table, and we were in a much better state than Newcastle are now so I can't see them going up.

I doubt a new owner would want to invest in a club like it is at the moment but you never know, need to get rid of the idiot Ashley though.

I'm sure if offered the job Alan Shearer will take it and be very good at it. Play-offs are the best you can hope for.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I don't think we'll do any better than mid table.I doubt very much that we'll be sold this year.We're supposed to be losing £200000 a week in outlay so I reckon the next big thing will be administration.
  • Options
    bordersboybordersboy Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madanglian wrote: »
    This is the place for the discussion of the circus that is Newcastle United Football Club and its success or otherwise during the season 2009-10.

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

1. Is there a realistic chance that we are going to get a new owner? Or is Ashley just stringing us along? If so, why? Or is he deluded?

2. Will Al take The Job if he is offered it? Will he actually be any good at it?

3. Are our hopes of making progress this season going to be scuppered before the bairns are back at school (like last time)?

4. Who do you think our best players this season are going to be?

Amidst all the stuff going on at the moment, I found one bit of good news - our ticket allocation for the West Brom game is all sold out, despite the game being live on BBC 1 and HD

Newcastle fan here living in Edinburgh

1. Personally I don't think we will be sold - too late in the day so think we are stuck with Ashley until January at the latest. Really despise the man for all the rubbish he has done but if he can learn from his mistakes and let the manager do what he is there to do (manage!!) then he could still turn it around.

2. No doubt he would take the job but only on his terms. He would need very good back room staff though in order to be a success this season.

3. No idea - it could go either way. We could win every game, we could lose every game. It's too fine a line to decide.

4. I think this is going to be Shola's year to show us what he can do. This is the level of football he can play at. Also think S. Taylor and Nolan will have big season. Looking forward to the young boys getting a run out too.

No matter what happens I will be there to shout them on.

Howay the Lads
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Dennis Wise still involved bollocking things up for you lot, upstairs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    Is Dennis Wise still involved bollocking things up for you lot, upstairs?

No, he snuck out the back door a few months ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JFK claims he was offered a 2-year contract by Llambias :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    They ran out of Messiahs so they turned to Lazarus :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bordersboy wrote: »
    3. No idea - it could go either way. We could win every game, we could lose every game. It's too fine a line to decide.

I wouldn't be surprised if it takes us till Christmas to get used to playing in the Championship tbh. Seems there's a lot more "thud and blunder" (cf. NUFC.COM) than in the Premier League.
    Encouraging to see the bookies giving shorter odds on us finishing top than in any other position ...
    4. I think this is going to be Shola's year to show us what he can do. This is the level of football he can play at. Also think S. Taylor and Nolan will have big season. Looking forward to the young boys getting a run out too.

Me too. I think Carroll will thrive too with the so-called big names gone.

I suspect that Coloccini, Gutierrez, Jose Enrique and Xisco will go back to Spain/Italy/wherever on the last day of the transfer window, at a fraction of what we paid for them, as well.
    No matter what happens I will be there to shout them on.

Howay the Lads

And me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Dennis wise isnt there anymore....HOWEVER!!!!!he is still been paid by the club :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

And im lead to believe its around 20k a week maybe more :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    WoodsMonkWoodsMonk Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    Looks like Bassong is off to Spurs..
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Didn't you get beaten 6-1 by Leyton Orient?

I've nothing against Newcastle but I think you'll find the Championship a lot tougher than you think with no experianced Championship players.

If you don't get a proper manager (and owner) in soon then you'll be in administration and league 1 before you know it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodsMonk wrote: »
    Looks like Bassong is off to Spurs..

... and Beye is going to Hull.
    Canny bit of business, that, considering he's probably only got a couple of years left ....
    I've nothing against Newcastle but I think you'll find the Championship a lot tougher than you think with no experianced Championship players.

Yes, as I mentioned in post #10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    madanglian wrote: »
    ... and Beye is going to Hull.
    Canny bit of business, that, considering he's probably only got a couple of years left ....

I wish someone would bid for colo "the clown" and Jonas "can't cross a ball" gutierrez!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping they'll sucker some foreign club with their reputation pre-NUFC and their sob-story about how terrible life has been at Newcastle.
    I say "foreign" because I can't see any English club falling for it
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The guy who invented Billy Bass the Singing Fish is apparently interested in buying the club.

You couldnt make this up!!!!

The team might not get any better but if every season ticket holder got a complimentary fish singing "Dont Worry, Be Happy" it might lift morale a bit!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

Who? Barry Moat?

I've been gritting my teeth waiting for the inevitable jokes about drawbridges and portcullises ......

As it is, the phrase "You couldn't make it up" is fast approaching club motto status ...
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Yeah thats him. To be fair he is apparently a big Newcastle fan and could get the club for as little as £20m according to todays reports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at cold hard facts I suppose Owen did get 30 goals in 65 appearances which isn't too bad. (IIRC Only Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer have got more than 0.5 goals per game in recent years)

Sadly he will probably be remembered at SJP for the last six months or so when he was anonymous on the field and went around looking like a wet weekend when not playing.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Smith as the new team Captain?

Where the hell did Temporary Puppet Hughton get that from?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay! Up and running :)
    Obviously a win would have been nice but a point is soooo much better than losing.
    Duff's goal was a corkah and Krul made some superb saves :)
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Think you guys may have found yourself a good little keeper there - Krul will be one to watch I think.
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel sorry for Harper, 15 years as Given's understoody.

Starts a season as number 1 , gets injured and Krul has a great debut.

Great game, seemed to be deflated when they conceeded though which must be a worry, lucky WBA scored just before the break or they could have gone in 2 or 3 up.

Great second half though both teams could have won.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers! :)

Harps only got a smack in the face (or a boot) - should be ok for the next game I would of thought.

Krul's performance wasn't a complete bolt out of the blue, he had a fantastic game against Parma a couple of years back.