Friends Gripes

Comments

• Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Oh my God Ross asking Rachel to come on the honeymoon with him and her agreeing to it... NO ONE WOULD DO THAT!!!!!
    That's stupider than Joey speaking French and his identical hand twin put together.
    As if Emily wouldn't have found out.
    They could've done something like had her see them talking at the airport and storm off... but of course then we wouldn't have had the "hilarity" of Rachel going to Greece by herself ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this, but as its Friends related I thought I would post it here.

I have just recently got into this show, and was wondering if someone could guide me on what box set would be best for me to buy.

The new Blu-ray set or the 15th anniversary DVD box set for the longer episodes?

Thanks
    It really depends what you value more: better picture quality or more content, there's no right answer. The Blu-ray is, in my opinion, a great step-up from the DVDs to have the show in HD and in widescreen from the start. But you do lose the extended content that was added to the previous DVDs. It's a shame they couldn't/didn't add the extra content to the Blu-ray release (who knows, maybe the next big box-set! :D).
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    I did not really twig until I visited the Warner Bros Studios in Hollywood, and saw the CENTRAL PERKS set!

I'd always assumed that it was all filmed in New York! How dense of me.

Cue sarcastic replies along the lines of "Did you know that Red Dwarf wasn't really filmed in space either?". :p
  • lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the two episodes were Ross and Rachel go on break.

In the first Part Monica and Pheobe fall out on a double date with the Russian guy and his translator, in the 2nd part (the next morning) they seem to totally forget and start waxing each others legs :p
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    lionsof66 wrote: »
    Just watching the two episodes were Ross and Rachel go on break.

In the first Part Monica and Pheobe fall out on a double date with the Russian guy and his translator, in the 2nd part (the next morning) they seem to totally forget and start waxing each others legs :p

Maybe they were just SOOOOOO excited about Waxine! The miracle wax! :D (it's organic ;))
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I'd always assumed that it was all filmed in New York! How dense of me.

Cue sarcastic replies along the lines of "Did you know that Red Dwarf wasn't really filmed in space either?". :p

No, that really was filmed in space.

Else it would have been too cramped to fit the cameras and studio audience in *boom boom*

PJ
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geiger wrote: »
    It really depends what you value more: better picture quality or more content, there's no right answer. The Blu-ray is, in my opinion, a great step-up from the DVDs to have the show in HD and in widescreen from the start. But you do lose the extended content that was added to the previous DVDs. It's a shame they couldn't/didn't add the extra content to the Blu-ray release (who knows, maybe the next big box-set! :D).

Yeah, probably the inevitable 20th Anniversary set next year.
  • AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IT WAS FILMED IN HOLLYWOOD??????!

I've always thought it was New York, infact im sure it is, because you can do tours of the apartment in Manhattan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ Wheels wrote: »

I've always thought it was New York, infact im sure it is, because you can do tours of the apartment in Manhattan.

I'm going to assume you're joking, you don't really think the apartments were real? :D

It was all on a soundstage in Los Angeles.
  • g4jcg4jc Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Jamie Buchman's friend in that episode, was her Mad About You friend, Fran Devanow, played by Leila Kenzle.

THIS is them in the Mad About You lineup, and THIS is the two of them, just after they've walked into Central Perk.

Oh, and the local bar/restaurant was called Riffs.

ETA: Another bit of Mad About You trivia.

Anne Ramsay, who plays Jamie Buchman's sister, Lisa Stemple, has appeared in two Start Trek TNG episodes.

Thanks, :) I couldn't remember the names/places (should have checked back ages ago, but I'm usually a bit of a threadkiller :eek: )
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, and the Central Perk is happy to serve tourists :cool:
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know there is a man from NYC who bangs on about how its his apartment they show from the outside,so maybe he is cashing in on it,bit like some bloke named Kramer who Larry David based Kramer from Seinfeld on has cashed in massively from it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, is that what he was referring to, the establishing shot?

:D That's stock footage.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love this thread :)

The main thing I always remember is Ross' many birthdays! (which has been mentioned).
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Else it would have been too cramped to fit the cameras and studio audience in *boom boom*

Now that was funny!
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    The episode where Rachel hears a message from Emily on Ross's answering machine and then she and Monica contemplate deleting it bothered me. They were talking about her as if she was some sort of monster! And all because she didn't want Ross seeing Rachel anymore. Come on! Are you surprised? She was left extremely insecure after the humiliating experience of Ross saying his exes name at the alter in front of her friends and family! And THEN watched Ross and Rachel board a flight for their own honeymoon!

The way they were talking about her was just stupid. Emily gave Ross an understandable ultimatum in the circumstances. She was fighting for her marriage.

Yeah, they really bitched up Emily's character in the end didn't they? I'm told Helen Baxendale had a pretty miserable time doing it too. As you say, Ross treated her pretty shamefully, but she was a snobby brit, so that was presumably alright.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    This is why Pheobe is my favourite 'Friend'. She starts off a a goody-goody hippie but has hidden (and sinister) depths.

But Friends wasn't the type of show that suited a character with sinister depths. It was innocent and cuddly. Well, in the early seasons anyway. (The last seasons were cold, detached and lacked the warmth the series had began with)

Besides, I don't think of Phoebe as being edgy. Just a bitch.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Friends wasn't the type of show that suited a character with sinister depths. It was innocent and cuddly. Well, in the early seasons anyway. (The last seasons were cold, detached and lacked the warmth the series had began with)

Besides, I don't think of Phoebe as being edgy. Just a bitch.

Without Phoebe Buffet, we never would have had the genius that was Regina Phalange - the most consistent Friends character, I thought :D:p
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without Phoebe Buffet, we never would have had the genius that was Regina Phalange - the most consistent Friends character, I thought :D:p

The word Phalange sounds kind of naughty doesn't it.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mini gripe - when Monica and Chandler are married she tries to persuade him to take a bath. He is disgusted by the idea of 'stewing in his own filth'. Funny, that didn't stop is stewing in the tub with Monica just after they got together! Still, he did look cute in bubbles (I'm all liquored up)
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    decobelle wrote: »
    Mini gripe - when Monica and Chandler are married she tries to persuade him to take a bath. He is disgusted by the idea of 'stewing in his own filth'. Funny, that didn't stop is stewing in the tub with Monica just after they got together! Still, he did look cute in bubbles (I'm all liquored up)

I think in the episode Chandler says he enjoyed the baths with monica, but it was wet naked lady he liked. So it was sort of covered.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    I think in the episode Chandler says he enjoyed the baths with monica, but it was wet naked lady he liked. So it was sort of covered.

Oh yes, I remember now. Sorry Chandler!
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    vkmax wrote: »
    Firstly every single character except maybe Chandler was completely egocentric and selfish.

The ages were a joke! Monica states that she is 27 in the episode she meets Richard (1995) and her and Rachel were in the same grade in school suggesting both were born 1969/1970.

Yet Rachel celebrates her 30th birthday late in season 7 (2001) when she should've been celebrating her 33rd.

Also, every single season premiere picks up minutes after the former season finale.

That removes the four months off screen effectively removing 31 months (2 years, 7 months) from the timeline. Yet somehow there's a Christmas episode every season.
    Rachel is 28 in series three.
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soleil Moon Frye only appeared in one episode. Maybe she looks a bit like another actress who appeared on the show in a later series.

I always thought that character was played by Alanis Morrisette! Google tells me she was never in Friends though.:o

My main gripe isn't a continuity error, but glaringly obvious things that shouldn't be seen. In the episode where they are watching the video of "Monica" and Richard, when the guys pull Monica to the ground, you can clearly see Courtney's knee pads!!

And another episode where they have Rachel's baby shower and Monica is talking to Rachel's mum about how she's rude for not accepting her apology - she chases after her and falls down the stairs, you can see and hear the crash mat. It's blue!

And when Rachel is going to London, her coat keeps switching positions in every camera angle.

The knee pad one is the one that realllllyyyyy annoys me!
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Oooo gonna watch out for those :)