Options

roy hodgson to manage england until 2018

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With no obvious British candidates currently then we really have to stick with Roy for the foreseeable future. I can't see Alladyce, Pardew or Pulis in the role as they haven't really achieved much other than getting their teams to finish above mid-table at some point. Brendan Rogers, could be a future contender, if he does make further progress in getting Liverpool back to being a top 4 club, but it does point to a foreign manager being just as likely.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Like most fans I take far more interest in club football than international football and see the international breaks as a distraction.

All I would say tho is that after the last WC the majority of countries changed their manager - even ones who did relatively well - sorry I do not have the stats on this but I do know it is true. Yet again England had a shocking showing and yet despite this the idea of changing manager did not seem to be even contemplated. This implies that the FA bosses were happy with the teams and managers performance - perhaps we should be, perhaps all these other countries are wrong and patience and not changing every 5 minutes is the best policy.

I'll leave it to others to decide who is right - England or the other countries - but I know what I think and it isn't England :D

Btw all this there is no alternative to Roy stuff - nonsense - altho obviously we need to be prepared to have a foreign coach which tbh enlightened countries should be. Also obviously the tabloids are an issue - some would say that we get the manager we deserve given what some of the papers print and I'd agree.

The way the game in England has developed with the mega money PL greatly disadvantages home grown players and therefore the international team as does the lack of a mid season break (never used to think that but I have been converted to that pov comparing the second half of the season performances of players in leagues with a break to ours). The current discussion about restricting non EU players has some merit but you can't help thinking it should have been done ages ago and trying to impose it now will be very problematic.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way the game in England has developed with the mega money PL greatly disadvantages home grown players and therefore the international team as does the lack of a mid season break (never used to think that but I have been converted to that pov comparing the second half of the season performances of players in leagues with a break to ours). The current discussion about restricting non EU players has some merit but you can't help thinking it should have been done ages ago and trying to impose it now will be very problematic.

I am unsure as to how the PL and the other leagues greatly disadvantage homegrown players?

On the contrary, with the rules the FA has put in place to ensure that teams have a minimum number of homegrown players, surely it advantages them?

So let me get your argument correct, you believe that there are too many foreign players in the PL.

However, those that play in the PL like Aguero, Ozil, Costa, Toure, Courtois, Hazad, Oscar to name but a tiny fraction, are also lacking a mid-season break.

It affects everyone equally.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would goalkeepers really benefit from a mid-season break?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Would goalkeepers really benefit from a mid-season break?

Physically? No. Mentally? Yeah probably.

Who doesn't feel a bit better and refreshed after a week off work to unwind? Can't see why it'd be any different for a footballer under immense pressure.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me, I get too used to sleeping in 'til 11 and then you start getting hooked on A Place In The Sun and that B'n'B one.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,065
    Forum Member
    The players seem to prefer him to Capello - lets them have Ketchup!

I'd wait for the Euros TBH but then the potential list of candidates isn't inspiring.
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doublethink. For all the moaning over the last few years about how England have "never been good enough" or "never will be good enough", it seems odd that it's all Roy Hodgson's fault in this particular thread. How much better could a more talented manager do?

I think Hodgson's a good manager, if not a great one. He did a good job to get a team in disarray after Capello's resignation to top a tough group at the Euro's (not that there really is such thing as an easy group at the Euro's), he probably played an unnecessarily defensive game against Italy in the quarter-finals, but it almost worked out.

He qualified for the World Cup with relative ease despite being having a few tricky ties (although the media tried to make out we were on the brink of failure all along), and then it all fell apart in a dire World Cup. I said all along that he probably deserved to stay a bit longer all things considered, and these Euro qualifiers couldn't have gone any better, really.

I'd say Hodgson has done a decent job albeit with a disastrous World Cup, just like Capello did a great job albeit with a disastrous World Cup, but probably on twice the wages.

Anyway, it seems that respected former internationals being groomed after a period of time to take charge of the national team is not a new thing elsewhere, and I'm almost certain that's what the FA are doing with Gary Neville.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh great, a manager who thinks picking Welbeck over Austin is actually beneficial to the England team.

Yep, that's 4 goals in a top 4 side versus 15 goals in a side seriously struggling.

Really, really, really annoys me.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Oh great, a manager who thinks picking Welbeck over Austin is actually beneficial to the England team.

Yep, that's 4 goals in a top 4 side versus 15 goals in a side seriously struggling.

Welbeck's international goals suggest it is beneficial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the above post. Any decent manager would not pick a dros Townsend!

In no way has hodgson done a decent job. Any dummy could have got us to the finals, and the euros. The minute we play decent teams we are useless tactically.

We had the worst World Cup ever for England, and still we carry on with this idiot.

I heard pundits talking about Roy winning the European cup! Utter garbage.
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    I agree with the above post. Any decent manager would not pick a dros Townsend!

In no way has hodgson done a decent job. Any dummy could have got us to the finals, and the euros. The minute we play decent teams we are useless tactically.

We had the worst World Cup ever for England, and still we carry on with this idiot.

I heard pundits talking about Roy winning the European cup! Utter garbage.

exactly,we are lucky we are in such a weak euro group.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    Welbeck's international goals suggest it is beneficial.

Who is to say Austin wouldn't have scored the same/more? Welbeck is surrounded by world-class players. Austin has to accept delivery from seriously medicore players yet has scored four times more goals.

Also Austin has been a prolific goalscorer since his Swindon days. He's never been a failure at any club. Welbeck had a whole season at United where he scored 1 goal. At Arsenal he's also been a flop. Why do we reward such underachievement?
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welbeck has 5 goals in his last 4 internationals. You aren't going to drop him for an uncapped Charlie Austin.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    More years and more tournaments wasted.
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    More years and more tournaments wasted.

with a manager who should be pensioned off
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving the positivity in this thread so far! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welbeck has 5 goals in his last 4 internationals. You aren't going to drop him for an uncapped Charlie Austin.

If we go on the past, let's bring Peter crouch back!

We should pick on form, and Austin deserves to be at least on the bench.

If Kane was starting, i may even be persuaded to watch. As it is, I'm just waiting for the next pl game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last four games isn't 'the past' though is it? It's recent form, something you think players should be picked on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    The last four games isn't 'the past' though is it? It's recent form, something you think players should be picked on.
    Their club form.

No player should be picked for England unless they are playing regular club football and on form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    International form.

No player should be dropped for England if they're top scorer in qualifying and validated the selection by scoring again.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am no apologist for Danny Welbeck but it has to be said if you watch his England performances he has to be in the team - both for his goal scoring and his other contributions.

In fact tbh I'd even say that his AFC displays this season have merited reward as on the whole for me he has had a good season - being much more likely to be picked as opposed to his MUFC days has helped I think,
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am no apologist for Danny Welbeck but it has to be said if you watch his England performances he has to be in the team - both for his goal scoring and his other contributions.

In fact tbh I'd even say that his AFC displays this season have merited reward as on the whole for me he has had a good season - being much more likely to be picked as opposed to his MUFC days has helped I think,

He's not exactly nailed on to start for Arsenal though week after week is he?

Plenty of appearances from the bench,much like his Utd days.
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We win 4-0 with four attacking players scoring and still people complain.

Not even worth the bother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's not exactly nailed on to start for Arsenal though week after week is he?

Plenty of appearances from the bench,much like his Utd days.

Prior to posting I had not looked it up and him being more likely to play for AFC this season than MUFC last was just my impression. I have since googled it and after doing so I still think that is the case but what did surprise me I must admit is the number of times he played for MUFC in the past 2 seasons - over 20 both times. He has not been sub very much for AFC this season and I honestly think AFC seem to value him more than MUFC did with RVP, Falcao and Rooney as competition for a place. Even LVG said he was more likely to play at AFC than MUFC when discussing his sale.