Options

How bad is it?

Hi, seems Infinity isn't arriving here in the near future so Virgin Media is the only fast Broadband option i have at the mo'
I've looked on their forums and there's a lot of people complaining about the service.
It's hard to work out if the service is really bad or if it seems bad because of the complaints.

Any first hand impressions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    davethedogdavethedog Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I've had it for 1 year. No problems apart from poor wi fi signal however Superhub 2 is reported as much better. I had many problems with Infinity though, that is why I changed to Virgin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    only problem I have had with the internet was cost, but got a deal now
  • Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't mind their insane traffic management and not-so-great Superhub WIFI range, their broadband service appears to be very good. They do seem to raise prices very often, though, and by quite big margins.

Personally, I had a lot of "area fault" disconnection problems, which were probably just an unusual issue in my area. But between that and constant lies about a speed upgrade that never happened, I left them for Plusnet, which has been outstanding so far.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    a_d wrote: »
    Hi, seems Infinity isn't arriving here in the near future so Virgin Media is the only fast Broadband option i have at the mo'
    I've looked on their forums and there's a lot of people complaining about the service.
    It's hard to work out if the service is really bad or if it seems bad because of the complaints.

Any first hand impressions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Hello Chris,
    I have had the new Superhub for two years now first on 50MB Broadband then 100MB Broadband and now 120MB Broadband, I have had no issues with it what so ever
    except for the Superhub disconnecting me from the Internet a few times which need the Superhub to be rebooted, apart from that no problems

It is very very fast and everything including huge Windows Updates taking seconds not half an hour or so to be downloaded

I can not fault it at all, I must be one of the lucky ones

Wifi is perfect too, I use the Wireless Laptop and Apple Ipad downstairs and it is always downloading huge huge files very quickly - we are taking a second or two to download and not an hour or so like other broadband connections

I am very happy with it I must say - no complaints
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get daily disconnects which are extremely annoying if you're hosting something. They last only a few minutes, but I feel like if i'm paying £42 a month (after October) I shouldn't get any disconnects.

I'd accept one a month.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks all
    Looks like it's a luck of the draw type of thing then..might try them seeing as they're offering a 28 money back guarantee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Think it all depends where you're in the uk to how many users.

I had broadband and phone installed at the start of the year and both have been excellent. My 60mb broadband is fast and no problem on a strong connection on wifi around my house on macs and iPads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I was getting a lot of disconnects in my current property. 5 plus a day at certain times but they were for seconds at a time not hours.

VM did some upgrade work in the area and now everything is great with lower ping.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    Had it for years, virtually no problems atall.
  • Options
    Mr MacMr Mac Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I've been a Virgin customer for many years and the down-times are very few and far between but I guess by their nature they seem more frequent than they actually are. It can be 30 degrees for the entire months starting from June 1st but rain the last day in August and people would remark that it had been a 'crap summer' as a result.

The advantage of VM for me is not having to have a phone line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I've always recommended it. Had it for years and my business depends on it.

No, it is not faultless, but nothing is perfect. I'd say it was fine in excess of 99% of the time, so pretty close.

it's frustrating to have to negotiate a deal though, but at least they are willing to discuss and address any particular issue you may have.

Infinity 2 will definitely shake things up and add a bit of competition when it is fully rolled out. Great to have a choice and play them off against each other to keep a keen price and service. Previously there was nothing close.

I've ended up with 120mb, but feel like I have a Ferrari parked outside just in case I want to use it :)