Defunct Invicta FM of Kent region

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
Forum Member
Who here remembers 'Invicta FM' which was a decent local stn in Kent before the Heart rebrand? I had many a fun night out at ice discos with their djs on the mc live in person at the Gillingham Ice Bowl. The show late night love was always worth listening to. I still miss that station!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who here remembers 'Invicta FM' which was a decent local stn in Kent before the Heart rebrand? I had many a fun night out at ice discos with their djs on the mc live in person at the Gillingham Ice Bowl. The show late night love was always worth listening to. I still miss that station!

Some of them went to KMFM when a former Invicta PD was employed there but eventually all dumped.
  • GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to listen a lot in the 80's. Remember Neil Taylor, Ceasar, Geoff Fitch, Ian Collins, Glen Thompsett and a Pete Tong as well doing a Soul Show I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Also Adrian John did a stint in the late 80s after his Radio 1 gig but resigned when Ceasar the geezer was sacked
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob_Moore wrote: »
    Also Adrian John did a stint in the late 80s after his Radio 1 gig but resigned when Ceasar the geezer was sacked

Geoff Fiitch is now a paramedic:

It became a refuge for quite a few of the former Caroline presenters too, including Johnny Lewis, Neil Francis, Roger Day, Bob Matthews, Dave Owen, Nigel Harris and a few others, as well as some ex Radio London and RNI ones.

Andy Archer worked there for a few months too as PD.....
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Used to listen out of the area on 603 an excellent station sadly now just another dreary Heart outlet.
  • Ian_ScottIan_Scott Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    The original Invicta line up also included Don Durbridge, Duncan Johnson and Roger Day (now at Redstone).

If memory serves correctly, it was originally called Invicta Sound.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what about Glen Thompsett he work on the station to.
  • DesmondDCDesmondDC Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Even though I was living in Essex, Invicta was my station of choice in the mid 80s. I regularly listened to Neil Taylor in the evenings. I seem to remember he did a feature called 'Eric the anorak'.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Used to listen out of the area on 603 an excellent station sadly now just another dreary Heart outlet.

603 went for miles and miles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I think the travel reporter on BBC Radio Kent held the same post at Invicta for many years?
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »

603 is now Gold though.
  • GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    603 went for miles and miles.

Off topic a bit but BBC 3CR on 630 beams into most of Kent from where its transmitted in Luton.
  • Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Glen can be heard on LBC News 1152.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thames/LWT wrote: »
    Glen can be heard on LBC News 1152.

John Brunning is at Classic FM
  • Terry PurvisTerry Purvis Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I spent ten extremely happy years (84 to 94) at Invicta - it became a very successful station during that period and something of a benchmark for the industry. The atmosphere was like a big extended family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVED Invicta and grew up on late night hidden under the duvet listening to Caesar's show, almost falling asleep at midnight....
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to enjoy Ian Collins, and was it called The Rolling Quiz or something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Ian_Scott wrote: »
    The original Invicta line up also included Don Durbridge, Duncan Johnson and Roger Day (now at Redstone).

If memory serves correctly, it was originally called Invicta Sound.

It was indeed called Invicta Sound...there's a copy of the launch schedule in this web page dedicated to the memory of Don Durbrdige who died two years ago today:

http://justtalking.co.uk/remembering-radio-2s-don-durbridge/
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I used to listen to the Morning Zoo back in the 90s and that was pretty much it I dont remember much about it as was usually listening to pirates instead but from what I do remember from Invicta was that it was a fun station with what sounded like passionate DJ's who actually wanted to be there and get people listening. Its been shit since Heart took over.
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    603 is now Gold though.

603Khz now carries Smooth Radio.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    603Khz now carries Smooth Radio.

You do realise you were quoting a post from February when it still was Gold ;-)
  • radio_geekyradio_geeky Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Loved listening to Invicta as a kid, the Morning Zoo was a staple. It's nice to see James Hemming still steering the old ship and it's one of the reasons I tend to dip into Heart Kent during breakfast hours (it's not my local station these days).

I do remember I was rather surprised that they didn't rebrand Heart Kent to Capital Kent, as back in the day, Invicta shared a lot of programming with the pre-2011 Capital FM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    James Hemming is once again doing breakfast on his own as Charlie O'Brien leaves.
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    Invicta SuperGold was a great station, used to listen to that a lot when at my Nan's in Canvey Island, as well as The Breeze - those were the days!

Now its just bland on those frequencies, same goes for the FM outlets that were once home to Invicta and Essex FM