BBC 6 Music is worth having a radio

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
Forum Member
✭✭
Its freedom, variety and personality means it the best digital music and one of the good online music stations in this country.

Comments

• ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree - i go between it and R4 all day
  • DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    I agree one hundred percent!

6 Music is clearly a station aimed at people who love music and like to listen to it, instead of just having *something* on in the background.

Starting the weekend with a couple of hours of Huey Morgan on Saturday and having a slow Sunday morning cooking breakfast with Cerys Matthews is absolutely unmissable for me.

Oh, and Tom Ravenscroft, Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone, Guy Garvey's Finest Hour and Gilles Peterson!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I rip RadMac to my MP3 player to listen to and keep me company at work.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be better on FM, I listen to it now and again, but not that often. If it was on Fm I would listen to it a bit more often.
    Forum Member
    Why should it being on FM make a difference to you?
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Can't get into 6 Music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Why should it being on FM make a difference to you?

Because my main radio is FM and if I want to listen to radio I prefer to use it as it is part of my midi system.
    Also DAb is to be honest crap and the sound quality even on a decent system is not a patch on FM.

128Mbps in mp2 is not really that good is it, i can tell the difference even on my portable radio if I listen to say Classic FM on dab and the same station on FM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Can't get into 6 Music.

I must admit I don't know what all the fuss was about when the BBc wanted to close it, there are some good stuff on it, but you got to be selective.

a mate of mine went mad when they was going to close it and joined in with all the stuff that went on to save it and yet, I don't he ever listened to it and i don't think he does now either.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Can't get into 6 Music.

Took me a while to get into it, but I do find it a bit odd sometimes.
    For a supposedly music based station there isn't half a load of inane chat on it.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a supposedly music based station there isn't half a load of inane chat on it.

It usually gets better at night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I especially like Keaveny in the morning and Lammo's drive time show which for me plays some of the best music you will find on the radio!
    Forum Member

There is quite some 'chat' on it, correct. It's not a jukebox station. I think the difference is that it's only chat about music, not the weather/inane chat about current events with phone-ins from clueless people/sports/gardening.

Everything centres on music, even the chat. It's no wonder many of the presenters are or were recording artists themselves.

They must be meeting a demand considering their listenership is just under 2 million and slowly growing.
  • james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great station and nailing it on a weekend morning 7 until 10 with Mary Anne Hobbs.

Lose Radio 3 and push 6 onto FM :)
  • ahall41116ahall41116 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I agree. When the closure hu-har was on, I tried to listen, just couldn't get it. Then radmac moved from 2 to 6, I got an #inca dab and never looked back. From Chris 'the hawk' in the morning (although the dark lord does get a listen on the way to airports for red-eye flights) to mark Riley in the evening. The chat is interesting, educational and intelligently music based.

My next company car choice is based ENTIRELY on the fact that dab is included.

Take today for example: the way mark radcliffe handled the N-word. Jeremy vine would have been left so flustered. Message to bob Shannon: don't change anything!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahall41116 wrote: »
    My next company car choice is based ENTIRELY on the fact that dab is included.

I've started to think about changing my car and "Must have DAB" is at the very top of my requirements list so that I can get 6 Music and be able to listen to the cricket on TMS. The reception on Radio 4 LW in my current car is abysmal.

Once I change my car I won't own a single analogue radio.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member

I do find the "witty banter" a pain at work. I now listen to WXPN - great music and good sounding presenters, but little "chat".
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    mfr wrote: »
    I do find the "witty banter" a pain at work. I now listen to WXPN - great music and good sounding presenters, but little "chat".

There's a million and one stations out there where the presenter hardly says a word, for me the "chat" is like a breath of fresh air, there's humans working on the station!
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    Its a shame it is not on FM or even MW. I can only get it at home via the Freeview box. What I have been doing is taping (on a C90) without listening in the evening and then playing it at work.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I do have a car, I make sure to have Digital Radio installed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I still find it hard to believe the BBC wanted to axe. In the same way as BBC local radio it was offering something no one else was, which is exactly what the BBC should be doing with a public service remit.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member

Yes thats what I found and the music when I did hear it never appealed. Just out of interest I tuned in a few minutes ago and they are playing weird rap music.

I certainly couldn't see what the fuss was about when they wanted to close it.
    Forum Member
    R1 is too Yoof and R2 is too staid. R6 fills the huge ground in between. Actually what they could do is ditch R1 and leave that to the commercials and move R6 to use its FM slot.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get excited about the weekday shows. There really is too much chat, and it isn't good enough to say it's about music because it's possible to be enthusiastic and knowledgeable about music without rambling on and on. The daytime music format is too dominated by singles for my liking. Who actually buys singles nowadays - do shops even sell them?

The weekends are another story and rightly praised. You can almost guarantee to hear something great that you've never heard before. But why should those of us who listen to the radio during the daytime all week have to wait till the weekend to hear good music?
    Forum Member
    Rob_Moore wrote: »
    I still find it hard to believe the BBC wanted to axe. In the same way as BBC local radio it was offering something no one else was, which is exactly what the BBC should be doing with a public service remit.

Well, obviously the cost per listener was fairly high. I believe one of the highest of all BBC stations at the time. They don't exactly employ Joe Bloggs to ramble a couple of words into a mic. Also, doing live sets in the studio instead of playing standard top 40s tracks is also relatively expensive.

Ironically, the attention the station got when the BBC considered closure caused a massive spike in listeners. That drastically drove the cost per listener down in a matter of weeks.

Subsequently winning 'UK station of the year' at the Sony Radio Academy Awards in 2012 only increased the awareness.

We might see them reach a new consistent level of over 2 million listeners this year.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    As someone who used to love the "Pre Peel" slot, more than the Peel show itself, the station works for me a lot, it keeps me going when at work. In the car I tend to have R4, R3 or sometimes Classic FM. I despise all pop radio, though I don't resent it on here like a lot do, 5 Live and TS aren't for me, other than commentary and BBC Local often drives me up the wall with tittle tattle speech which should be on AM. So 6 is my station of choice. I went off it during the Douglas tenure, with the likes of George Lamb on board, it was awful.
    I think the speech / music balance is about right.
    Again, you have to be into the type of music played on it - and yes there are some gems on it, especially at weekends.
    A lot of the programming would have fitted nicely into a relaunched R1 with a different remit and to compensate I would have launched a part funded / part commercial national Top 40 type FM station to fill the gap (yes i know this would take legislation etc)

The only concern i have, is if it gets too popular, will it go a bit too mainstream??