Do you let your kids play out in the alleyways?

2»

Comments

• frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    CarrisJ wrote: »
    I grew up in the 90s, I wasn't allowed out of my mothers sight, I'm the same with my daughter although for different reasons. It is common to see 2-3 year old wandering around here with their 4-5 year old sibling to supervise them, usually barefoot!

Blimey, where do you live now?:o
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the children play out around here.
    Small town, bordered by countryside, couple of good streams, a big river and the accompanying water meadows keep the town in check. Lots of places that simply can't be built on so they are left wild with footpaths crossing them.

From about 5yo, they go out with the older ones.
    This year we managed to keep the tadpoles brought home safe from the goldfish in the pond, result.:D

Though have to say, the police presence is huge, don't know why as the crime rate is tiny, there's daily foot patrols for instance.
    I think it's to do with keeping well received stats?
    Looks good on paper overall if some areas of a county are virtually crime free?
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarrisJ wrote: »
    I grew up in the 90s, I wasn't allowed out of my mothers sight, I'm the same with my daughter although for different reasons. It is common to see 2-3 year old wandering around here with their 4-5 year old sibling to supervise them, usually barefoot!

My grandparents once saw someone's kids playing across the road in their front garden, and one of the children who was about 8 years old and they were completely naked! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I come from a small town in Scotland and kids are allowed out by themselves from school-age. They go to the swingpark by themselves. As they get older they roam further and go to the pool, down to the beach or up the river by themselves, well, in a group.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I come from a small town in Scotland and kids are allowed out by themselves from school-age. They go to the swingpark by themselves. As they get older they roam further and go to the pool, down to the beach or up the river by themselves, well, in a group.

Thing is, Scotland has that Scandanivian feel to it.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't have any alleyways. However, when I was very little in Scotland we evidently did have them and I was allowed to go out to play in them if I was with my older brother and sister. Once they evidently abandoned me in an alley and I was found much later playing in a neighbors garden that I had accessed by crawling through a hole in their fence. I was making mud pies and was covered in mud. This was in the late 80's. I would never let mine play unsupervised outdoors. We'd probably not see them again. I guess in the country it might be safer though.