Options

Move house or extend.Need your advice please

PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
Forum Member
My wife and I are in disagreement of wether to move house into a bigger one or extend.Shes wanting a four bedroom house but without the hassle/mess of extending ours but I would sooner stay where we are and extend.We have about £100,000 left on our repayment mortgage.we originally bought our house for £182,000 and had it valued last week at £160,000-£170,000(max).In our area we are looking at around £220,000-£230,000 for a four bedroom semi.The extension I was looking for was a standard one over the driveway of our 3 bedroom semi which would effectively extend upstairs only and our kitchen/dining room to be knocked through to make one large room.We were also thinking of a small conservatory or sun room at the back but this would come later maybe.
The road we live on now is very good and have great neighbours.
My wife said it would be cheaper to move also.
What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First off, you need to get a quote from several builders, as that will help you decide.
    If you moved it would cost you approx £70k to do that going off youre figures, so if youre extension costs £20k, its a no brainer, stay.
    But if it costs £140k... ok thats a exageration :D then you move.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would stay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We haven't had any official quotes but we've been told by others who've had similar work done that it would cost roughly between 25-30 thousand but what worries me and which my wife bless her cant seem to understand is that we'll lose between 12-22 thousand on the house if we sell plus the added cost with all the fees
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pfrancis wrote: »
    We haven't had any official quotes but we've been told by others who've had similar work done that it would cost roughly between 25-30 thousand but what worries me and which my wife bless her cant seem to understand is that we'll lose between 12-22 thousand on the house if we sell plus the added cost with all the fees

Stay and extend of those figures, take into account its a nice area, stay.

Trust me once most of the mess/work has been done, she will be well pleased.
    its suprising how quick you forget about all the mess and work once its decorated and youre back to normal.

Plus the markets slow at the moment, so you could be waiting years to sell. thats the case around this area.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Stay and extend. If you like where you live, then it's a no-brainer. Turn your current house into your dream house, don't enter the nightmare of selling it, and then maybe buying something not so pleasant, with neighbours from hell.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Definitely stay and extend if its an option and you like the area. Not only will it a lot better value, you will also get a better house as you will be able to design the extension to meet your specific requirements.

Your pricing for the extension seems quite low though. Am i right in thinking its a two storey side extension, with the lower part being a garage or car port?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm only going on what others have said.I'm not sure if the area we live in has any reflection on the extension quotes but we live in South yorkshire.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have friends who went through a similar decision. With two growing kids their house was bursting at the seams. They looked at moving but couldn't afford anything that they liked in their area and didn't want to move further away because of schools, jobs etc. In the end they decided to extend. Their house was a building site for 3 months but eventually it was worth it as they had a home that fit their needs perfectly.

It doesn't hurt to have a look around to see what is available in your area but it's unlikely that you will find the perfect home in the perfect location at the perfect price. If you end up having to do building work on the new place then what's the point?

Of course in the end it all comes down to budgets and how you are planning on paying for whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I'm only going on what others have said.I'm not sure if the area we live in has any reflection on the extension quotes but we live in South yorkshire.

I don't know about regional differences, but that sort of extension down here in the South would cost you at least 65k.

You wont be able to make an informed decision until you get a couple of proper quotes from builders.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I probably wouldn't look at it as saying that you are losing £12k to £22k because I suspect the type of properties you are looking at have probably come down even more. And yes, add £7k to £10k in moving costs.

So looking at your figures, you will need to increase your mortgage by £70k vs spending around £50k (guesstimate) in building work so it will be cheaper to extend.

There is no harm in looking around and you may find something that you both really like but if you like your current house and area then I would be inclined to stay where you are.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd vote with extend too.
    But do think about the whole house, will it 'work' with more bedrooms? Do you have enough bathrooms/toilets, big enough kitchen, big enough communal area and enough parking for the house to properly work as a four bed?
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    The road we live on now is very good and have great neighbours

You currently live in a 3 bed semi but you now need a 4 bed semi. If you are semi-detached then the BiB is worth it's weight in gold. Seems like a no brainer, I'd extend the current house.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just designed and tendered a 2 storey side extension to create a new bed and bath, and re config the kitchen and the cheapest quote was around £50K. Thats using the existing drive as a garage floor, so not even any costs in for a slab. North east area, for comparison.

If you've estimated £25-30K, you'll not get much more than a watertight shell for that, and you'd be boarding it and doing the plumbing/leccy yourself.

If you go the extension route, keep the neighbours well informed, get their opinions on the scheme before you go to planning and bear in mind Party Wall Act issues, else you might end up with an extended home in an area with nasty neighbours.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone here is busy extending and that means full two-storey side extensions - and in some cases, a back extension as well. But that's down south and here there is a huge leap in buying cost from three-bed / I bath to four-bed / 2 bath house, which makes it cheaper to build an extension for £75,000 - £100, 000 and end up with a hugely increased in value four-bed / two bath, that way. That's a house that is now lovely to live in but equally, highly desirable if they want to sell. A couple of owners have done the big extension and then sold for big money but most stay.

One thing I would be wary of is building a top floor extension only as you may end up with a top-heavy unbalanced house in terms of downstairs and upstairs space and facilities, which could make the house unattractive when / if you ever want to sell.

Certain types of facilities and rooms, both up and down, are expected to go with the concept of a four-bed family house - at least around here. Generous ground-floor space, with large kitchen /dining / informal family space, plus separate sitting room and study room or area is the sort of thing. A conservatory won't do in lieu. It could only be an addition, not a substitute. A downstairs utility room and wc / cloakroom are another highly desirable facility in a four bed. Upstairs a family bathroom and en suite shower room would be standard.

Plan it well, taking a broader view than just the immediate family need for an extra bedroom or two upstairs. A badly designed house is very offputting and can be a disaster, lowering the desirability and even the value of the house. Well worth spending time and a bit of money planning how to make the most of your house with a pleasing, practical, harmonious layout and the facilities that are expected in a modern family house.

You may spend more than you initially thought of but not
    more than it would cost to buy another house and may even work out less but with a more valuable house at the end. It's not worth all the trouble, expense and disruption not to do it right.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically, use a s*****g architect, a proper one.