a ghost problem

Comments

• frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    When we moved into our first house, a victorian terrace, we went to sleep in the back bedroom one night when we were decorating the front bedroom. All was well until I saw something trying to get through the window, a huge black shape, and I shot out of bed and put the light on. Nothing there. I was convinced it was giant tarantula trying to get in our house! :D (And no I hadn't watched any spider horror films recently, or taken drugs etc). The mind can play funny tricks, particularly at times of stress.

Equally my son when about 3yrs old used to talk about his great great grandpa visiting him (same back bedroom). At least it wasn't a giant spider!

I'm quite a sensitive person, and I can usually "feel" an atmosphere in a room or a house. If others can feel that too, that may also influence them - some people are more sensitive than others. I don't know if there are ghosts or not, in fact I'd love if there were some solid evidence as it would mean my loved ones incl my sister didn't just die and that was the end. But so far no solid evidence, and probably just our own brains playing tricks.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    Have a look online for your local spiritualist churches, and go seek some advice there.

This is a good idea.

Take no notice of all the people on here that say ghosts don't exist. That's just because they have never had the experience. I've seen several during my lifetime and know that they do exist.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Take no notice of all the people on here that say ghosts don't exist. That's just because they have never had the experience. I've seen several during my lifetime and know that they do exist.
    The reason we don't believe in ghosts is because no-one has ever been able to prove their existence and we know how to think properly. There are too many charlatans and other scam artists around ready to take advantage of gullible people. The OP is clearly somewhat vulnerable and should not be encouraged to believe in this claptrap - they should certainly not be directed to join 'spiritualist' groups.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    The reason we don't believe in ghosts is because no-one has ever been able to prove their existence and we know how to think properly. There are too many charlatans and other scam artists around ready to take advantage of gullible people. The OP is clearly somewhat vulnerable and should not be encouraged to believe in this claptrap - they should certainly not be directed to join 'spiritualist' groups.

Do you really believe that unless something can be proved by whatever limited tests we have available now that something can't exist? I agree that there are a number of charlatans around that prey on the vulnerable BUT you cannot prove that ghosts don't exist any more than anyone else can prove that god doesn't exist or that aliens don't exist.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really believe that unless something can be proved by whatever limited tests we have available now that something can't exist? I agree that there are a number of charlatans around that prey on the vulnerable BUT you cannot prove that ghosts don't exist any more than anyone else can prove that god doesn't exist or that aliens don't exist.

Aliens are lot more credible then ghosts and god
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really believe that unless something can be proved by whatever limited tests we have available now that something can't exist?
    It isn't about proof. It's about the balance of probability in the absence of proof. Occam's Razor is the best friend of the rational mind. If a phenomena can be explained by conventional mechanisms there is no need to bring hypothetical theories into it. Doing so muddies the waters and clouds the mind. It also lays you open to manipulation by other people.

There are dozens if not hundreds of proven causes of 'bumps in the night' that do not involve 'ghosts'. Some of them are indicative of genuine danger (eg; earth movements, structural collapse). You should not allow yourself to be distracted with frippery and unproven speculation in case you miss a genuine warning sign. Spirituality has a long history of exploitation and preying on vulnerable people. At best it's a hobby and it's not something you should encourage a recently bereaved person to get involved with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might say that balance of probability suggests that aliens are not visiting us and kidnapping random people without the governments of the world knowing about it, but it might also suggest that another lifeforce could exist somewhere in the universe.

You have to keep an open mind though, remember everyone thought the earth was flat at one time.

We might not be able to prove that something exists now but that doesn't mean it might not happen in the future.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If ghosts existed we'd have proof by now. Not just fuzzy photos, or reflections in mirrors, or orbs, or strange shapes in the shadows. We'd have actual ghostly people moving around on camera. Items moving around rooms.. that sort of thing. Ghosts are incredibly shy of cameras.. or they just don't actually exist.

I appreciate you've had experiences, not knocking that. But I stick by what I said earlier in the thread. I believe there is always an explanation for spooky goings on. But if it helps the OP to believe in her experience and seek spiritual help to deal with it.. fair enough. I just don't want anyone living in fear over something that I don't believe exists.
  • ScPDScPD Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    We're ready to believe you..

LOL :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might say that balance of probability suggests that aliens are not visiting us and kidnapping random people without the governments of the world knowing about it, but it might also suggest that another lifeforce could exist somewhere in the universe.

You have to keep an open mind though, remember everyone thought the earth was flat at one time.

We might not be able to prove that something exists now but that doesn't mean it might not happen in the future.
    Of course. But there's an awful lot that we don't know for sure so we have to go through life making guesses. A large part of getting through life safely and successfully is down to making the right guesses. That's where Occam's Razor comes in. It doesn't aim to provide proof or even a definitive answer. All it tries to do is help you make the best choice in the absence of proof.

Ghosts are simply not a very likely explanation for anything and are therefore best kept purely for entertainment value. I'd love to go on a ghost hunting weekend but not because I expect to find ghosts. I just love a good scare as much as the next person. Ghosts do exist as a psychological phenomena - that at least is beyond debate :)
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother told me she saw a ghost so I believed for a long time
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The truth is, nobody really knows for sure. However utterly convinced they are either way.
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No they didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If ghosts existed we'd have proof by now. Not just fuzzy photos, or reflections in mirrors, or orbs, or strange shapes in the shadows. We'd have actual ghostly people moving around on camera. Items moving around rooms.. that sort of thing. Ghosts are incredibly shy of cameras.. or they just don't actually exist.

But why do you think we would have proof in a physical form? This argument really doesn't make sense because you are saying we can only measure if something exists using the technology we have available at present.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well many people did believe the earth was flat at one time and people believe all sorts of unusual things even today. There are many who believe that they have seen a ghost so why are other people so keen to prove that this couldn't have happened?

There are people who believe that god has spoken to them. I haven't had this experience so I have no opinion on this. Most of us judge by our own experiences but you have to remember that everyone else's experiences are not the same as yours.

It is pure arrogance to believe that just because something hasn't happened to you, it can't have happened to anyone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well many people did believe the earth was flat at one time and people believe all sorts of unusual things even today. There are many who believe that they have seen a ghost so why are other people so keen to prove that this couldn't have happened?
    You're still missing the point. It's not about proving anything. It's about helping the OP make the right choices. Getting all worked up over ghosts and ghouls is not going to help and could lay them open to manipulation (especially from 'spiritualists' who as I've pointed out many times have a long history of scamming people).

We're trying to help the OP navigate through an unsettling experience and the best way to do that is to keep them grounded in reality. Reassure them that what they are experiencing are just normal, natural phenomena and can be dealt with as such. If you want to believe in the supernatural that's your choice but don't go inflicting it on other people especially if they are in distress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're still missing the point. It's not about proving anything. It's about helping the OP make the right choices. Getting all worked up over ghosts and ghouls is not going to help and could lay them open to manipulation (especially from 'spiritualists' who as I've pointed out many times have a long history of scamming people).

We're trying to help the OP navigate through an unsettling experience and the best way to do that is to keep them grounded in reality. Reassure them that what they are experiencing are just normal, natural phenomena and can be dealt with as such. If you want to believe in the supernatural that's your choice but don't go inflicting it on other people especially if they are in distress.

I take your point and am aware that there are many unscrupulous people around who just want to take money off vulnerable people. People are not all the same though and some do take comfort from a wide variety of things. Some of which you might dismiss as rubbish.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a good idea.

I've experienced a 'ghost' and i don't believe.

It caused me to be a firm believer and i became a member of a couple of paranormal groups right up until my mid thirties 10 years ago. I went on dozens of investigations, studied hundreds of pieces of evidence and concluded at the end of it all that the supernatural is a folly.

Interestingly, I always felt something weird like i was being watched when i used to go on investigations and visiting reputedly haunted property. My sister in law owns a large hotel in the highlands of Scotland, its an old castle reputedly haunted by several ghosts. With 4 haunted bedrooms. I've slept in all if them and since deciding ghosts don't exists, o get no weird feelings at all.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Jojo you will get negative people in this thread and negative energies from them. What you need to remember is that this doesn't sound as if there is any evil intentions. It is maybe your cousin wanting to be noticed or it could be your Auntie who is half way into the spirit world and making the transition over.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Jojo you will get negative people in this thread and negative energies from them. What you need to remember is that this doesn't sound as if there is any evil intentions. It is maybe your cousin wanting to be noticed or it could be your Auntie who is half way into the spirit world and making the transition over.

Negative energies???

Give me strength!
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can help you. There are no such things as ghosts or spirits. The sooner you realise that the sooner you can get on with life.

That was an extremely unhelpful post.

I accept that you have elaborated a little in further posts to support your views,however you simply cannot assume that because you have no experience of these things they do not exist.

With all due respect you know nothing about this subject,by your own admission you have no experiences to draw upon.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ................you simply cannot assume that because you have no experience of these things they do not exist.

With all due respect you know nothing about this subject,by your own admission you have no experiences to draw upon.

How could the FM have had experiences of them if (as they believe) they don't exist?

Having experiences of them would prove that they do exist.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Negative energies???

Give me strength!

If you don't believe then this thread isn't for you.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    If you don't believe then this thread isn't for you.

Nonsense. These negative energies can travel over the internet then can they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok people calm down, just to update not heard nothing since last week, so maybe my cousin was half asleep and woke up suddenly.
    But still doesnt explain the lights going on and off though,
    but aslong as it doesnt happen again im not fussed haha