What kind of bike/bike's did you have when you were young!

2»

Comments

• ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I only had BMX. I used it for years and years.
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMX - with number plate, then I had a road bike (racer) and then a mountain bike.... all raleigh... when I was a kid.... the BMX and road bike were sold on..... I wish I had kept them now... :(

I still use (buy) raleigh now, including the mountain bike (mentioned above) - now almost 20 years old.... and is in good condition..... my other raleigh MTB - has front suspension..... and my raleigh Road (Racing) bike is the newest, purchased last year, as I'm intending to enter the Sprint Triathlon later on this year....
  • Fancy pantsFancy pants Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a teenager I had a Raleigh Shopper with a white plastic basket on the front and a tartan box on the back, but I was desperate for a chopper bike but never got one as my mum said they were for boys!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to recall having a red one:)
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only ever had one bike..............it was a Dawes Dapper

1960s

I think it was an ordinary bike because it didn't have drop handle bars or gears which the fancy bikes had even back then............
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Dawes Zipper, pretty much the same as a chopper but a lot lighter and it had 5 gears, It also had stupid plastic streamers coming out of the bar ends which were removed after one days use. It was later fitted with a motorcycle battery and 3 front lights.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a chopper and then a Grifter I loved my Grifter, it weighed a tonne but it had gears to make up for it. And you could bend the front mud guard back so it rubbed on the tyre to make it sound like a motor bike. Then after that I moved on to racers.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    A Mongoose. It was black. Had it for a few years.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raleigh Bomber, just had a search, damn look at those handlebars. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chopper then BMX.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was young the choice was limited - bought second hand or stolen! You got a standard bike with no gears. No choices at all in those days. The Raleigh Chopper was still 20 years away!
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Raleigh budgie and then a pink Raleigh with whitewall tyres.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A sensible school bike with Dynohub and Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub gears. Tick tick tick.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I had bikes - no idea what they were called - but they were brilliant at getting you to the park and muddy.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    in the late 40's in common with most lads I was glad to have the use of a big old heavy adult bike . - New lightweight sports bikes were costing somewhere around 6 to 8 weeks wages for school leavers in those days.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hercules Hunter which was a cheap clone of the Raleigh Twenty. My brother had the bigger Hercules Balmoral which he gave to me, later, too, as I was a very keen cyclist (still am).

As a very young kid I had a red Fairey bike from the 1950s. I gave that to my mate and he was riding it down a hill and the entire front half fell off.

Now I have a Cannondale, a Pashley and a 1970 Raleigh Twenty.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    First bike I remember being bought for me was a Vindec single-gear when I was still at Primary school. Next one was a Peugeot 10-speed road bike once I could be trusted with a bike with gears. That lasted me many years before I bought a Graham Weight bike from a friend. That did me until I bought a Giant OCR road bike which I still have but sadly don't use too often.