Stephen king on BBC News.

TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Talking about The Shining. Didn't realise he hated the movie version of his book, particularly slating Jack Nicholson, and Shelley duvall's performance:eek:

Comments

• agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Yeah, he always hated what Kubrick did with it...
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely, King is one of few (maybe only) authors where I find that film adaptations of his novels are usually an improvement on the original book!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    Talking about The Shining. Didn't realise he hated the movie version of his book, particularly slating Jack Nicholson, and Shelley duvall's performance:eek:

Shelley Duvall's performance was amazingly good, the best protrayal of hysteria I have ever seen. She was too tired and worn out to be pretend hysterical, and had trouble holding up the knife and bat. The fatigue made her droop.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely, King is one of few (maybe only) authors where I find that film adaptations of his novels are usually an improvement on the original book!

Half a dozen or so maybe (Carrie, Stand By Me, Green Mile, Shawshank, and Misery come to mind). The other 40 or so adapations of his books are pretty awful!
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I always like the books better then the adaptions until "under the dome"
    I never read the books for the other tv series
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kubrick's The Shining may not be true to the book, but it's still a brilliant film and infinitely more watchable than King's boring six hour long t.v. miniseries adaptation.

And it looks like Ben Affleck is adapting my favourite, The Stand, for a feature film. Not sure how that's going to work.
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Hi all back after my ban, wasnt even going to bother coming back on here....

However, my fav Stephen King is The Stand
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

I thought King's dislike of "The Shining" film was
    common knowledge.
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Half a dozen or so maybe (Carrie, Stand By Me, Green Mile, Shawshank, and Misery come to mind). The other 40 or so adapations of his books are pretty awful!

Some reviewers like The Dark Half as well.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member

Neither did I; it was most illuminating. I thought the (really scary) book It and Tommy Lee Wallace's screen version were both fine although they've successfully put me off clowns for good. :eek:
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Hi all back after my ban, wasnt even going to bother coming back on here....

However, my fav Stephen King is The Stand

Welcome back :)

Mine's the Stand too, even after all these years, (and I loved the miniseries with Rob Lowe)
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »

I agree. I would also like to add The Mist to your successful movie adaptions list. I love that movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the adaption of Misery
  • crazybeatscrazybeats Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I hope he comes back over here for more book signings at some point.