Options

Fubar radio

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone listened to it yet? I have really enjoyed it so far mostly due to the fact that presenters can have freedom to talk about whatever they want! I wonder if stations like this will change radio?

Comments

• Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Ive been listening and enjoying quite a lot! Richard Herring, Ellie Taylor and JLC in the past few days.

I think Im on a 7 day trial thing though, I'm not keen on paying for it!
  • Options
    FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The line-up is pretty impressive. Not sure a week is a long enough trial period though. A month might suck people in better. Do you get a 'listen again' option on all shows?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I might subscribe to this, Ive really enjoyed my trial week and £3 a month is nothing.

My only gripe is...is it my phone or is the signal terrible on 3G?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had no issues listening to it on 3G yesterday
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I luckily found a promotional tweet on twitter that was offering 90 days trial. I have been quite impressed although I dont think they need the music really as a comedy talk station is a gap in the market already in its own right.
    I really hope they suceed but if I was a betting man I dont think it will last long but good on them for giving it a try. Barry from Watford is the highlight for me
  • Options
    MattTheManMattTheMan Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    It would be interesting to know how many subscribers they have...can this sort of station really survive long term?
  • Options
    gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattTheMan wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know how many subscribers they have...can this sort of station really survive long term?

Time will tell on that one! I admire the idea, but not sure whether I'll carry on paying once my trial is up.

A lot of what I've heard so far has struck me as self indulgent ramblings. Think student radio.

The exception, whether you like him or not, Gaunt is a pro, a talker rather than a comedian. For the station to work (and to get my subs), they need more great talk presenters and fewer celebs. Without the shackles of Ofcom there's the potential for some very interesting and challenging radio.

Get Tommy Boyd on and you can have my 3 quid a month.

Is anyone else listening?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think JLC is great he is the perfect person for that time of day when you just want to have a laugh after work
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It used to be awful on 3G, it kept cutting out. Then there was an update and it was fixed!

Then, another update to incorporate show downloads and it's gone again :-(
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Time will tell on that one! I admire the idea, but not sure whether I'll carry on paying once my trial is up.

A lot of what I've heard so far has struck me as self indulgent ramblings. Think student radio.

The exception, whether you like him or not, Gaunt is a pro, a talker rather than a comedian. For the station to work (and to get my subs), they need more great talk presenters and fewer celebs. Without the shackles of Ofcom there's the potential for some very interesting and challenging radio.

I think they want to be a bit more original than just copying formats from radio stations of the past.
    There's no point following down the road well traveled, might as well try and forge a new path on their own and see what works and what doesn't.

Anything with Herring on has to be a good thing, hilarious to see him and "I'm not racist because I once organised a ska night in the 80s" Gaunty on the same station after everything that went down on Collings and Herrin.

This station probably is in need of more comedians than anything else.
    Mark Watson, Harry Hill, maybe even convince Dave Gorman to give his show another go on this station (perhaps it was the sunday mornings that weren't that attractive to a stand up when he quit his absolute show?)

Really hoping this takes off though, got to respect those who deliberately try to stand apart from the crowd and give us something genuinely unique instead of just copying and pasting the same bland mainstream formula in the hope of making money.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member

Katie Hopkins would be good and i think Nick Margerrison
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to see Sean Hughes and Herring/Sanders leaving. Really enjoyed them, especially Herring/Sanders, they're a complimentary blend of styles.

The only shows I listen to now (apart from the last couple of spots by Herring/Sanders) are Peacock and Gamble, who are excellent, and I just started listening to the rock show with Ed Gamble and Joel Dommett. I'd listen to Peacock and Angela Barnes again if they do another show.

I've got no interest in Jon Gaunt, or JLC, or indeed any of the other programmes. I joined for Peacock and Gamble, Hughes, and Herring- now there's only one of those shows left, it's still worth the money I think. It's the only station I listen to.

A 'listen again' feature would be good. I listen on the PC, so if I'm out I miss the shows.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It's got Jon Gaunt is on it, he's been fubared for years.

Wouldn't listen if someone was torturing me.
  • Options
    danrichardsdanrichards Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting concept but a fairly niche one - I think they know themselves that long term survival is purely going to rely on the amount of people that subscribe. Getting advertisers is going to be hard unless they're offering some really good deals.

The other side of the coin (and this might be a funding problem in the short term) is that it's not been advertised THAT well to the masses. I've got friends who aren't massive radio fans but love comedy and love the odd comedy podcast they can find online. Fubar is potentially perfect for them but they had no idea it even existed.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    I've been listening (for free - it's on TuneIn) for the last couple of days. I've actually been quite impressed - it has an early days of TalkRadio feel in parts.

Particular complements to Sam Hutt and Lucy Anna Gray - great chemistry and effortlessly funny.

Would be good to hear it (cleaned up and with some tweaking) on DAB.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    I've been listening (for free - it's on TuneIn) for the last couple of days. I've actually been quite impressed - it has an early days of TalkRadio feel in parts.

Particular complements to Sam Hutt and Lucy Anna Gray - great chemistry and effortlessly funny.

Would be good to hear it (cleaned up and with some tweaking) on DAB.

You wouldn't think it would be on Tunein given that they are charging for it through their website. Or is it on there without their consent?
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet it's frustrating to be there effing and blinding every day and hardly anyone batting an eyelid.

I've never heard anyone in the real world mention it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    You wouldn't think it would be on Tunein given that they are charging for it through their website. Or is it on there without their consent?

Theyre not charging, its free.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Theyre not charging, its free.

Saw the free trial on their website and assumed you had to pay after that :confused:
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Never heard of it. How do people find out about these stations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    Never heard of it. How do people find out about these stations?

First heard of it through DS, as it happens!