Abortion: Ireland's Guilty Secret

2»

Comments

• Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Reading through these posts there seems to be an underlying assumption that women don't bother with contraception and use abortion as some sort of extreme morning after pill. No contraception is 100% effective even when used correctly. The question is what happens next. Many women just get on with it and as problematic as another mouth to feed is continue with the pregnancy. But for many if they've made the choice to use contraception because they don't want a child that view won't change if they are in the unlucky 2% whose method of contraception fails. Do you want to force a woman to become a mother as some sort of punishment? How unkind - and potentially dangerous - to bring a very unwanted child into the world. I suspect the same people who complain about single mothers relying on benefits to raise their kids at the tax payers expense will also be those who want to forbid a woman's right to choose.

If a couple/woman can't deal with the consequences of a pregnancy, then they should take the necessary contraceptive or biological steps to not become pregnant. I don't think abortion should be there as a readily-available safety net.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    If a couple/woman can't deal with the consequences of a pregnancy, then they should take the necessary contraceptive or biological steps to not become pregnant. I don't think abortion should be there as a readily-available safety net.
    As I said in my post, no contraceptive is 100% effective so people can act responsibly, use a "reliable" method correctly and still get pregnant. By biological steps do you mean vasectomy/sterilisation? Isn't that extreme for a teenager say who may want children when they are better prepared in their 30s? And I'm not sure but can people get sterilised in either end of Ireland or is that frowned upon too?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not surprised. The Catholic religion is just like a big pick n mix really. You just take what you like and the other stuff you just forget about.

Years ago things like sex before marriage, divorce, contraception, IVF, underage sex were all taboo.

As long as they go to Mass every Sunday then everything's OK. My cousins daughter had her first baby at 14 and now has 6 children and she's only about 25. She's not married, lives with a waste of space who has never worked and they all live on benefits.
    I have another cousin who has had IVF in order to have babies. Several have divorced and remarried and nobody says a word.

Maybe some of them have had abortions .... I don't know but they'd make it right in their heads.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in my post, no contraceptive is 100% effective so people can act responsibly, use a "reliable" method correctly and still get pregnant. By biological steps do you mean vasectomy/sterilisation? Isn't that extreme for a teenager say who may want children when they are better prepared in their 30s? And I'm not sure but can people get sterilised in either end of Ireland or is that frowned upon too?

You can get a vasectomy.

The only thing you can't get is an abortion basically, it was never in the constitution till a right-wing government decided to have a referendum to put it in. Its often mistakenly assumed it was put in there from the 1930s.

If there was a referendum on the issue I'm sure the restrictions on rape, foetal abnormalities and such would be removed but I highly doubt 'abortion-on-demand' would be popular, in opinion polls I'm not sure its ever gotten near 50% support, usually hovers between 35-40. Younger people being more in favour but they don't vote so that form of abortion is unlikely for at least a decade or two.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As apposed to the UK which has laws which are too lax. Abortion should be allowed, but only in very early stages of a pregnancy.

I don't blame the Irish or a portion of the Irish people for not wanting to allow it, not knowing how far it will go.

I myself do not think its right but we do live in a liberal society these days.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Obviously no contraceptive is 100% but the statistics for each form of contraception are readily available (around 98-99% successful for couples using either the contraceptive pill or condoms over the course of a year I believe.) So, it should be the person/couple's responsibility to take whatever contraceptive steps are necessary if they don't want to get pregnant whether that be using condoms and the pill together, to using three condoms at once (which I've heard of people doing) right up to what I meant by biological methods. (I simply meant not letting the sperm get anywhere near the egg, without wanting to get too graphic or vulgar.)

Not having a baby by not letting the sperm fertilise the egg is fine, however I agree with the 'Pro Life' campaigners when they say that not having a baby by terminating a pregnancy is not ok. You shouldn't be able to extinguish a life like that because you didn't take the necessary steps to prevent the pregnancy. That's why I used the word selfish.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a case last month in the Republic of Ireland. Brain dead woman on life support pregnant, husband/partner and parents wanted the machine turned off. Hospital and doctors too frightened to do it. Went to court for the judge to decide, so parents/husband/partner had a solicitor and the fetus also had a solicitor under Irish law.

By the time the judge decided after medical evident the woman was brain dead, the fetus was deteriorating she was 17 weeks pregnant.

In Belfast the blond woman whose baby had no brain and meeting the first minister and second minister. Was abused outside the Belfast clinic by the Pro Lifers. Her mother came on live tv Stephen Norris show and the same morons Pro Lifers insisting the baby should be born, it might live a few hours and that really counted. The fetus had no top to the skull and no brain!!!>:( The bitch who leads the group has been brought to court about abusing women going into a clinic for advice. But is now appealing, the judgement she had to stand 200 yards from the door.