Your opinion on Ms Nicole Kidman?

jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
Forum Member
✭✭
I am watching her in the movie Australia and watched The Paperboy a while back and think she is a really good actress and perhaps somewhat underrated. What d you think DSers.:)

Comments

• NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Nicole, she appears to be a nice person, does not push her family into the celeb circuit. I think Tom cruise was dumb to treat her so coldly. Her acting is great.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think the best thing you can say about her and actors like Anne Hathaway is that they can't be typecast.
    They do drama, horror, comedy, historic, biopics, arty etc. and thown in a few sexy scenes here and there and you usually get a good performance out of them.

I always though Naomi Watts was going to be the new Kidman. Kidman is still going strong though.

I did wonder what the flip she had done to herself in The Paperboy. :eek:
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Nicole, she appears to be a nice person, does not push her family into the celeb circuit. I think Tom cruise was dumb to treat her so coldly. Her acting is great.

Yes agree actually they have a lot of photographs of her in the Mail today in Cannes for the film festival she looks absolutely gorgeous, best I've seen her in a while, she was looking a bit pale and plasticy and thin. Not anymore. Good for her.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I'm going against the grain and saying I don't think much of her. It's either her acting or just an unfortunate streak of films that blemish her talent, but either way, I've not liked a single film she's been in, and that's either down to having no impact on a film or having too much impact on the film.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her in The Others and Cold Mountain - she's particularly good in the latter I think, but she's done some real duds as well - Bewitched springs to mind as being particularly awful.

I've heard she's good in The Paperboy, must watch that sometime. And I agree she looks great in the pictures from Cannes opening night, big improvement on the horror she wore to the Oscars this year! :eek:
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her both as an actress and a person. She seems very down to earth. I remember while watching the Olympics, seeing her in the crowd. She just seemed like a normal person.

I loved her in 'Far and Away'
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was good in To Die For.

But winning a Best Actress Oscar, for The Hours?!
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think the best thing you can say about her and actors like Anne Hathaway is that they can't be typecast.
    I like her, but her performances often come across as cold, even lacking affect.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely a fan,

Malice was a good early role - and she carried off the switch from naive victim to scheming bitch with aplomb.
    Dead Calm, Portrait of a Lady and To Die For are other interesting roles from that period.

Her career post Tom Cruise however is where she has given her best work.
    Moulin Rouge, The Others, Dogville, Birth, Fur, Margot At The Wedding and Rabbit Hole are all fantastic.
    Australia was interesting but the film veers so wildly in tone that its hard to judge her performance.

The Hours Oscar is baffling.
    Cold Mountain suffers because she playing against Renne, who overacts so wildly it could be panto.

Glossy, big budget films don't suit her - Bewitched, Stepford Wives, Golden Compass, The Invasion etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't criticise her for winning an Oscar. It's not her choice, and she's hardly likely to refuse it.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    You can't criticise her for winning an Oscar. It's not her choice, and she's hardly likely to refuse it.

It's not a criticism of her, I just think that it was a strange decision by the Academy.
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that she's a very good actress that can play a wide variety of roles, which make you care about the character. I think she's underrated too, but why she had to have plastic surgery when she's naturally pretty is a mystery to me!
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    her face is so Bottox'd she can't act anymore , rather a hindrance for an actor .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's alright. Wouldn't make a point of seeing a film with her in. Wouldn't make a point of not seeing one either. She was prettier before the pointy nose job.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I'm definitely a fan,

Malice was a good early role - and she carried off the switch from naive victim to scheming bitch with aplomb.
    Dead Calm, Portrait of a Lady and To Die For are other interesting roles from that period.

Her career post Tom Cruise however is where she has given her best work.
    Moulin Rouge, The Others, Dogville, Birth, Fur, Margot At The Wedding and Rabbit Hole are all fantastic.
    Australia was interesting but the film veers so wildly in tone that its hard to judge her performance.

The Hours Oscar is baffling.
    Cold Mountain suffers because she playing against Renne, who overacts so wildly it could be panto.

Glossy, big budget films don't suit her - Bewitched, Stepford Wives, Golden Compass, The Invasion etc.
    Pretty much agree with these sentiments.

Though I'm not sure she's ever reached true greatness, the best of her work is exceptionally good and show an actress capable of leaving the competition behind.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Nicole Kidman is one of the few rare brilliant actresses around today, alongside Meryl Streep

She is incredible. She can do it all. But boy, can she deliver a great dramatic performance.

Moulin Rouge, The Others, The Paperboy, To die for, Rabbit hole, The Hours and many more show how much range she has.

She lights up the screen with her beauty and also becomes really involved in the character's she plays. I think she is incredibly underrated. I felt after The Hours, she really lost her magic. Her film roles were poor (The Invasion, The Golden compass, Australia) spring to mind and showed her as just an average actress. But she had a baby, took some time out and made an extrordinary comeback in the heartbreaking "Rabbit Hole". She has continued her excellence in the likes of Paperboy and acclaimed emmy/golden globe role in as Martha Gellhorn in the biopic about her marriage to Hemingway.

I can't wait to see her playing the legendary Grace Kelly later this year in "Grace Of Monaco. She is already a hot contender for 2014's oscar.

I think she will be one of the actress that in many decades to come, she will much more be appreciated and thought upon as one of the greatest actresses of her time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said^

I love Nicole shes my favorite living actress. How she hasn't had more
    Oscar nominations I'll never know. I'm rooting for to win for Grace :)

Very classy, elegant, beautiful, talented woman!
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said^

I love Nicole shes my favorite living actress. How she hasn't had more
    Oscar nominations I'll never know. I'm rooting for to win for Grace :)

Very classy, elegant, beautiful, talented woman!

Yes I agree , as the OP I ashamedly missed this post.:o:)
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Nicole Kidman is a fearless actress who has appeared in a variety of film genres in contrasting roles. She has played all types of characters ; her range is very diverse. Even her so so films cannot be blamed on her performance in them , she delivers but the script, co-stars etc. fail to match her eg. Bewitched. She did have a period after winning her Oscar when she did have a bit of a lull in the quality of her films but this happens to a lot of Actresses after the Academy award them. They capitalise on their win and choices can be based on money rather than art. Halle Berry did the same after her win. Nicole is back on form and long may it continue.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrific actress, even if not enamoured of all her roles. Unlike many others, I love her Woolf in The Hours (although the prosthetic nose is really distracting) and not a big fan of Moulin Rouge generally. But whatever she's had done to her face in last few years has robbed it of expression and character. She was practically immobile in Australia (yes, I did suffer through it :()
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never been that keen on her to be honest, but, how she didn't win an Oscar for 'To Die For' is a complete mystery to me. She gave the performance of her career in that film IMO.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    One of my all-time favourite actresses
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's great. Her performance in The Paperboy is stunning and it's such a shame that film or her for that matter didn't receive more recognition
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her in Dead Calm, and The Others.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    I actually think she's getting better. Rabbit Hole, Paperboy, Stoker were all great. Her best role is a choice between The Others & To Die For.