Options

Greys Anatomy Season 9 (US Pace)

Comments

• Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine Heigel has expressed interest in a return of some sort, but Shonda Rhimes has made it quite clear that it won't be happening.

I think Addison is more likely as a character return as Kate Walsh has said she would be interested and Shonda still likes her!

I was very sad to see Lexie and Mark written out, but at least they got their moment of realising that they were supposed to be together. If the actors want to go, they want to go, I guess.

It will be interesting to actually see what went on at the crash site next week.
  • Options
    tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from the aired episode, they said they were out there for a week without being found, surprised so many of them survived tbh
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Well we're getting that next episode, don't be so impatient! I actually think it created a lot of suspense not knowing what happened - Arizona's fate wasn't revealed until the final scene, which was especially interesting given she was in a bad state at the end of the finale.

Doesn't have the same impact though as we already know the outcomes
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peapod152 wrote: »
    I was really annoyed about Arizona's leg - it just seemed too obvious, though I guess less obvious than paralysis which would eventually *heal* as in a lot of shows. I'll be glad if it gets her and Callie some proper screen time now though. I also found the reaction they'd written for her unbelievaable. Obviously it's an awful situation but if two people close to you have just died in an accident with you and all you've lost is your leg, I think you'd be hugely thankful.

I guess we'd need to hear the full story about Arizona's leg first. (Which I assume will come next week) I inititally agreed that it was a total bitch reaction from her, but now I think there might be more to the story. I had assumed that removing the leg was a last resort, and that it was taken only to save Arizona's life. Better having one leg and live, than having two but die.

Saying that though, we've seen over the years that Callie can sometimes panic when facing extreme pressure. It wouldn't be a total surprise to me if it turned out that she made the decision in haste, removing Arizona's leg before it became 100% essential for her to do so. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that Callie took the leg because it wasn't getting better, instead of because it needed to be taken, especially when at the time, she was faced with the idea of Sofia potentially losing her father and one of her mothers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine Heigel has expressed interest in a return of some sort, but Shonda Rhimes has made it quite clear that it won't be happening.

I think Addison is more likely as a character return as Kate Walsh has said she would be interested and Shonda still likes her!

I was very sad to see Lexie and Mark written out, but at least they got their moment of realising that they were supposed to be together. If the actors want to go, they want to go, I guess.

It will be interesting to actually see what went on at the crash site next week.

Big spoiler for Private Practice fans
    Kate Walsh is leaving PP midseason too, so she would be available for a return to Greys, if both parties wanted to do it
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Doesn't have the same impact though as we already know the outcomes

I think it'll make it even more poignant, personally.
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that Callie took the leg because it wasn't getting better, instead of because it needed to be taken, especially when at the time, she was faced with the idea of Sofia potentially losing her father and one of her mothers.

I highly doubt Callie would do that to Arizona - amputation is pretty much always a last resort anyway, so there must have been a good reason for Callie to rescind on her promise, or at least what looked like a good medical reason. If there had been any reason to question the decision, then there are enough doctors in Seattle who would have told Callie not to be so hasty!

I think it had to be done to save Arizona's life - if they were in the wild for a week her leg had probably gone septic. And deep down Arizona knows that (especially given she asked Callie to stop them taking her leg in the first place), and knows Callie couldn't have done anything else, but it's understandably taking a while for her to come out of the depression about her situation and the whole accident and accept that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    People can grieve when they lose a limb, so Arizona is grieving the loss of her leg the same way that you would grieve the loss of a relative etc. It'll be very hard for her to "snap" out of it but I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out!!

I doubt Kate Walsh would return to Grey's full time but she could def slot into a storyline somewhere in the next 2 seasons I hope.
    I'd hate to see Izzy back, it's a completely different show to what it used to be in the first few years. The characters have changed, been to hell and back and there's no way Izzy would slot into it at all!!!

I think Sara and Patrick were amazing in this episode <3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a fairly strong season opener but a few things felt a tad déja vu. Derek hand's ceasing up in theatre for example - re-run of Preston Burke's struggle after getting shot in the arm a few years ago (although his storyline was more about covering it up). Also the whole Cristina plane thing. Fair enough she is scared of flying after what happened but again it was the whole afraid to operate again after being held hostage all over again. Also why is Bailey and the interns referring to Meredith as an attending (or however that's spelt!). I thought they had to complete the fellowship first before they become attendings??? Hence why they had to declare their specialities last season.
  • Options
    gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dory353 wrote: »
    I thought it was a fairly strong season opener but a few things felt a tad déja vu. Derek hand's ceasing up in theatre for example - re-run of Preston Burke's struggle after getting shot in the arm a few years ago (although his storyline was more about covering it up). Also the whole Cristina plane thing. Fair enough she is scared of flying after what happened but again it was the whole afraid to operate again after being held hostage all over again. Also why is Bailey and the interns referring to Meredith as an attending (or however that's spelt!). I thought they had to complete the fellowship first before they become attendings??? Hence why they had to declare their specialities last season.

I've never really understood the whole system of residents, fellowships and attendings, I'm sure both Callie and Bailey went straight from being residents to attendings, maybe it depends on the speciality.
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's confusing! Cristina's boss did refer to her as a fellow though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe you only have to complete a fellowship when doing certain fields of surgery, others just skip to becoming attendings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I believe you only have to complete a fellowship when doing certain fields of surgery, others just skip to becoming attendings.

I'm guessing general surgery you go straight to attending, it seems both Bailey and Meredith have. Alex, Christina and Jackson all appear to be doing fellowships.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen episode 2 yet? I thought it was generally an ok episode, but it didn't really give up that much information that wasn't heavily alluded to in the first one anyway...

Though Cristina's trauma was good to watch, I'm glad that they confined the whole silent thing to one episode instead of dragging it out. It's weird because though I would have liked to have seen more of what happened in the woods, I also felt ready for the story to progress by the middle of the episode. (Plus seeing Yang try to fend off the wolves that were trying to feast on Little Grey would just have been beyond to far - the very idea of it just was horrendous to me! :( )

Seeing Mark (somewhat) back to normal made me realise how much I'll miss him, though it was nice to know that he was kind of aware of his fate before he went and was able to sort out a few things. Felt sorry for Julia though - she rushes across the country to profess her love for her ailing bf, he responds by declaring his love or his dead ex..

Arizona's leg went pretty much as the previews went. I had thought that it'd have been more greys if it had been more Callie's fault, but from what I saw, she was fullness in her actions. Arizona's resentment to Karev was fairly realistic too. I thought they were oing o a big tv "I don't blame you" thing. I guess it gives further explanation to his decision to stay too - I think this could be one of the more interesting dynamics that could come in the next few weeks.

Oh and one last note - I'm not sure how or why it happened, but I was really pleased to see April. :eek:
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, this episode really made me realise how much I miss the original gang, and then when George was mentioned I was about ready to cry!
    Was a bit underwhelmed tbh, we didnt even get a Lexie funeral! And then when Cristina talked about defending her corpse against bears and stuff I was horrified!
    I was glad to see April tbh, I've always liked her even though no-one else seems to.
    And who are all these new doctors appearing out of no where!?
    Why was Tara from True Bloods' mum a neuro surgeon?!
    Loving Callie scenes though, her and Arizona had good scenes this episode.
    Loved Arizona blaming Alex, great scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall I found the episode underwhelming, I was hoping for more scenes in the forest from where Season 8 left off and the reactions of those left at the hospital when they found out what had happened. I thought there would have been a bit more of a send off for Lexie this episode since last week had a focus on saying goodbye to Mark, even just a clip of her funeral.

I thought Christina's story was done very well and am glad it wasn't dragged out over a large portion of the season.

I really enjoyed the scenes between Mark an Richard, and thought Arizona's story was great. I liked that she was annoyed at Alex and think this will be good season for Callie and Arizona.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gcmac wrote: »
    Overall I found the episode underwhelming, I was hoping for more scenes in the forest from where Season 8 left off and the reactions of those left at the hospital when they found out what had happened. I thought there would have been a bit more of a send off for Lexie this episode since last week had a focus on saying goodbye to Mark, even just a clip of her funeral.

I thought Christina's story was done very well and am glad it wasn't dragged out over a large portion of the season.

I really enjoyed the scenes between Mark an Richard, and thought Arizona's story was great. I liked that she was annoyed at Alex and think this will be good season for Callie and Arizona.

They do seem to be glossing over Lexie a bit, which is a little frustrating. Apart from getting two mentions from Sloan, and the revelation that she might have become wolf-bait, she seems to be largely forgotten already. I do think we're due an inevitable Meredith break-down about her in the near future though.
    I heard a rumour that there will be a Meredith/Cristina two-hander episode in a few weeks - seems like a safe bet that it'll all come flooding out during that episode if it happens!

Also, writing this got me thinking. Surely with this death, Meredith would have had some kind of encounter with Thatcher recently. I'm surprised that they didn't even bring this up, because his presence is usually enough to cause Meredith to become a bit of a mess, but.. nothing.. It's just quite peculiar.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highlight of the episode was the Lost reference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 2 episodes in and a week break already! Grrrrr! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall I've been happy with both episodes thus far. Marks send off has been both touching and heartbreaking. Arizona's attitude towards Karev has been refreshingly honest, even to the viewers Karev is largely viewed as selfish and hasn't really developed over the years. I hope this is the series they do make Karev mature its definately long over due. He dips in and out of a fairly "decent" "dependable" character (seen with izzys illness etc) to the old moody, short tempered character they started with. Very irritating now after 9 series!!

And as far as Lexie goes, given she was such a massive character its frustrating she's only been mentioned in passing. The image of wild animals fighting over her corpse was mortifying, that mental image will stay with me until they revisit reactions etc to her death. I hope they deliberately missed that out to revisit it later in detail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sinead6uk wrote: »
    Only 2 episodes in and a week break already! Grrrrr! :(

I was so annoyed when I couldn't find it last week

I have lost my normal download place, so if anyone has a suggestion of where I.can now get my fix (pref with links from rd)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was so annoyed when I couldn't find it last week

I have lost my normal download place, so if anyone has a suggestion of where I.can now get my fix (pref with links from rd)

I use Graboid
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sinead6uk wrote: »
    I use Graboid

thanks - i notice you havent said if its good though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched episode 3 and still really enjoying this series (although I see it's taking another week break after next weeks episode - wish they didn't have these breaks).

I think Sara Ramirez and Jessica Capshaw are stealing the show at the moment and I'm really looking forward to the Callie/ Arizona stories this year.

I enjoyed seeing the softer side of Christina, although finding it strange her beng away from Seattle, but I guess it wouldn't be realistic for all the residents to stay on as attendings.

How can April be an attending if she hasn't passed her boards? I thought she'd have to repeat her final year of residency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't understand April's return as attending either. Could it be that the board exams are more optional, ie, you don't actually need them by law, but realistically won't get a job unless you do?
    Seems strange really, especially as Aprils speciality hasn't really been specified as far as I can remember.. (Wasnt she interested in neuro atone point, or was that Lexie?)

Totally agree that Callie and Arizona are stealing the show at the moment, to the point that I'd be quite happy for most of the show to be about them. I thought it was great to see Callie finally snap and break down, after even commenting at the start of the episode that she seemed to chirpy for someone who'd lost her best friend and her wife's warm personality. The fallout from the amputation is by far the best thing to come from the plane crash. Also, did anyone catch the line about Callie not being able to look at Sophia? I wonder what's up with that...

The rest of the episode was pretty standard, without ever venturing into spectacular. Kind of agreed with Derek's decision to reject the settlement - they are all already pretty rich in one wayor another, so it's not like they have that much to lose from not taking the instant payout. I guess it'd have been good for Callie to take the money, but presumably Sophia will inherit half of Marks millions anyway...
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gcmac wrote: »
    Just watched episode 3 and still really enjoying this series (although I see it's taking another week break after next weeks episode - wish they didn't have these breaks).

I think Sara Ramirez and Jessica Capshaw are stealing the show at the moment and I'm really looking forward to the Callie/ Arizona stories this year.

I enjoyed seeing the softer side of Christina, although finding it strange her beng away from Seattle, but I guess it wouldn't be realistic for all the residents to stay on as attendings.

How can April be an attending if she hasn't passed her boards? I thought she'd have to repeat her final year of residency.

Agree with the bit in bold. Sara's always been my favourite GA cast member, but she's outdoing herself this season so far. I think Sandra Oh has been fantastic as well, between the two of them they should surely collect a few awards nominations...

I thought episode 3 was a great episode, although I am slightly confused as to how Derek got to see the plane when it's still technically evidence - he could have messed up any litigation! I think they were right not to settle though, even though it would probably have been the best thing for Sofia and Zola. They're bound to get something out of litigation anyway though I guess, and presumably we'll see the court proceedings over the course of this season...

I don't think April is an attending in terms of her actual position in the hospital, I think she's just being allowed to use the attendings lounge because she's practically one, she just needs to pass her boards, which I'm guessing she will do next year. She's essentially got the same experience as Jackson/Meredith/Alex but without the piece of paper. So she's being allowed to do more than the other 5th years, who do after all get to lead surgeries anyway. It just makes her feel less caught in the middle.

I didn't catch the line about Callie not being able to look at Sofia, but is the point not that Callie's basically being pushed to breaking point by having to do everything - be breadwinner, caregiver to Arizona, mother to Sofia, making up for the fact that her father is gone and her other mother isn't willing to do anything? So Callie's not got much time for anything, let alone actually dealing with her own hurt or really helping Sofia. Arizona doesn't seem to be bothered to look after her either, that's the more jarring thing for me!