Does anyone else remember these biscuits? What were they called?

Comments

• Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If and when I eat a biscuit I eat them in peculiar ways. I bite the tops of them or nibble around the chocolate.

I eat the tops of twixes and leave the biscuit till last :o

I feel like I'm doing a biscuit autopsy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    ah, I think I remember them too. Did they look a bit like fig rolls?
    Just looked at a fig roll pic,and yes looks very alike!!!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Oh, Lemon Puffs were my childhood favourites. But you couldn't put them in the barrel with the other biscuits, as they made everything taste of lemon!

A barrel ?........:eek:

My Ladyship !..........you should have sacked the 'Biscuit Waiter' if everything tasted of lemon........:D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    If and when I eat a biscuit I eat them in peculiar ways. I bite the tops of them or nibble around the chocolate.

Phew, I thought I was the only weird one :)
    I do similar with jaffa cakes too, but I leave the orangey bit til last :p
    Also with kitkats I eat the chocolate from round the edge, then I pull the layers apart and eat them bit by bit :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    rob3597 wrote: »
    Just looked at a fig roll pic,and yes looks very alike!!!
    Mmm mmm, fig rolls! I don't see them anywhere anymore, but I'd snap a packet of them up as quick as anything if I spotted one!
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    A barrel ?........:eek:

My Ladyship !..........you should have sacked the 'Biscuit Waiter' if everything tasted of lemon........:D

That'd be my mum then! She hated Lemon Puffs, so I just had to eat them all :D

I'm sure our Sainsburys still has fig rolls, Daz. I'll have a look next week for you :)
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member

I do that too. I do the same with Jammie Dodger. Have to bte around the middle to leave the Jammie bit till last. And now I've seen Lemon Puffs mentioned, I'm going to have to hunt them down. Not had one of those in ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    La_Looot wrote: »
    Phew, I thought I was the only weird one :)
    I do similar with jaffa cakes too, but I leave the orangey bit til last :p
    Also with kitkats I eat the chocolate from round the edge, then I pull the layers apart and eat them bit by bit :D

Orangey bit for me last as well :D

Spooky ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do that too. I do the same with Jammie Dodger. Have to bte around the middle to leave the Jammie bit till last. And now I've seen Lemon Puffs mentioned, I'm going to have to hunt them down. Not had one of those in ages.

Are we all weird or just is it normal :D
    Forum Member
    Are we all weird or just is it normal :D

Nah, we're ok. It's everyone else that's slightly odd. I mean, why wouldn't you want to eat a tiwx or KitKat layer by layer. I even eat the skin off grapes before I eat the fruit. Ok.. maybe that is a little weird, but I don't care!
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Can you still buy them? I feel like going out and buying a packet now.

Childhood memories:D

Yup I have some Sports biscuits in my cupboard right now. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I love extracting the orangey bits from Jaffa Cakes too :)

And I remember gnawing round the edges of Jammie Dodgers to leave the jam. hehe.

And with things like Custard Creams and Bourbons (one of my favourites), I always like to split one biccie off, eat that, then scrape the filling off with my teeth... sounds pretty disgusting now that I type it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemon puffs are not as they used to be, I checked them up in a calorie guide from the eighties, and they were about twice as carlorific then than they are now, so they are cutting down on the sugar glaze - meanies.

Anyone remeber this one? It was a bit like a jam and creme sandwich biscuit, but with honey flavoured stuff instead of jam, and oval in shape. Absolutley gorgeous biscuits.

And Royal Scott, the very best plain biscuit ever made. I'm sure I went into withdrawal when the firm closed down.

I'm rather partial to Waitrose's ginger cookies at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Does anyone remember Dunkers? They were like oval-shaped Hobnobs, oat biscuits actually designed to dunk easily in your tea.

Can you still get them? I'm in Australia at the mo so can't check. TimTams all the way out here. :)
  • steviemsteviem Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lime Green wrote: »
    And Royal Scot, the very best plain biscuit ever made. I'm sure I went into QUOTE]

We used to make the best ever empire biscuits with those when we were younger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steviem wrote: »
    We used to make the best ever empire biscuits with those when we were younger.

So did we, and it was never quite the same trying to make them with shorties, or rich tea or digestive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You beat me :D
    Yeah, and me!! 'scuse me, I'll just pop out to the kitchen and get a ginger-nut, custard-cream and a digestive, to go with me coffee. Sorry, even I (as a festering old fart{?} ) cant remember the name of the bikkies described.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    If they are Fox biscuits they could be called the O"Riley factor , VERY SMOOTH BUT TASTE LIKE CRAP .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah, we're ok. It's everyone else that's slightly odd. I mean, why wouldn't you want to eat a tiwx or KitKat layer by layer. I even eat the skin off grapes before I eat the fruit. Ok.. maybe that is a little weird, but I don't care!

I peel the skin off grapes before I eat them as well :D

We had jammie dodgers in the staff room the other day and I was so dying to dissect it properly :o It didn't taste the same eating it whole
    Forum Member
    I peel the skin off grapes before I eat them as well :D

We had jammie dodgers in the staff room the other day and I was so dying to dissect it properly :o It didn't taste the same eating it whole

Ahh, you could have sneaked off to the stationary room to eat it. Be proud, be strong, eat your biccies as you would. I bet you'd be surprised at just how many turn round and say, " Ohh.. I do that too" lol

I'm being good this morning, have a cup of tea, but no biccies as of yet. Even though I can hear the Bourbons calling me, I'm resisting the temptation. Gimme five mins and it'll be another story. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, you could have sneaked off to the stationary room to eat it. Be proud, be strong, eat your biccies as you would. I bet you'd be surprised at just how many turn round and say, " Ohh.. I do that too" lol

I'm being good this morning, have a cup of tea, but no biccies as of yet. Even though I can hear the Bourbons calling me, I'm resisting the temptation. Gimme five mins and it'll be another story. :o

I will try to be strong next time, I didn't want to be lonely in the photocopy room with me jammie dodger.:D

I'm not a big biccie eater but the staff room was full of goodies this week and the strange thing was that they were calling to me just like your bourbons.;)
    Forum Member
    I will try to be strong next time, I didn't want to be lonely in the photocopy room with me jammie dodger.:D

I'm not a big biccie eater but the staff room was full of goodies this week and the strange thing was that they were calling to me just like your bourbons.;)

Ahhh the end of term feast, always some fabulous goodies to be munched on then. I remember when I used to help out (parent helper) at my sons junior school, the chocolates, cakes and biscuits that used to adorn the table in the staff room during the end of term week, would be on the verge of collapse under the weight of all the treats.

I hope you managed to bring some home with you.

Sorry for going OT there. I still can't remember that biccy that I mentioned in my first reply on this thread. Don't suppose you can remember a little square biscuit Mrs T? Used to be a kind of caramel flavour and a colour similar to ginger nuts, but it definitely wasn't ginger flavour. I used to love them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh the end of term feast, always some fabulous goodies to be munched on then. I remember when I used to help out (parent helper) at my sons junior school, the chocolates, cakes and biscuits that used to adorn the table in the staff room during the end of term week, would be on the verge of collapse under the weight of all the treats.

I hope you managed to bring some home with you.

Sorry for going OT there. I still can't remember that biccy that I mentioned in my first reply on this thread. Don't suppose you can remember a little square biscuit Mrs T? Used to be a kind of caramel flavour and a colour similar to ginger nuts, but it definitely wasn't ginger flavour. I used to love them.

The table is always laden, we were given an Indian banquet last week, I kid you not.

The only biscuit I can think of is those that you sometimes get at cafes or restaurants but I know that you can buy them. I'll keep thinking

:)
    Forum Member
    The table is always laden, we were given an Indian banquet last week, I kid you not.

The only biscuit I can think of is those that you sometimes get at cafes or restaurants but I know that you can buy them. I'll keep thinking

:)

What school is it? And do they need parent helpers? I bet that was a fabulous feast, I love indian food.

Thanks for putting the thinking cap on. They were really lovely. I think my mom used to get them from the Co-Op, (idea forms) maybe I ought to look at their store to see if they sell something similar, lol.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dazzorifik wrote: »
    I've just had a thought.....are we the only nation that dips biscuits in tea? Or any hot drink actually?
    I know the American biscuit liquid of choice is milk, but cold milk usually.

Just a thought

Ah, malted milk biscuits dipped in cold milk is gorgeous! Others don't work so well dipped in cold milk though.