Options

Does anyone else struggle with time off / to much free time on their hands?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had 14 years off and TBH there isn't enough time in the day to do every thing I want to and can do.

For instance there are loads of films and TV shows to watch, loads of games to play, books to read etc. There is always something to do on the internet. And that's all before I do anything outside (which I don't do much because of the agoraphobia).

Work just gets in the way of the things I want to do. Never did understand why or how normal people can spend 8 hrs a day doing the same thing, and consider it 'doing something'.

Because normal people have a work ethic and want to pay their way in life. I can't understand the attitude of those who think they should sit on their arse all day and let others pick up the tab for their lifestyle.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Personally, I'd literally rather watch paint dry than go to work. But I want money, so I have to go to work. If I won over £5m on the lottery, I'd make sure I'd never, ever work again.

How about £4.9m, would you carry on working?

Actually it's possible to retire (or at least, have a few good years off work) on far less.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically I don't do well with nothing to do, I get bored and fed up all to easily, the wife hates me stuck under her feet and compares me to Victor Meldrew.

How about you take over all her chores, and let her relax over Christmas?
  • Options
    carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I can't believe this thread, never have I felt I had too much time on my hands, there aren't enough hours in the day for me.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe this thread, never have I felt I had too much time on my hands, there aren't enough hours in the day for me.

Well you took the time out of your busy lifestyle to post here
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Because normal people have a work ethic and want to pay their way in life. I can't understand the attitude of those who think they should sit on their arse all day and let others pick up the tab for their lifestyle.
    Those people are in the minority though surely?
    Most people have a sense of pride in earning their own money and funding their lifestyle themselves. I wouldn't take nearly as much pleasure in travelling/nights out/buying new stuff/living somewhere delightful etc if someone else was footing the bill.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had 14 years off and TBH there isn't enough time in the day to do every thing I want to and can do.

For instance there are loads of films and TV shows to watch, loads of games to play, books to read etc. There is always something to do on the internet. And that's all before I do anything outside (which I don't do much because of the agoraphobia).

Work just gets in the way of the things I want to do. Never did understand why or how normal people can spend 8 hrs a day doing the same thing, and consider it 'doing something'.

It called having a job and getting paid for it. I could easily spend all day watching TV and messing around on the internet (that's pretty much all I have been doing all day today), but doing it full-time on benefits wouldn't pay enough to give me the lifestyle that I want. Not having money gets in the way of the things I want to do. I like having a nice house, to go on holiday and to be able to buy the latest gadgets. That means I have to go out for 8 hours a day and work for someone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    It called having a job and getting paid for it. I could easily spend all day watching TV and messing around on the internet (that's pretty much all I have been doing all day today), but doing it full-time on benefits wouldn't pay enough to give me the lifestyle that I want. Not having money gets in the way of the things I want to do. I like having a nice house, to go on holiday and to be able to buy the latest gadgets. That means I have to go out for 8 hours a day and work for someone else.

It's the patronising statement Never did understand why or how normal people can spend 8 hrs a day doing the same thing, and consider it 'doing something' as if the majority of people have the option of NOT working for a living, and could spend their days watching telly, reading books and playing games, without any financial repercussions, if they chose to do so:D:D:D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Yes and that is different from what the OP is talking about.

Having to work 8hrs is by definition, having to work for 8hrs, so it over rides the idea of not having the free time to get board in, in the first place. rolleyes.

We are obviously talking about having free time without having to work. Be it because the person is rich, won the lottery or just doesn't have to work for some reason.

It is then that I never understand people who get board without having to work.

So please no more straw men about having to work. rolleyes
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a problem, I love being bored, my time off work is a haven of idleness and sloth. Sleeping late, staying up late, reading, browsing, playing guitar, drives in the country.

I don't see the point of planning loads of time consuming chores to do during your liesure time, it's just like being back at work., go to Ikea, paint the fridge, defrost the cat , take Gran to the Vet, blergh blah, blah.

I'm never bored having nothing to do.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those people are in the minority though surely?
    Most people have a sense of pride in earning their own money and funding their lifestyle themselves. I wouldn't take nearly as much pleasure in travelling/nights out/buying new stuff/living somewhere delightful etc if someone else was footing the bill.

They are in the minority but the FM I quoted is very open about not wanting to work and thinking he should be paid to stay at home doing what he likes
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the patronising statement Never did understand why or how normal people can spend 8 hrs a day doing the same thing, and consider it 'doing something' as if the majority of people have the option of NOT working for a living, and could spend their days watching telly, reading books and playing games, without any financial repercussions, if they chose to do so:D:D:D

If they HAVE to work, then they have to work. Then the point about being bored when not working is moot as they have, by definition, no choice.

But we are talking about people who do have a choice. who would rather be working and have a routine set out for them, than have time to themselves and do what ever they want.

Such as people who win the lottery but still go back to work as a cleaner or shop assistant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they HAVE to work, then they have to work. Then the point about being bored when not working is moot as they have, by definition, no choice.

But we are talking about people who do have a choice. who would rather be working and have a routine set out for them, than have time to themselves and do what ever they want.

Such as people who win the lottery but still go back to work as a cleaner or shop assistant.
    Ah right, I see where you're coming from now.

I'm not a cleaner or a shop assistant, but my job isn't that great. It's not that shit either, I enjoy what I do. It makes me happy.

BUT if I won a significant amount on the lottery, I would walk away from it in a heartbeat, buy a luxury campervan and spend all my days travelling to new horizons...:)
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can sort of see where the OP is coming from, I'm a nightmare for trying to use leave in work because I don't like taking it for the sake of taking it.

But I do enjoy time off, I finished for Christmas today until the 5th of January and I'm definitely in need of it.

Thankfully I'm not having to spend it job hunting (as was a very real possibility a few short weeks ago).
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sympathise with you OP. I'm retired now and don't walk very well. I'm not handicapped at all, just have problems with walking. Therefore I'm a little limited as to mobility AND financial resources. I live in a small flat that doesn't take much cleaning.

I love the internet and I love reading, but that's about it. Many a time I'm to be found reading in bed at 4 in the morning.

I'm bored silly most of the time.
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I struggle with not having enough time off, to be honest. I work 12 hour days 5 days a week and by the time I get home, I'm too exhausted to do anything. Even at the weekend, I sometimes don't have the energy to do anything other than catch up with my sleep. Having a day off gives you the opportunity to do whatever it is you want - whether it's vegging out in front of the telly or curling up with a good book or going for long walks, hitting the shops or spending an afternoon in a tea/coffee shop or at the cinema. Even catching up with family or friends you've not seen for a long time (especially at Christmas).

There are so many things you can do, so to anyone lucky enough not to be working over Christmas, thank your lucky stars and enjoy the holiday.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I sympathise with you OP. I'm retired now and don't walk very well. I'm not handicapped at all, just have problems with walking. Therefore I'm a little limited as to mobility AND financial resources. I live in a small flat that doesn't take much cleaning.

I love the internet and I love reading, but that's about it. Many a time I'm to be found reading in bed at 4 in the morning.

I'm bored silly most of the time.

Please don't just fritter the rest of your life away being bored silly - life is so precious and so short. Keeping mentally and physically active keeps YOU active, and happy and stimulated. I agree with those who suggest voluntary work, which can be anything: my son does work with autistic children while studying for a physics degree, and my daughter helped in an office for a homeless charity. There are so many things. If you belonged to a church you would never, ever be bored as there are so many roles within it.

As for the OP: I think if we truly realised how short our lives are we would want to make the most of our days, and I don't mean just through frenetic activity. Clearing out cupboards or fridges would do my head in! So think about what you would enjoy. You MUST find a hobby or interest. With regards to your wife - having a husband who droops around all day bored and complaining sounds awful!

What do you enjoy? What did you like when younger, and what are the best bits about your job? What you enjoy in your job could indicate what you would enjoy doing in a different way, as a hobby..

My husband retired 2 years ago and is never, ever bored and has a wide circle of friends and hobbies, as well as a demanding family :D He has joined a men's social group which is great and we both love theatre and are fortunate enough to live close to London so there is a lot to do there.

Every one is different and you have been honest enough to recognise this as a problem and to post for advice.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm home by 4.30 every day, I never bring work home and I get 41.5 days leave a year. I couldn't stand a job where work was important, I love time off.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Believe you me. If I won the lotto I could find 101 things to do. My job pays min wage, sitting in the house is pretty much the only thing to do this time of year, well either that or work

Why don't you take up walking or jogging? Both free.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Why don't you take up walking or jogging? Both free.

Only if you're not going in for it seriously. One of my usual thoughts about work is that it pays for races.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Not a problem, I love being bored, my time off work is a haven of idleness and sloth. Sleeping late, staying up late, reading, browsing, playing guitar, drives in the country.

I don't see the point of planning loads of time consuming chores to do during your liesure time, it's just like being back at work., go to Ikea, paint the fridge, defrost the cat , take Gran to the Vet, blergh blah, blah.

I'm never bored having nothing to do.

Me too. It's so very important to have time just to 'be'. Which is why I'm a leading world expert in doing nothing, or as little as possible. I love slobbing out on the sofa, and I'm not afraid to say it!

Do I struggle with time off? Only that there's too damn little of it! I'd love to work 3 days a week max and then spend 2 days doing pastimes and 2 days doing chores/resting. Oh and have at least 10 weeks off a year too. :D