Options

Theory Test Anxiety

NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
Forum Member
I have my theory test on Saturday, but I am really struggling to revise for it. I've tried every single option now, even asking my friends at work to chuck me questions every now and again. I have tried almost every app that seems possible and yet I still keep failing my test.

Is there any other way I can try and get through this without chucking my laptop/phone/iPad out of the window?

Comments

• Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I done mine a couple of weeks ago - no previous driving lessons, just pure study and passed.

http://toptests.co.uk/ is a useful site to use. A lot of these are the harder questions though.
    I got the DVSA disc, it was only a fiver and it had 75 practice sessions of 20 questions and 29 full mock tests, theory + hazard perception. I done over 3,600 questions on the disc alone before the test. It also had 9 lots of 3 clips for HP practise and 9 lots of 14 test clips. I did the entire disc twice. The disc never had any night time HP clips though. I got one in the actual test. Apart from two questions, I had seen every question before (one about ESC brakes and one about pets having to be behind a grille if in a car) I also used the BSM theory test app and the official app, although I didn't upgrade to the full version.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=534 - learning to drive forum on The Student Room also has lots of useful hints and tips.

Up until the day before my test, I was failing near enough every HP test (mostly clicking too soon). Then I read a useful tip online. When you see a hazard, click. In your head say 'it's still there' and if it is, click again. Do the same again as this shows it's a developing hazard (what you're looking for) and you have 3 chances at getting in the point mark window. Scoring 3 or 1 is better than 0.

Keep at it. Practice a lot. When out look at road signs and road markings, say outloud what each one is. Look out for potential hazards too. This will help with HP.

I was very nervous. In the room all you can hear is click, click, click. No hoodies allowed, they have to go in a locker, along with your phone that's been switched off, watch, change/money. You're not even allowed any tissues in your pocket.

Practice a lot and you'll be fine. Even if you fail, just book another test.

Good luck :)

Any questions, just ask.
  • Options
    TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I done mine a couple of weeks ago - no previous driving lessons, just pure study and passed.

http://toptests.co.uk/ is a useful site to use. A lot of these are the harder questions though.
    I got the DVSA disc, it was only a fiver and it had 75 practice sessions of 20 questions and 29 full mock tests, theory + hazard perception. I done over 3,600 questions on the disc alone before the test. It also had 9 lots of 3 clips for HP practise and 9 lots of 14 test clips. I did the entire disc twice. The disc never had any night time HP clips though. I got one in the actual test. Apart from two questions, I had seen every question before (one about ESC brakes and one about pets having to be behind a grille if in a car) I also used the BSM theory test app and the official app, although I didn't upgrade to the full version.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=534 - learning to drive forum on The Student Room also has lots of useful hints and tips.

Up until the day before my test, I was failing near enough every HP test (mostly clicking too soon). Then I read a useful tip online. When you see a hazard, click. In your head say 'it's still there' and if it is, click again. Do the same again as this shows it's a developing hazard (what you're looking for) and you have 3 chances at getting in the point mark window. Scoring 3 or 1 is better than 0.

Keep at it. Practice a lot. When out look at road signs and road markings, say outloud what each one is. Look out for potential hazards too. This will help with HP.

I was very nervous. In the room all you can hear is click, click, click. No hoodies allowed, they have to go in a locker, along with your phone that's been switched off, watch, change/money. You're not even allowed any tissues in your pocket.

Practice a lot and you'll be fine. Even if you fail, just book another test.

Good luck :)

Any questions, just ask.

Dare Devil this is really helpful. Thank you.

I have the DVSA disk and as well as having lots of clips where you click when you see a hazard, there are also quite a few clips that pause after a while and ask you a multiple choice question about something that's happened in the clip (what's coming up ahead according to a road sign you just drove past, what lane should you be in etc). Are there clips like this in the test or are they all just the 'click when you see a hazard' clips?

I'm finding the hazard perception aspect difficult... It's more like playing a video game than driving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dare Devil this is really helpful. Thank you.

I have the DVSA disk and as well as having lots of clips where you click when you see a hazard, there are also quite a few clips that pause after a while and ask you a multiple choice question about something that's happened in the clip (what's coming up ahead according to a road sign you just drove past, what lane should you be in etc). Are there clips like this in the test or are they all just the 'click when you see a hazard' clips?

I'm finding the hazard perception aspect difficult... It's more like playing a video game than driving.

I've never done a clip in practice or in the actual test where a question came up in the middle of a HP clip.

No those questions/clips don't come up. The test is 50 multiple choice questions (you can review all the questions too, the actual test was the only time I did this), then you can have upto a 3 min break, then 14 clips of hazard perception. One of the clips had 2 developing hazards.

Remember, it's developing hazards you're looking for, not any hazard or potential hazard. Lanes/country roads are easy. Any pedestrian, cyclist, tractor, animal click. Other clips look for reversing cars out of driveways and parking spaces, car doors opening, buses at a bus stop. Look for indicators on long vehicles ahead too.

In the test I had a night time clip too. It was the first time I had done one. Luckily it was emergency vehicle, so it was obvious which one it is.

The HP test isn't about learning to spot hazards, it's about learning how to pass the test. Don't overly worry about clicking too much, but don't click in a pattern, that will get flagged up. In one of the clips I clicked 12 times, but that could've been the one with two hazards.

To get the most points though, remember if you see a hazard click, say in your head 'it's still there', if it is click again. Do the same again. Getting a 3 or 1, is better than 0 (due to spotting the hazard too soon). That is how I passed it.

Good luck in your test Katsby, any questions or anything feel free to ask, either here or PM :)
    Hope Nicola passed too
  • Options
    TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I've never done a clip in practice or in the actual test where a question came up in the middle of a HP clip.

No those questions/clips don't come up. The test is 50 multiple choice questions (you can review all the questions too, the actual test was the only time I did this), then you can have upto a 3 min break, then 14 clips of hazard perception. One of the clips had 2 developing hazards.

Remember, it's developing hazards you're looking for, not any hazard or potential hazard. Lanes/country roads are easy. Any pedestrian, cyclist, tractor, animal click. Other clips look for reversing cars out of driveways and parking spaces, car doors opening, buses at a bus stop. Look for indicators on long vehicles ahead too.

In the test I had a night time clip too. It was the first time I had done one. Luckily it was emergency vehicle, so it was obvious which one it is.

The HP test isn't about learning to spot hazards, it's about learning how to pass the test. Don't overly worry about clicking too much, but don't click in a pattern, that will get flagged up. In one of the clips I clicked 12 times, but that could've been the one with two hazards.

To get the most points though, remember if you see a hazard click, say in your head 'it's still there', if it is click again. Do the same again. Getting a 3 or 1, is better than 0 (due to spotting the hazard too soon). That is how I passed it.

Good luck in your test Katsby, any questions or anything feel free to ask, either here or PM :)
    Hope Nicola passed too

Thanks so much for your advice Dare Devil. That's a really helpful idea of how to approach the HP part of the exam. I've been pressing too early quite often and end up with no points. Also have been clicking on loads of things because I'm not sure if they're going to end up making me change speed, direction etc. but your idea of thinking its still there then clicking again is really good.

I've also been looking at toptests which is helping me too.

Test is next week so I'll let you know how I get on. (Fingers crossed it'll be good news!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for your advice Dare Devil. That's a really helpful idea of how to approach the HP part of the exam. I've been pressing too early quite often and end up with no points. Also have been clicking on loads of things because I'm not sure if they're going to end up making me change speed, direction etc. but your idea of thinking its still there then clicking again is really good.

I've also been looking at toptests which is helping me too.

Test is next week so I'll let you know how I get on. (Fingers crossed it'll be good news!)

It's no problem :) I didn't start passing the HP part until the day before my test, so you've got plenty of time to get the practice in.

I got the hint from the comments section of this site - http://theorytestpro.co.uk/blog/hazard-perception-test-click-way-pass/

There's also a free practice on Bill Plants website - http://www.billplant.co.uk/online_theory_test.php There's HP on there too.

If a hazard is likely to make you brake, change direction or lane, that's a developing hazard.

Yeah, let me know how you get on and if you don't pass, it's no big deal, just book another test. Again, feel free to ask on here or PM anytime :)
  • Options
    NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I did mine last Saturday and thankfully I passed, just, I hope everyone else does too :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Nicola :D it doesn't matter if it was a just. A pass is a pass!
  • Options
    gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did mine last Saturday and thankfully I passed, just, I hope everyone else does too :-)

Well done.
  • Options
    Roma_RybintsevRoma_Rybintsev Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I was advised to this thread by http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=82745063

I would like to add my 2 cents for others who might read this thread in the near future. I used sites above and also https://theorypass.co.uk/ to prepare for my test.

Surprisingly all questions (apart from the last few, which are case studies) came from the websites, which means I've seen them before. I got 49/50 and I think I messed one up about the type of brakes.

The Hazard Perception part of the test was super easy, I got 61/75