Options

Lonely at Christmas!

malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey! Happy Christmas to you all, for what its worth!

I've come for a whinge and if anyone has advice - that'd be ace...

I'm feeling lonely this Christmas. Me and my son, we have a lot of positives going in our life. But we're also quite alone; my parents moved abroad with my sister and her kids a number of years ago, relationships are difficult for whatever reason and the fact there's 1,500 miles between us, makes it difficult to keep in contact. I have cousins down south who have a great closeness between themselves, like what I'd say were 'normal' sibling/cousin friendships... My boy's paternal side of the family is large but due to father problems, he's not in contact with them, and this is a cause of sadness for him, although he feels some anger towards them about this

We have each other but that at times seems painfully little, especially when you contemplate your own mortality.

I feel desperately sad at times and helpless about our situation, how can I ever make it better for him...?! He's been really upset today. I can cope I suppose, as the grown up, but it seems so sh*t when I think about how few family he has around. I worry for his mental health now, and as an adult, and when I'm dead.

Yes we have friends, but at this time of year the isolation feels great. Friends to me are often transient and while their company is delightful, they have no ties to you

Sorry folks, bit of a self indulgent depressive moan :cry: I tell myself that others still feel alone even when they are surrounded by friends and family... I've also just separated from an unhealthy relationship with someone I still love, even though it was quite septic... He often told me how friendless and lonely I was!

Comments

• Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    malaikah wrote: »

Sorry folks, bit of a self indulgent depressive moan :cry: I tell myself that others still feel alone even when they are surrounded by friends and family... I've also just separated from an unhealthy relationship with someone I still love, even though it was quite septic... He often told me how friendless and lonely I was!

Happy Christmas to you as well! Sadly, it sounds as if you are still letting your ex get to you. It's true that Christmas is a time for family, however, as you pointed out you can have a ton of relatives and not have any emotional ties with them whatsoever. Cherish the relationship you have with your son. At the end of the day, it's not the quantity that counts, but the quality.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »

I've come for a whinge and if anyone has advice - that'd be ace...

I'm feeling lonely this Christmas. Me and my son, we have a lot of positives going in our life. But we're also quite alone; my parents moved abroad with my sister and her kids a number of years ago, relationships are difficult for whatever reason and the fact there's 1,500 miles between us, makes it difficult to keep in contact. I have cousins down south who have a great closeness between themselves, like what I'd say were 'normal' sibling/cousin friendships... My boy's paternal side of the family is large but due to father problems, he's not in contact with them, and this is a cause of sadness for him, although he feels some anger towards them about this

We have each other but that at times seems painfully little, especially when you contemplate your own mortality.

I feel desperately sad at times and helpless about our situation, how can I ever make it better for him...?! He's been really upset today. I can cope I suppose, as the grown up, but it seems so sh*t when I think about how few family he has around. I worry for his mental health now, and as an adult, and when I'm dead.

Yes we have friends, but at this time of year the isolation feels great. Friends to me are often transient and while their company is delightful, they have no ties to you

Merry Christmas to you I'm sorry you are both so sad and I can understand the reasons why. I just wanted to say could you possibly Skype your family abroad regularly if you aren't already doing so?
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas to you I'm sorry you are both so sad and I can understand the reasons why. I just wanted to say could you possibly Skype your family abroad regularly if you aren't already doing so?

Thanks for your replies :) Skype is not very good really for us, as there is little to say, mum keeps the laptop in the back bedroom so we never get to see or speak to dad, and all mum can talk about returns to the weather >.< :p

We feel better after a walk with the dog and a bit of a philosophical discussion that it's one of the great human conditions, the feeling of 'alone' and that its the root cause of addictions and religions! We arrive alone we depart alone but still these feelings can be tough!