Options

Hair straighteners - reccommendations please?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jocal21 wrote:
    ooh, is the oil really that good? I've considered using it, but didn't want to pay out for it to find it was useless.

My hair is that kind of annoying thick, wavey, kinky type. And after straightning easily returns to its natural state if it rains or even if the air is slightly moist.

I've spent a fortune on balms and straightening gels but I find the oil is excellent. I spray on a VERY small amount to dry hair then use my GHD's and it does stay straight for longer.
  • Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also swear by GHD's, they are expensive but worth it. I have really thick, frizzy, wavy hair and they are the only things that get it 100% straight. I can get it straight with a hairdryer and alot of patience, but it quickly goes wavy again so I have to use myy straighteners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the wet to straight ones. Love them :D
  • Options
    H4X0RH4X0R Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I've got two pairs of hair straighteners.

One pair are italian and I got from the ideal home show 6 years ago. I use them nearly everyday and they still work fine, although the last year they have not worked as well as they used to, they now take a while to heat up (20-30 mins). They cost me £50 and they don't dry my hair out at all. My hair is really long (half way down my back) and quite frizzy and has strange kinks and waves in places which looks weird because it's quite straight in other places, it dries differently every time. It takes me about 20-30 mins to straighten all my hair. I looked everywhere on the internet to find somewhere I could by some more, but couldn't find a mention of the brand at all.

I was worried about taking my straighteners on holiday with me (in case my suitcase got lost at the airport) and I wouldn't be able to get a replacement pair exactly the same, so I bought a pair of cheap (£29.99) ones from Boots. They work well but they dry my hair out and are more difficult to use. They also take 20-30 mins to heat up. I would use them more often if they didn't dry my hair out because they only take about 20 mins to use and my hair tends to stay straighter for longer.

I use heat protective spray which definitely helps, but I really want a good pair of straighteners that I can use every day without drying my hair out and without taking 20-30 mins to heat up. I like the large plated ones because they're quicker to use when you got so much hair! My current ones also have an attached comb which makes them much easier to use, especially at the back of my head, but they don't seem to be a common feature on many straightners available. I also don't want it to take me more than 30 mins to straighten all my hair.

I've seem loads of different ones that look good, but with so many to choose from and with a lot of them so expensive (i'm a student) I don't want to buy a pair I hardly ever use. I want to find a pair that can replace my 6 year old pair, so I don't have to worry about them breaking and not having a replacement.

Any help on what pair I should get would be great, thanks.
    Key points: easy and fast to use with good results, but without damaging my hair. Cost not important as long as they last and I love them!

CBA reading that but my girlfreind said that GHDs are they best something like that there expensive had to buy her a pair last year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    Al Bino wrote:
    Yep, another GHD'er here. My hair is also long (just been cut a little shorter though!) and quite thick and I've found that those ones work the best. I've gone to mates house before going out for the night and once I didn't bring my straighteners as she said she had ceramic plated ones. Anyways, to cut a long story short they weren't in the same league as the GHD's. Took longer to heat up and long to straighten.

What I do like about GHDs is that I bought my first pair almost 3 years ago from Peter Marks hair salon. They blew up a year later and they replaced them without hesitation. On my second pair and they're still fine.

Before you buy them be sure and find out about a returns policy and for goodness sake, keep your receipt!

I got mine replaced without hesitation too, i made the mistake of wrapping the cord around the straighteners which brakes them after doing it for a few months, but they still replaced them.

GHD Rule!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    As a hairdresser i would always recommend that you use a professional heat protector on your hair first to protect it. Schwarzkopt do a good one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    It's called Flatliner (just remembered)!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The GHD thermal protection spray is very good(very pricey as well) but smells lovely.
    Friends have asked what perfume I am wearing.
  • Options
    Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think of Lee Stafford poker straight flat iron protection shine mist with green tea extractheat protective agent?
  • Options
    Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should I get the wide plated GHD ones? Where the best place to buy them from? Not necessarily the cheapest but the newest/best model, guaranteed and definitely brand new and factory sealed.
  • Options
    SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have GHDs and i think they're amazing. Like many others on here, i have thick frizzy hair and dreamt of having straight hair for years.

I had used different straightners before, including steam ones which weren't too bad, but nothing compares to GHDs.

I use Andrew Collinge Perfect Endings spray before i straighten, and Frizz Ease stuff afterwards and my hair is in great condition. I also use the Andrew Collinge shampoo and conditioner and it really makes a difference on my hair :)
  • Options
    KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GHD's!!!Fab
    I have thick frizzy/curly hair and they work a treat. That is when I can nick them back off my daughter who has fabulous hair that naturally curls in beautiful soft ringlets (cow!) She has 2 other ceramic strighteners but only uses my GHD's! LOL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RE: GHD's burning your hair

If you ask any hair expert or hairdresser they will all tell you the same. Hair straighteners won't damange your hair if you briskly move them through your hair. People tend to burn sections of their hair because they keep their straighteners on the same part of their hair for 4 or 5 seconds - that's bad for your hair. As long as you keep the straighteners moving you'll be fine. You can keep going over the same piece of hair as long as they straighteners are always moving. I've used them for 3 years now and my hair isn't damaged in any way.

RE: GHD's blowing up

This did happen to me but they were easily exchanged. What happened was, I was in the middle of straightening my hair and some sparks came out of it and some smoke (perhaps a little clink/bang - can;t be sure about that part). I screamed and chucked them across the room! I threw them towards the door and started to panic about how I'd get out of the room, as I suddenly imagined them going on fire but they were fine. There are lots of ways you can prevent this from happening. Perhaps "prevent" is the wrong word but extend their lifetime. One is to keep the lead untangled and free from knots. It's important not to wrap the lead around the actual straighteners or wrap the lead around your hand to gather the lead and save space.

Hope this helps.

I have a question too. For all of you who use protective spray on your hair, what kind of spray do you use? I've never tried it but alot of people say it keeps your hair shiny for longer and keeps your hair smelling nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al Bino wrote:
    I have a question too. For all of you who use protective spray on your hair, what kind of spray do you use? I've never tried it but alot of people say it keeps your hair shiny for longer and keeps your hair smelling nice.

I use Tigi Fashionista smooth and shine for heat protection. I got it from the hairdressers the last time my hair was cut, it was a bit expensive (around £9) but it lasts for ages as you only need a 5p size blob. To go alongside this I use Tigi bedhead headrush, its a shine spray and makes your hair smell gorgeous and makes it very shiny.

As for straighteners, I use Tesco value ceramic ones! They cost £10 and they are brilliant. My babyliss ones that I bought which were £70 were poop and I didn't have enough money for my dream ones (GHD) :) so after reading about these getting 5/5 in some magazine or other I decided these would do till I could save up!......................6 months on, I am still using them and will till they die!! Brilliant job for such a cheap price!

I dragged that out a bit didn't I?............... :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    another ghd-er here! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Karmin is the best!
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So looking at the website: http://www.ghd.uk.com/

which are best?

ghd Professional Ceramic Straightener £ 89.95

ghd Salon Styler £ 95.95

Kodo Creative with heat dial £ 75.95

Kodo Professional straightener £ 39.95

e-tric session stick £ 75.95

Hair Tools Largo £59.95

The Kodo Creative Wet 2 Straight
    Professional Ceramic Straightener £ 69.95

These ones. Love GHD

And that is not a GHD link.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Another vote for GHD. I've been using them for years. I'm on my third set, but that's in over ten years, so not bad really!

I've tried other straighteners and they just pull at my hair. I always return to GHDs.

Remember to use with good products though or you'll get a build up of residue which isn't good.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's an amazon link link
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for GHDs! I must have had mine for about four or five years by now and they're showing no signs of giving up. Well worth the £100 ish I paid for them. Mine are the bigger, wider plated GHDs as my hair is especially wild and frizzy!
  • Options
    Kal ElKal El Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Get some Corioliss. Best straighteners I've ever used.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8 year old thread, I reckon the OP has got some new straighteners by now!