iPad Data Sim - GiffGaff or 3

douknowotimean?douknowotimean? Posts: 1,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,
I don't know if I am posting this in the right forum or not but I was just wondering whether GiffGaff or Three are the best for an iPad Data Sim.

They both offer £7.50 for 1GB of data, which is more than we need IMO but i just wondering which is the best as both are supposed to have excellent coverage where I live.

Comments

• legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well the iPad3 is better than the iPad2
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Three have more 3G coverage than Giff Gaff and a much faster network. However all that means nothing if you have no 3 network in YOUR area.

Best thing to do is go to a 3 and O2 store and ask them to check your coverage on their internal system checker. It is much more in depth than the Online checker and shows you where your masts are and what type of signal you should expect.

If you travel a lot i would go with Three as Giff Gaff don't have 3G in a lot of places.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tmobile sims on eBay are like £16 and last 12 months.
  • douknowotimean?douknowotimean? Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Tmobile sims on eBay are like £16 and last 12 months.

Is that PAYG, which is similar to the three network PAYG sims?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that PAYG, which is similar to the three network PAYG sims?

Yeah it's PAYG, you can buy them from eBay and they are already setup to last 12 months, once they run out its easier to just buy another.

Handy thing about tmobile is when you run out of allowance it still works for web browsing and email.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sneaky alert:

I bought a Three preloaded 1GB data SIM that lasts a month or 1GB whichever finishes first.

Costs £10.49 but when bought via Quidco cashback earns £12.50 so you get paid to use it (cashback not guaranteed and can take some months to get paid back to you.

Now, if this continues to work I shall buy a SIM a month at £10.49 and make about £2 per transaction. You're obviously supposed to top up the SIM every time it runs out but there doesn't seem to be much to stop you buying a SIM and chucking it away when it runs out. Prior to this I was buying 1GB preloaded SIM's from Ebay for about £5 each....
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovivo do a tablet sim with 500mb a month completely free. The sim costs £10 as a one off payment. You can buy more allowance if you need too. Fantastic IMO.
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    500mb? Last month I used 7gb and this month just over 10gb with 7 days left, but then the iPad is our main Internet device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    500mb? Last month I used 7gb and this month just over 10gb with 7 days left, but then the iPad is our main Internet device.

My iPad gets used a lot too but I'm normally somewhere with Wi-Fi so 500MB tends to be enough.
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giffgaff has no contract, you can just not top it up and it will cease.

Whereas isn't the 3 one a contract (with direct debit)? So you'll need to call their Indian call centre if and when you want to cancel (and you have to give 30 days notice). And they don't like letting you go without a fight. It took me a 15 minute phone call to get a PAC code from them. I'd never go to 3 again purely for that reason.