Grundig GDT1500

jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Grundig GDT1500
For anyone still using this good old trooper, an update (5.3)
has become available which has now completely removed the much criticised teletext guide, ( which installed a year or two back). I was a bit suspicious about accepting it - in the light of some old Freeview models being made obsolete by a software upgrade- but so far so good, its back to its old self. So thanks to whoever sorted it finally.

Anybody else had any problems with the upgrade?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    V5.5. You'll get Teletext Extra Bugs back tomorrow once it's done the overnight EPG update. See http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=27844427 and onwards.
  • jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No update available to mine which is still stuck on v3.6 with its split nit problems of channels in the 800's

Sometimes this happens because your box is picking up two different transmitters . In the old days it would be like being in an area that picked up two different ITV regions. check the channels in the 800 when the local news is on see if its picking another area's news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Mine updated last night and seems to be working fine.

Anyone know who supplied the update?

I wasn't aware of any company still supporting Grundig boxes
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sqareeyes wrote: »
    Mine updated last night and seems to be working fine.

Anyone know who supplied the update?

I wasn't aware of any company still supporting Grundig boxes

It is Teletext and Inview as before and only for Teletext Extra Bugs see thread here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=552393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No update available to mine which is still stuck on v3.6 with its split nit problems of channels in the 800's

Versions of the box stuck on v3.6 were never updated and are obsolete. Mine was on v3.4 when it was first upgraded? by Teletext to v4.8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    MC2 wrote: »
    V5.5. You'll get Teletext Extra Bugs back tomorrow once it's done the overnight EPG update. See http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=27844427 and onwards.

My GTD1000 has just updated this evening, there is now an option in the Setup screen to choose the original EPG (ad free, non teletext)

Also, channel numbering is fixed, BBC1 is no longer at 847!
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Versions of the box stuck on v3.6 were never updated and are obsolete. Mine was on v3.4 when it was first upgraded? by Teletext to v4.8

My GDT1000 which was stuck on v3.6 has just now updated to v5.5. A rescan has fixed the split NIT:D

Will decide tomorrow whether to go with the new guide - assuming my flatmates leave the box in standby tonight.:sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Grundig GDT1500 Updated and Killed on 4 Oct 08.

Our box had worked perfectly..... was on v4.8 going to 5.3

An automatic update started, we could not see how to stop it. after 15 mins with "thermometer bar" reaching the top, the box switched itself off and now does not boot-up. Somebody should be legally responsible for this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StuartB wrote: »
    My GDT1000 which was stuck on v3.6 has just now updated to v5.5. A rescan has fixed the split NIT

This is excellent news. Let's hope everyone else who binned v3.6 versions of GDT1000 & 1500 can get upgraded. :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    After my initial post today I discovered a helpline that looks after older Grundig set top boxes, (made by Thompson), and also other Thompson set top boxes. This includes Grundig GDT1500 and GDT1500T -(the T stands for Thompson). I understand GDT1000 is under same cover. The helpline (Tel 01788 541970), took my details and I got a call-back from the software house that did the upgrade, and as the software upgrade was the cause of failure, they have agreed to repair my box free of charge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    It is Teletext and Inview as before and only for Teletext Extra Bugs see thread here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=552393

Many thanks
  • sixhundredsixhundred Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    My trusty old Grundig has been telling me about the new download for a wee while. However every time I attempt to download the update if immediately fails.

I've taken previous upgrades with no problem.

Do I have to be on a particular channel? Anyone got any tips?

(Recently I rescanned all the channels and the numbers have gone to pot. BBC1 is on 811. Very strange. I can't seem to fix it either!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5. The new software will fix the channel numbering. You will be prompted to download the Teletext Extra EPG after the upgrade (1st switchon I think) but you can opt to keep the old EPG in Setup.
  • etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    Both my parents and myself have these boxes. Upgrading from 5.3 to 5.5 had caused no new problems but has not solved any old ones. Channels still move from their correct numbers up to the 800s after a few days. The ghastly Teletext guide is still present and has to be manually disabled after each upgrade. Fortunately it stays disabled, until the next upgrade, so that isn't too bad. The "old" guide is still a bit sluggish about acquiring data.

The main problem with my parents' one is that the remote is wearing out. The buttons need to be pressed very hard. If only it wasn't a sealed unit, I reckon I could fix that myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    etldlrl wrote: »
    Both my parents and myself have these boxes. Upgrading from 5.3 to 5.5 had caused no new problems but has not solved any old ones. Channels still move from their correct numbers up to the 800s after a few days. .
    Is this still a problem? My channels have remained where they should be.
  • etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    StuartB wrote: »
    Is this still a problem? My channels have remained where they should be.

No. A few radio channels still migrate to the 800s a few days after replacing all the channels. We have leaned to ignore it.