ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    But bad news yesterday for Itv, only 1.1million for Ade in Britain, which is half of Tipping Points ratings! Itv are losing this important late afternoon ratings battle.

Dont forget you called for Tipping Point to be axed on Day 1 of its run. It will obviously be back, all the stronger for its rest. Ade will grow in the slot just as everything else they put there does from TP to Britains Best Dish.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Thats not critical reaction, thats reaction from a few people on DS. The actual proper critics liked it. DS people will always moan and groan about most new dramas.
    Dont forget you called for Tipping Point to be axed on Day 1 of its run. It will obviously be back, all the stronger for its rest. Ade will grow in the slot just as everything else they put there does from TP to Britains Best Dish.
    Even if it grows, it will fail to get Tipping Point kinda ratings. And how much damage is that low lead in doing to The Chase. Was it below the all-important 3million mark yesterday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it grows, it will fail to get Tipping Point kinda ratings. And how much damage is that low lead in doing to The Chase. Was it below the all-important 3million mark yesterday?

And how much damage will the BBC endlessly recycling the same shows in repeats ultimately do to hasten the early demise of their shows?
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the problem with running a show over five nights, if it's a turkey (like Mayday) it basically wipes out the whole of the week at 9pm. I must have missed the ratings tweet from Roger Mosey today - has he sent one? ;)

ITV couldn't care less about Ade In Britain if they have a night like last night, the ABC1 viewers with high disposable income watch TV in peak time and the advertisers know it.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    So after all that fuss last night, Samuel decides to skim over Broadchurch's very comfortable victory last night instead to focus on an 8pm slot filler as proof of this crisis. I thought this was a 'major drama battle'? But now suddenly (and conveniently) ratings don't matter?

We didn't even need +1 to see who won that battle last night.
    Forum Member
    I have acknowledged Broadchurch did rate good yesterday. Having watched it this morning, it was a very good drama with an amazing cast. Thats all Im going to say on this topic for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    So after all that fuss last night, Samuel decides to skim over Broadchurch's very comfortable victory last night instead to focus on an 8pm slot filler as proof of this crisis.

a 4PM daytime filler even!
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not critical reaction, thats reaction from a few people on DS. The actual proper critics liked it. DS people will always moan and groan about most new dramas.

Your posts remind me of that story about the young army recruit who wrote home to his Mum to say his training was going very well "but everyone's marching out of step apart from me."

Your self-belief and importance, even in the face of proven facts, is utterly hilarious. I hope they never close this thread down. It's a hoot.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    a 4PM daytime filler even!

My mistake. :p
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    The series of Tipping Point which just finished got 1.2m first time round and 2m by the end of the series. With a 2m lead-in, The Chase was still doing 3m as before (autumn 2012).
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    BBC ratings crisis! Quick, someone start a thread,....

There was a thread and it was shut because it became irrelevant :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    The series of Tipping Point which just finished got 1.2m first time round and 2m by the end of the series. With a 2m lead-in, The Chase was still doing 3m as before (autumn 2012).

There will be a big drop off today for all daytime due to the nice weather.
  • mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I have acknowledged Broadchurch did rate good yesterday. Having watched it this morning, it was a very good drama with an amazing cast. Thats all Im going to say on this topic for now.

someone pass me the smelling salts!!!!
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mayday is a powerful psychological thriller intended to appeal to a sophisticated audience, not necessarily a big mainstream audience. It is not about the ratings with Mayday, it is the critical reception as well as the legacy which it leaves behind which will be important to the BBC. 4.2million is still very respectable rating and will consolidate over 5million.

Good rating for Broadchurch. But bad news yesterday for Itv, only 1.1million for Ade in Britain, which is half of Tipping Points ratings! Itv are losing this important late afternoon ratings battle.

Oh deary me! So as soon as you see Mayday is losing viewers and lost to ITV, you have to think of a reason why, and that reason is it is a 'powerful psychological thriller intended to appeal to a sophisticated audience'. Well this poxy excuse may have been slightly credible if it was up against some dodgy reality show, but I think you seem to be forgetting it was up another powerful drama aimed at sophisticated audiences, so your stupid excuse is a load of rubbish.

Of course it is about the ratings with Mayday, otherwise they could have just stuck it in the 10.35pm slot across the week.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha, if a major ITV drama lost 2m from one day to the next, it would be a massive disaster and a sign ITV are in crisis, and that bosses would be worried etc...

But when it happens to a BBC drama it's actually because the drama is too intelligent for the audience. "It's not about ratings". Funniest stuff read in this thread for ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    But when it happens to a BBC drama it's actually because the drama is too intelligent for the audience. "It's not about ratings". Funniest stuff read in this thread for ages.

Samuel uttering "its not about ratings" was certainly a new line from him. Might of saved us 86 pages of drivel if he had said that on day 1 ;)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some more serious television can be just as bad as low brow programmes people are quick to criticise. I can remember Channel 4 at the height of the Jeremy Isaacs era showing a blue screen with Derek Jarman giving a monologue behind it. Similarly Mayday seems little more exciting.
    Forum Member
    There will be a big drop off today for all daytime due to the nice weather.

I could accept that as it would make sense - though Samuel wouldn't.

I think the football will rate decently though.
    Forum Member
    Awful news for Itv, all British teams have been knocked out or all but knocked out of the champions league which they pay multi million pound contract. Lots of bad ratings coming up for all foreign ties anf the final will get trounced by the BBC Voice!
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful news for Itv, all British teams have been knocked out or all but knocked out of the champions league which they pay multi million pound contract. Lots of bad ratings coming up for all foreign ties anf the final will get trounced by the BBC Voice!

STILL MATCH DEPENDENT and also will be down to how interesting or other wise the voice is of course
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    There was a thread and it was shut because it became irrelevant :D

tried that one already and since wshen was the 4pm slot important
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one other thought is samuel suggesting that the audience are too thick to understand mayday which is tripe btw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anf the final will get trounced by the BBC Voice!

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We Are All Dooooooooooooommmmmmmededdd!!!

Dooooooooooommed!
    Forum Member
    11million peak for Man U v Real. very good.

But bitter sweet moment for Itv who will get a fraction of those ratings for the remainder of the tournament. BT sport are sniffing around ready to snatch away these cL rights from Itv for the next deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But bitter sweet moment for Itv who will get a fraction of those ratings for the remainder of the tournament.

3/4 is a fraction; as is 8/10. Doesnt make them bad!