Comments

• Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McMahauld wrote: »
    It does mean what I think it means.
    Ergo, I know what it means. :)

You got me there! I couldn't help but refer to the Princess Bride pun :)
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the self service checkouts get religion? 'Unclean item in bagging area, please remove this item and repent.'
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Don't you think it says as much about M&S and their policies as it does about the prejudices of some people who'd actually stop shopping somewhere that is a national shop selling a huge range of clothing, home products, food because they've got a policy (that is not mandatory, and is unlikely to even be used) that affects tills in their food hall? I think it does.

It depends doesn't it. If it causes inconvenience and delays (and it might well do at busy times) for me as acustomer, then yes that would be a factor in my choice to go there in future.
    Not because 'I don't like Muslims' -I have absolutely no problem with them - but because I expect a certain level of customer service, and this policy could well affect that.
    In my experience the service at the tills in M+S ia already slower than it is in other shops, most of the things are more expensive, and I don't think this is going to improve the situation for their customers. It doesn't seem like a sensible business decision to me.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    That's right, if the article said it was M&S policy then with the information we have right now, that's the basis for the debate. Should further information be forthcoming we can see what that means.

So for now it's M&S policy. And Muslims weren't campaigning or protesting. I think for the time being these are two pretty reasonably accurate facts. If someone has information that belies that, I'll be as keen as anyone to see it.

I bet it was implemented under the advice of HR lawyers as a liability shield for future potential HR legal issues, rather than through actual staff complaints.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    A dastardly ploy to make you use self service....

I'm amused by the idea of customers racially profiling checkout assistants...
    The thing is, if you take alcohol to a self-service till you have to wait for a shop assistant to come over and validate it anyway, in my experience :D So anyone who did that would be losing just as much time. But at least they wouldn't be giving in to the Muslims!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the "it's M&S policy, not driven by muslims" thing is a bit of a red herring. If a muslim server enacts it then you're personally inconvenienced by someone involving you in their irrational beliefs either way.

It's not a red herring in the context of the source of it.

It's a separate issue to exploring the "what does it mean if a Muslim assistant did invoke the policy?". But it's not a red herring.

Let's not go down the route of disregarding parts of the debate - not all of us want to talk about all aspects of the issue but it shouldn't stop those of us who do from discussing it, right?
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been to a Muslim country and they were quite happy to serve me alcohol??
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    If I got to the top of the queue and the assistant refused to serve me something they are selling in the shop I'd just abandon my shopping at the till. There's no way I'd queue twice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I bet it was implemented under the advice of HR lawyers as a liability shield for future potential HR legal issues, rather than through actual staff complaints.

Yeah a few other posters have said the same. It's certainly feasible. I hope we can get a definitive answer from M&S or elsewhere but for now we just have the information in the news article and our own debates and theories.

I do have to say the idea of it being a HR/lawyer liability rule does seem feasible to me.

Also it's the DM. If Muslims HAD been protesting about wanting a policy, surely the DM of all papers would have put that as being central to the story? Surely they'd have been making that a primary aspect of the headline? But it doesn't appear to be the case.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    Well, I have spent years as a consultant to retail organisations, including M&S, and I disagree. M&S know their customers and know most won't care about this at all.

M&S have had pretty hard time, overall. You say their food side has been okay but the whole story is that it doesn't take long to lose your footing. One minute you're the nation's favourite knickers seller and the next you're not. Poor customer service plays its part. Otherwise companies wouldn't spend so much on staff training.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    It depends doesn't it. If it causes inconvenience and delays (and it might well do at busy times) for me as acustomer, then yes that would be a factor in my choice to go there in future.
    Not because 'I don't like Muslims' -I have absolutely no problem with them - but because I expect a certain level of customer service, and this policy could well affect that.

Oh come on... we all know the biggest delays are caused by other customers. Any Supermarket that has a coupon system going on is going to cause more delay than someone saying "can you scan these sausages for me thanks".

But we all know that don't we ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience the service at the tills in M+S ia already slower than it is in other shops, most of the things are more expensive, and I don't think this is going to improve the situation for their customers. It doesn't seem like a sensible business decision to me.

I get you in terms of time and inconvenience. I'm just unsure how often it would/could happen. And I would hope they'd call for a replacement assistant rather than direct you to another till - that would be quite a stupid situation. All in all I think it's a bonkers policy by the company. I hope they will revoke it. I don't think Muslims have been calling for it, and I don't think it's going to help the company's image.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Telegraph article implies that much the same arrangements apply in Morrisons and Tesco, by the way. Just for those of you who are crossing unacceptable shops off your list.
  • Options
    KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Yeah it's always easy to say that now, never easy in real life though is it when you're on a tight schedule, though I suppose you have all the free time in the world..if you get my drift.

No I don't,would you care to explain..:confused:
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    M&S have had pretty hard time, overall. You say their food side has been okay but the whole story is that it doesn't take long to lose your footing. One minute you're the nation's favourite knickers seller and the next you're not. Poor customer service plays its part. Otherwise companies wouldn't spend so much on staff training.

I agree - but I doubt this issue even figures on their 'threats radar' to be honest. They will do what they need to in order to protect their valuable trained staff... if there was an issue in a particular store over this then they would simply find another way to deal with it.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    This is one of those topics where you can take the arguments for or against the issue and turn them back on the person holding the viewpoint.

So you can say "If the customer doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere to shop", but you can also say "If the employee doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere to work".

Or "M&S should respect the views of its employees" can become "M&S should respect the views of its customers".

And so forth.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that the M&S policy is at fault here. After all, the employee is paid to do their job. The customer gives their money to the company in return for goods and provision of service. So to accommodate the former at the expense of the latter doesn't really make good business sense to me.

I'm not anti Muslim I just feel that religion is a private thing that shouldn't really impact your job.

It's a bit like how I don't think it's acceptable for registrars to refuse to conduct civil partnerships on religious grounds. You are entirely free to believe whatever you so choose in your personal life, but when your religious views are imposed on a customer through the course of your job it doesn't seem right.

That said, this policy will likely impact a tiny, tiny amount of people in the long run and the hysteria it's generated is silly.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey, like M&S aren't already tediously slow at serving people. Well actually it's their customers that are like snails, never known anything like it.
  • Options
    KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been to a Muslim country and they were quite happy to serve me alcohol??

This is what I don't understand,I have been served my Muslims when buying alcohol.

I think the people who are refusing to do so are a very small minority and people shouldn't be getting offended. If you treat people with tolerance and respect it is more likely to be reciprocated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - but I doubt this issue even figures on their 'threats radar' to be honest. They will do what they need to in order to protect their valuable trained staff... if there was an issue in a particular store over this then they would simply find another way to deal with it.

I'd be astounded if this brought about their downfall. It really is inconceivable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    The Telegraph article implies that much the same arrangements apply in Morrisons and Tesco, by the way. Just for those of you who are crossing unacceptable shops off your list.

I think it's just Morrison's, not Tescos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm really getting the impression from your posts that M+S value their staff over their customers. Interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    It would be to me. I don't live in an Islamic state. But of course the answer is to stop emplying Muslims who refuse to carry out their duties. Who else would be allowed to decide what goods they will supply and which not?
    Catholics?
    jra wrote: »
    For one thing, I treat the elderly with respect and will help them if help is required. Another thing is though they might be elderly, you can learn a lot from them, as they are generally much more wiser than the average young i-Phone wielding hoodie, that thinks they know everything, but know diddly shit and try and make up for the short fall, by being a major bullshitter. You see it all too often these days.
    What if it's an elderly Muslim?!
    I think it's just Morrison's, not Tescos.
    Could be - the Tesco quote is a bit vague. But it sounds like it's down to the discretion of the store manager, so I expect if the problem is at all widespread, some Tesco stores will make allowances.
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could all be sorted by having "Green anything goes" lanes, and "Red religious bigot" lanes. Hugely lit up so everyone knows which checkout assistant is on.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would Mohammed say?

He'd probably tell some muslims to stop being so bloody precious as nobody is requiring them to unwrap and lick the goods as they put them through the scanner.

Then again this might be some of the usual DM bullshit that only has a grain of truth in it.
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just dont shop at M and S,pretty simple really,they will soon change their tune once they watch profits drop...