Microsoft Payola

fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not seen mention of it here but;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-21-microsoft-paid-youtubers-to-say-nice-things-about-xbox-one-report

Short version. MS paid people to say nice things about the XBone on youtube, and had an NDA to stop you saying that you were being paid.

The sad thing is it's not shocking or surprising, and there's no huge outcry because this is endemic in the gaming industry. A large proportion of reviews are bought, and shills are everywhere on social media, but we just accept it. Even though It's illegal to not say something is an advert, when it is. Does anyone have any gaming sites they still trust 100%?

Comments

• blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    Not seen mention of it here but;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-21-microsoft-paid-youtubers-to-say-nice-things-about-xbox-one-report

Short version. MS paid people to say nice things about the XBone on youtube, and had an NDA to stop you saying that you were being paid.

The sad thing is it's not shocking or surprising, and there's no huge outcry because this is endemic in the gaming industry. A large proportion of reviews are bought, and shills are everywhere on social media, but we just accept it. Even though It's illegal to not say something is an advert, when it is. Does anyone have any gaming sites they still trust 100%?

It does not surprise me one bit and I'm certain it has happened before and will continue. But I don't really care one way or another, I can't remember the last time I used a review site to dictate what I should or should not buy. When I was younger I was always on these sites reading reviews etc...

I use my own judgement now and if I buy a game which I don't enjoy then i'll sell it on or trade it in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rarely read reviews to be honest and if I ever do it's more to look at the screenshots or videos to see if I like the look of a game. I think the vast majority of mainstream sites are pretty biased anyway.

If I'm ever on the fence about a game I'll check out the user scores on gamefaqs as that seems to be a pretty good indicator in my experience. Let Microsoft et al carry on wasting their money.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really go off reviews. I tend to go off gameplay videos. Every now and then I'll take a punt on a game from the back of the box. Rarely been wrong doing that. Morrowind, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Borderlands were all impulse buys.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Yeah, its all quite depressing really.

Paid for reviews on websites and in magazines.

Professional "reviewers" on sites like Amazon giving either good or bad reviews of products depending on their employer.

Astro Turfers in forums giving support or criticism for a certain side.

There seems to be something of a collective "everybody does it" shrug whenever companies a pulled up on it. As for how effective it actually is - Well, I bet the companies that provide the services have loads of "proof" that their services are invaluable.

Just means, we the consumer, have to treat everything we read with a healthy dose of scepticism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its just a typical marketing ploy at the end of the day.

The NDA doesnt make MS look very good but then from MS point of view its no different to paying to have an advert on the TV and want to make sure that their product comes off in the best possible light.

I know that EA have the same agreement with Machinima and wouldnt surprise me if other companies like Sony and Apple also do as well.

As other posters have stated, is it any difference to paying "pro reviewers" to give a product great ratings or post glowing reviews on blogs/twitter/facebook?

If this type of thing coming to light makes you think twice about a review and forces you to think for yourself then that can only be a good thing.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I tend to go by what's said on here, and Amazon reviews, wouldn't pay much attention to Youtube just use it to actually see the game running to make sure I like the mechanics.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Hehe:)

My very first thread i made in the gaming section of this forum was about Microsoft bribing reviewers

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=670058

from 2007!:o

Seems like some things don't change.

Edit: The link i quoted in the thread has gone, but microsoft sent a reviewer a free console, a spartan collectors helmet and a bunch of other free stuff, which they sent back after making a video about it IIRC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I have to say both the Xbox one and Ps4 are superb consoles ...is my cheque in post??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say both the Xbox one and Ps4 are superb consoles ...is my cheque in post??

I wish it worked like that!

There isnt a lot of cash in these adverts, read somewhere that is equel to $3 for every 1000 views with a cap in place to not go over a certain amount as well as having a time limit built in so the contract expires in 3 months or so.
    According to my ropey math, say half a million views of a video 500,000 / 1000 = 500 x 3 - $1500.

Most vids where not getting anywhere near that sowhile its money for essentially nothing its hardly enough to retire on and now who will trust any further content knowing your essentially an advertiser.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    MEANWHILE, we join 2Dshmuplover at the bank.

:D

note: just a joke, a friendly little jab, nothing more, no need to be offended.