Door lock

mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can some one clarify something regarding a door lock?

We have a composite door, the lock is a Yale and can't be opened from the outside with out a key.
To lock the door, we have to raise the handle then turn the key to lock it. Raising the handle also activates the triple locks on the door similar to a deadbolt. If we raise the handle activating the deadbolts without using the key until later on in the night, we thought that made it safer.
We discovered the other day, raising the handle on the outside of the door then pushing the handle down deactivates the deadbolts without using a key from the outside, that is if we haven't locked the door from the inside with a key.
By doing this, it only leaves a normal Yale lock in place.
Is this normal or is it a faulty lock? We are confused
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We have a composite door, the lock is a Yale and can't be opened from the outside with out a key.
    To lock the door, we have to raise the handle then turn the key to lock it. Raising the handle also activates the triple locks on the door similar to a deadbolt. If we raise the handle activating the deadbolts without using the key until later on in the night, we thought that made it safer.
    We discovered the other day, raising the handle on the outside of the door then pushing the handle down deactivates the deadbolts without using a key from the outside, that is if we haven't locked the door from the inside with a key.
    Thanks in advance.

Did you get an instruction book with the door when it was fitted (or when you bought/rented the house if not I suggest you find the website for the company that made the door - details might be on the lock mechanism -

Failing that I'd contact a local Locksmith and ask them they may be able to tell you without a visit - but if they need to look at the lock I recon it would be worth a few Quid for some peace of mind! House Burglary can be really costly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance.

Did you get an instruction book with the door when it was fitted (or when you bought/rented the house if not I suggest you find the website for the company that made the door - details might be on the lock mechanism -

Failing that I'd contact a local Locksmith and ask them they may be able to tell you without a visit - but if they need to look at the lock I recon it would be worth a few Quid for some peace of mind! House Burglary can be really costly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a normal multi point lock to me and wouldn't lock unless you turn the key.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    We discovered the other day, raising the handle on the outside of the door then pushing the handle down deactivates the deadbolts without using a key from the outside, that is if we haven't locked the door from the inside with a key. .

Yes, that's normal behaviour with rack bolts. They behave exactly the same from inside and out: raising the handle (to drive the bolts in) and then not locking it has no reeal effect, because you can then simply open it by pushing the handle down to retract the bolts.

Such doors don't have an inside and an outside: if they're locked, the handle doesn't move and the bolts stay in place, if they're not, the handle opens the door from either side.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not familiar with a composite door.

All the double-glazed doors I've seen work the same on the inside and outside: raising the handle operates the extra locking bolts (just using a key wouldn't have enough torque). Pressing the handle down disengages the bolts (and also release the spring latch thing).

The key needs to be used to lock the handle so that it can't be pushed down. (On some doors, there might be a knurled knob on the inside in place of the key. But this a feature of the replaceable Eurolock cylinder.)

This is unlike the old wooden doors with just a Yale cylinder and spring latch, which will lock without the key and soon as the door shuts. (And unlike also certain hotel room doors where the inside and outside handles are independent: you can open from the inside using the handle and no key, but not from the outside.)
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ibatten wrote: »
    Yes, that's normal behaviour with rack bolts. They behave exactly the same from inside and out: raising the handle (to drive the bolts in) and then not locking it has no reeal effect, because you can then simply open it by pushing the handle down to retract the bolts.

Such doors don't have an inside and an outside: if they're locked, the handle doesn't move and the bolts stay in place, if they're not, the handle opens the door from either side.

Spot on - and furthermore, if the door is locked and a key left in the inside lock, the door cannot be unlocked or locked from the outside with a key until the inside key is removed.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThNk you everyone for your advice.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the OP's info, this is what is classically known as a Yale Lock

http://www.express-keys.co.uk/images/yalenightlatch.jpg

It always mounts on the internal face of the door leaf.