Options

Sky Multiroom Phone Line Enquiry

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

This is what I've been told from Sky. If u have a new Sky HD box with built in WiFi, u no longer need a telephone cable to order PPV. If u have an old Sky HD box that connects via ethernet cable, u still need an active telephone line connected to order PPV.

Baz

nonsense.
    mine does not have wifi.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    nonsense.
    mine does not have wifi.

I agree, Sky CS's just make up any old rubbish :D
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

I spoke to my gf this evening, who also is a Sky HD customer. I'd asked her to disconnect her fine line from the Sky HD box and low and behold, she was able to order PPV as her box had an ethernet connection.

I'm just off the fine to Sky and was told this BS. There will be another EPG version roll out that will allow customers to disconnect the fone line and order PPV over the internet. Also I was in violation of my Sky contract as none of my three Sky HD boxes were connected to the fone line.

Yet yesterday when I spoke to Sky I was told that a Sky box no longer needs to be connected to a fone line and I was no longer in violation of my Sky contract.

My conclusion, u pay peanuts, u get monkey's lol.

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just off the fine to Sky and was told this BS. There will be another EPG version roll out that will allow customers to disconnect the fone line and order PPV over the internet.

that is also nonsense.
    Also I was in violation of my Sky contract as none of my three Sky HD boxes were connected to the fone line.

Yet yesterday when I spoke to Sky I was told that a Sky box no longer needs to be connected to a fone line and I was no longer in violation of my Sky contract.[/QUOTE]

that depends on when you became a multiroom subscriber.
    if it was before Dec 18 2013 then are in violation.
    if it was after Dec 18 then you are not in violation.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still on hold ?
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully the no phone line needed for new install multiroom Sky is correct.

When my mum gets Sky in her new house next week there will be no phone line or broadband as that is not being fitted until the day after Sky arrive.

I assume they do not need a phone connection to set up Sky as it is all done via the dish? Once the phone/broadband arrives I can connect up to the internet and get the interactive stuff working for her as I realise that the Sky installer will not be able to do that without a phone or broadband working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hopefully the no phone line needed for new install multiroom Sky is correct.

Yes, of course it's correct - it's even listed on the Sky website, the link has been posted here previously.

When my mum gets Sky in her new house next week there will be no phone line or broadband as that is not being fitted until the day after Sky arrive.

I assume they do not need a phone connection to set up Sky as it is all done via the dish? Once the phone/broadband arrives I can connect up to the internet and get the interactive stuff working for her as I realise that the Sky installer will not be able to do that without a phone or broadband working.

Assuming it's an actual Sky installer, then they have PDA's they can do it with, otherwise a voice call would be needed.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, of course it's correct - it's even listed on the Sky website, the link has been posted here previously.

Assuming it's an actual Sky installer, then they have PDA's they can do it with, otherwise a voice call would be needed.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Could that call be done by mobile?

Though it is an official Sky booking so I assume will be a Sky installer.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reassurance.

Could that call be done by mobile?

Though it is an official Sky booking so I assume will be a Sky installer.

The call can be done by any phone that can get a signal to connect to the phone system.

As you are having an install, it is their job to do it, and have the tools necessary, not your responsibility to supply a working phone line or mobile.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All customers installed after the 18th December with a HD+ box connected to the internet will be able to order PPV through the broadband connection whether they have multi-room or not. If you have multi-room added after the 18th December both your cards will be enabled for broadband PPV. If your cards were active before 18th December (multi room customers) then at this point you will still need a telephone line connection to enable PPV. Since the 18th December all CLI customers will be made exempt (despite the CLI warning letters being sent). No service calls will be booked for CLI unless you want the phoneline connection for PPV use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CTD101 wrote: »
    If your cards were active before 18th December (multi room customers) then at this point you will still need a telephone line connection to enable PPV. .

i have evidence of that being incorrect though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All customers installed after the 18th December with a HD+ box connected to the internet will be able to order PPV through the broadband connection whether they have multi-room or not. If you have multi-room added after the 18th December both your cards will be enabled for broadband PPV. If your cards were active before 18th December (multi room customers) then at this point you will still need a telephone line connection to enable PPV. Since the 18th December all CLI customers will be made exempt (despite the CLI warning letters being sent). No service calls will be booked for CLI unless you want the phoneline connection for PPV use.

Not according to Sky's own website, it clearly states that if your box is connected to the internet, you can order PPV, it does not say it has to have been installed after the 18th December.

http://help.sky.com/tv/find-record-t...movie-or-event

The easiest way to order Sky Box Office events is with your Sky remote. If your Sky box doesn’t have an active broadband connection, you’ll need to make sure your box is connected to a functioning phone line before ordering.
  • Options
    Forum Member

One example (yourself) doesn't really constitute 'evidence' :D

Although I suspect there are probably many more in a similar situation, but probably no where near as many as still need the phone line to order PPV.

As CTD101 stated, Sky will still book service calls (but only on request, and probably not if they can possibly avoid it :D) to sort out phone problems for those wanting to order PPV if fitted pre-18th December.

Presumably your account has simply been updated to allow PPV via the Internet?, perhaps by accident, or perhaps you spoke to a particularly competent CS one day, who had high enough access to set it for you?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i'm not using me as the evidence.
    Presumably your account has simply been updated to allow PPV via the Internet?, perhaps by accident, or perhaps you spoke to a particularly competent CS one day, who had high enough access to set it for you?.

not my account
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i'm not using me as the evidence.

So how many thousands have you checked? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how many thousands have you checked? :p

how many thousands have you checked?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Although I suspect there are probably many more in a similar situation, but probably no where near as many as still need the phone line to order PPV.

As CTD101 stated, Sky will still book service calls (but only on request, and probably not if they can possibly avoid it :D) to sort out phone problems for those wanting to order PPV if fitted pre-18th December.

What about Sky's own webpage, that I linked, that clearly states you can order PPV if your box is network connected (it doesn't say only if installed after 17th December), and you only need a phone line if it is not?

http://help.sky.com/tv/find-record-tv-programmes/ordering-a-sky-box-office-movie-or-event

In fact, the only mention of the date is for systems ordered AFTER 17th December, which are not network connected, which state you have to order by phoning them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

If u read over my posts and the BS that Sky have told me. If I want to order PPV, I'll have to connect a fone line even though my Sky HD boxes r all connected to the internet.

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

If u read over my posts and the BS that Sky have told me. If I want to order PPV, I'll have to connect a fone line even though my Sky HD boxes r all connected to the internet.

Baz

If your HD boxes were activated before the 18th December you will still require a telephone line connection to order PPV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had a feeling you might :D

All the briefs stated to us is if you had multiroom installed prior to Dec 18th you will still need a phoneline connection for PPV. If you only had a single box before Dec 18th your card will allow PPV via BB automatically. If you have new multiroom fitted after Dec 18th then all your cards will be able to order PPV over BB. If you upgrade an existing multiroom box to a BB connected (ie Sky+SD to +HD) but dont change the viewing card (not a new multiroom sub) then you will need a phoneline for PPV but not for CLI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a feeling you might :D

All the briefs stated to us is if you had multiroom installed prior to Dec 18th you will still need a phoneline connection for PPV. If you only had a single box before Dec 18th your card will allow PPV via BB automatically. If you have new multiroom fitted after Dec 18th then all your cards will be able to order PPV over BB. If you upgrade an existing multiroom box to a BB connected (ie Sky+SD to +HD) but dont change the viewing card (not a new multiroom sub) then you will need a phoneline for PPV but not for CLI

that may be the brief, but in reality i've found it not to be the case (on more than one occasion with different accounts/locations).
    mutilroom accounts installed long before dec 18 were able to order PPV using internet connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that may be the brief, but in reality i've found it not to be the case (on more than one occasion with different accounts/locations).
    mutilroom accounts installed long before dec 18 were able to order PPV using internet connection.

i dont doubt you have. I can only guess that someone in the back end systems has adjusted the account. Recent install and service calls Ive attended would suggest that what the brief states is what is happening in the field. You have seen a couple of instances, Ive seen hundreds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i dont doubt you have. I can only guess that someone in the back end systems has adjusted the account. Recent install and service calls Ive attended would suggest that what the brief states is what is happening in the field. You have seen a couple of instances, Ive seen hundreds

This is what I suggested earlier, likewise I've seen many installs, presumably chenks has only seen a small few?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what I suggested earlier, likewise I've seen many installs, presumably chenks has only seen a small few?.

that would mean someone at sky has made the changes un-prompted by the customer then. possible, but why do it in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your HD boxes were activated before the 18th December you will still require a telephone line connection to order PPV.

Hi

All my Sky HD boxes were activated over three years ago. Will there be any plans for customers like myself to be able to order PPV without a fone cable connected?

Thanks

Baz