Under the Dome - Season 2 - UK Pace

Comments

• Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Eliot2 wrote: »
    I feel the same way as I say. Oh, fair enough. Have you read any of his other works then? Yes, big time I think. The plane in the new promos this week seems to indicate some book sources though. I think they pick and choose bits from the book, I guess like any television series derived from a novel.
    Yes, I read quite a few of his books including the Dark Tower series. I find Stephen King can be very good, when he is good he is one of the best writers around and greatly under-appreciated by the literary world, but he can also be overly verbose, and sometimes there are parts where the prose are just a bit turgid. He has an amazing imagination and vivid descriptive power, but I think his best works are now in the past. Under the Dome is just not enjoyable to read like some of his other books, which is why I gave it up (might pick it up after the show is over though).
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Just watched it again, "properly".

Award for the most no-****-Sherlock line of Ep1, Barbie's: "It's magnetic" :o

Poor Linda. They didn't mess about with killing her off. That is very, very squished. No coming back from that. Unless, y'know, the Dome decides to bring her back to life or something.

Teacher, terror in her eyes, pointing gun at Barbie: "You're that murderer!"
    Barbie grabs gun: "No I'm not, here, have your gun back...ah?!?"
    Teacher: "OK, I believe you, then". Some Jedi mind trick **** right there...:D

The flying saucepans in the kitchen was a highlight, hilarious! I don't know why, I guess there was so much silly, it all got too much for me at that point :D

I reckon I'd scream a darn sight more if a nail was threaded through my hand like that! Brave kid. Lets hope he gets a tetanus jab soon. He should probably neck 6 Nurofen and lie down for 16 hours rather than running around like he is, mind.

"Shut up and be dead!". Vintage Big Jim!

Everyone falls down, but not our Barbie. Tough as old boots.

When Linda dies, she lets her hair down. "I'm off duty now" would be her justification I guess.

Does Julia always carry that killer blade on her? Well, crazy times an' all, I guess it makes sense! Lucky for Big Jim.

Sam the cabin boy is a strange one. He seems to know exactly who the girl who was drowning is really...we don't know that it was her that attacked Angie, I think it was someone or something else. And who is the girl? Is she a personification of the dome?

There was some potential for romance between Sam and Julia and Barbie and the teacher. If only in a "it's not real, just a jealousy-causing thing" way.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Gatehouse wrote: »

Sam the cabin boy is a strange one. He seems to know exactly who the girl who was drowning is really...we don't know that it was her that attacked Angie, I think it was someone or something else. And who is the girl? Is she a personification of the dome?

Cabin Boy Sam's sister, who has previous for drawing weird shit that subsequently comes to life (e.g. Pink Stars Falling), had sketched the damp girl and he recognised her from the drawing. Not sure he knows any more about her than that.

Meanwhile, I can't remember from season 1 whether there was any reference to Jim not having a body to bury after Junior's mum supposedly took her own life, so currently a bit confused about her being in some other town still merrily painting away.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eliot2 wrote: »
    I'm about 400 pages in and Junior's not the only thing that's different! Everybody is. I wouldn't say Junior was that different; he's got dark undertones still very much present, only these undertones are far darker in the novel.
    Really? In the show he abducts Angie and keeps her prisoner for several days. That's not normal.
    johnloony wrote: »
    I think that the Dome was being selective in choosing some metal objects it wanted to attract for its own purposes, but leaving others. The Dome is like an all-powerful god, rather than a scientific instrument. It's manipulating events inside the dome for its own purposes, in the way it chooses to.
    Nah, I'm with the hot new science teacher. It all has a perfectly rational explanation. Nails are more ballistic than you'd think, and sometimes magnetism follows strange paths.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Award for the most no-****-Sherlock line of Ep1, Barbie's: "It's magnetic" :o

The flying saucepans in the kitchen was a highlight, hilarious! I don't know why, I guess there was so much silly, it all got too much for me at that point :D

Also to bring some science into it: Most saucepans are now made of aluminium and that isn't magnetic! :D
  • Mandy28Mandy28 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    THAT'S Tag from friends?? If I hadn't have read it on here, I never would've guessed that was him! He has not aged well!

Good to see Susan Lewis from ER though!

And hasn't Dean Norris lost a lot of weight since BB?
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was hooked on series 1 but after the two episodes of series 2 I just can't get back into it at all. It feels dragged out now. I just want to know who put the dome there and why!
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm somewhat bemused by the lynch mob with the ever-changing target - as for everything else I'm confused about whether or not I'm confused. Even the stuff that seems to come out of nowhere sort of fits with the whole tone of it.

The bit where they will have to start drawing lots is a bit grim though. Or maybe they will develop exciting new ways to cook caterpillars, though there's a bit of a problem with that one since they just killed off that particular food supply. D'oh!

And apparently when you turn up at someone's door to make a confession you get the chance to win a holiday. WTF Channel 5, get a grip! End of last scene, *then* the credits, and *then* the bloody competition! In that order! :mad:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I just want to know who put the dome there and why!
    Same here. Just silly, random people, events and interactions now. I am out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Just silly, random people, events and interactions now.
    You must be new to this show :p

If you can not see the candle-light, does the fire cease to exist? Can the statement "dinner is in the dog" ever be true?
  • LostindexLostindex Posts: 2,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    Yes, I read quite a few of his books including the Dark Tower series. I find Stephen King can be very good, when he is good he is one of the best writers around and greatly under-appreciated by the literary world, but he can also be overly verbose, and sometimes there are parts where the prose are just a bit turgid. He has an amazing imagination and vivid descriptive power, but I think his best works are now in the past. Under the Dome is just not enjoyable to read like some of his other books, which is why I gave it up (might pick it up after the show is over though).

Exactly where I am I gave up on the book but may start reading after the show !!!
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And apparently when you turn up at someone's door to make a confession you get the chance to win a holiday. WTF Channel 5, get a grip! End of last scene, *then* the credits, and *then* the bloody competition! In that order! :mad:

Oh, not just me then - I thought my PVR had screwed up the timings!

Nice editing - must have left it to the work experience kid this week!
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member

You are mistaken.

It's an American show - End of last scene/break for adverts/closing credits is how it is supposed to go! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    You are mistaken.
    It's an American show - End of last scene/break for adverts/closing credits is how it is supposed to go! :D
    Disgraceful hegemonic cultural destruction! I shall write stern letters to nobody and get nothing done!

If it was on 5US you might have a point but it's Channel 5 and they've converted it for the UK to the extent that they even use the British spelling of 'Dome' so I don't think our surprise is unreasonable.

Any indication at all that we had switched to something else would have been nice but there's been flashbacks here and there so a sudden change wouldn't be completely out of place.
    Nice editing - must have left it to the work experience kid this week!
    I have to disagree - this callousness was clearly the work of a senior professional, whereas the YTS would have put more thought into it and had some actual consideration for the viewer.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was on 5US you might have a point but it's Channel 5 and they've converted it for the UK to the extent that they even use the British spelling of 'Dome' so I don't think our surprise is unreasonable.
    How do they spell it in America? :confused: Dôme, like in France? :confused:

It's ridiculous that the opening titles say it's only two weeks since the dome appeared. Everything that happened in season 1 only took two weeks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    How do they spell it in America? :confused: Dôme, like in France? :confused:
    With a slight whooshing noise :p
    Everything that happened in season 1 only took two weeks?
    Yes, because time goes really fast in there. Or really slow. Maybe Dome time works differently and maybe Wednesday afternoons in there actually do last ten times longer than any other.
    Logical explanations, I have heard of them but they are in short supply.
    Forum Member
    So....how do the American's spell "dome"? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So....how do the American's spell "dome"? :confused:
    With the aforementioned whooshing noise, almost as if a nugget of purest green was passing overhead. There may also be a clang but this tends to be only when irony is used.
    Forum Member
    With the aforementioned whooshing noise, almost as if a nugget of purest green was passing overhead. There may also be a clang but this tends to be only when irony is used.

OK..."Doooosh?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK..."Doooosh?"
    *waves white flag*

:p
  • blightyearblightyear Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Joe: "Butterflies!"
    Norrie: "And they're dead!"
    Great. Thanks for that. I'd never have guessed that they were dead butterflies having just seen dead butterflies falling from the sky not seconds previously.

Barbie: "I flicked a switch and suddenly I've got extra fuel! It's as if there was a tank that held an extra reserve of fuel in case I ran out. Amazing!!!" Yeah that's Barbie; the Guy Who Has Flown Hundreds Of Missions, the guy that doesn't know what a reserve fuel tank is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I'm really liking the evolution of Big Jim and Rebecca's friendship; they are both going to be big trouble working together. Rebecca's line was chillingly awesome: "Selectively...Thinning The Herd"!

I'm not sure of how long Julia and Barbie will last. Big Jim seems to be reeling him in once more.

Sam continues to prove more trouble, so with a past of alcoholism, disappearing and now having a secret held by Liel, I'm wondering what else he's gotten himself into. Plus, did he threaten to kill Big Jim?

So, Pauline is alive?! I thought so.

That acid rain was a nice touch.

Melanie Cross...that's the mystery girl's name. That was a great cliffhanger. She's from 1987 somehow.

More questions! :)

I enjoyed it, yet again, but I couldn't help but feel like it was an advertisement for a Windows Tablet that I was watching. :D How's everyone else finding it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Really? In the show he abducts Angie and keeps her prisoner for several days. That's not normal.

Nah, I'm with the hot new science teacher. It all has a perfectly rational explanation. Nails are more ballistic than you'd think, and sometimes magnetism follows strange paths.

Yeah, really. Junior is even more of a complete psycho in the book. I won't spoil it for you.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The product placement isn't exactly subtle on US TV is it lol.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The product placement isn't exactly subtle on US TV is it lol.

No, especially when there is a whole segment about how Tetley's Infusions helps Erica's Business partner calm down.

Or how the Prius is such a great car to park.

I hope we never get that bad.