Friend lost her phone, and whoever found it wants £50 to give it back..

Release MeRelease Me Posts: 3,666
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Pretty much as the title says, my friend lost her phone and whoever has it wants £50 to bring it back. Problem is she's out of the country, and has asked me to get it for her and she'll give me the money when she's back.

Now this guy says he wants the £50 for his "troubles" of bringing it to our house and giving it to me, so i suggested he instead give his address and i'll pick it up for free and it won't cause him any trouble at all.

He' refused this, and is insisting he'll only drop it off at our house and wants the £50. To me this guy is effectively holding the phone for the money, and it's no better than theft.

My friend is quite happy to pay, but to me it isn't right, should i just let this guy get away with £50 of her money for effectively having now stolen the phone?

Comments

• Mint_TeaMint_Tea Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    What phone is it? And what are you intending to do in order to stop him getting away with it?
    Forum Member
    Invisi post
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phone the police!
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree tell the police,
    Forum Member
    What's to stop the other chap saying he doesn't have the phone though?
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Contact the police and your service provider and ask them to put a trace on the phone, they will be able to locate the phone down to a few metres, then forward the adress to the police.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    As Mr Shaun Ryder once said: "call the copsh!"
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very dangerous. How do you know he won't take your money then do a runner? Or even worse mug you? I'd contact the police.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Hubby once found a mobile phone outside the local Sainsburys (about 5 years ago). He picked it up knowing that someone would ring and request it back. And sure enough this bloke called and Hubby answered and said he could have the phone. Half an hour later and there was a massive limosine outside our flat and a massive bloke got out. He offered money to Hubby, but he refused. They have become good friends now.
    To the OP, I'm disgusted that someone could be so callous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely a police matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Report the loss to the police and get a lost property number. Contact the phone company with the phone details to get the phone traced and also call barring put on otherwise they could be running up the bill. Do not meet the person and do not hand over any money. Tell them to take it to their nearest police station and hand it in as lost property (as they should have done in the first place.)
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Speak to the local community cops and arrange for them to be at yours then get him to come at that time. When the bizzies answer the door I'm sure he'll forget all about the £50.
  • bathlampbathlamp Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Release Me wrote: »
    Pretty much as the title says, my friend lost her phone and whoever has it wants £50 to bring it back. Problem is she's out of the country, and has asked me to get it for her and she'll give me the money when she's back.

Now this guy says he wants the £50 for his "troubles" of bringing it to our house and giving it to me, so i suggested he instead give his address and i'll pick it up for free and it won't cause him any trouble at all.

He' refused this, and is insisting he'll only drop it off at our house and wants the £50. To me this guy is effectively holding the phone for the money, and it's no better than theft.

My friend is quite happy to pay, but to me it isn't right, should i just let this guy get away with £50 of her money for effectively having now stolen the phone?

Could you arrange to meet this guy in a public place to hand over the phone? It does seem a bit odd that he's insisting on coming to your house.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely this is simple blackmail. And definately a police matter. Not only for the crime being committed, but also for your own protection should this person be as unsavoury as they sound.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Speak to the local community cops and arrange for them to be at yours then get him to come at that time. When the bizzies answer the door I'm sure he'll forget all about the £50.

Yeah, i agree with this - have an officer with you at the agreed time he turns up. Ask him outright to confirm in front of the officer what exactly his "troubles" were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    camer wrote: »
    Contact the police and your service provider and ask them to put a trace on the phone, they will be able to locate the phone down to a few metres, then forward the adress to the police.

Sadly the phone networks arent that precise. The police can only find out what mast the phone last pinged off which means it can be an area of several square miles and if its a built up area - well needle and haystack spring to mind :( Oh and the police generally only get permission for triangulations if its a 'life and death' situation.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Release Me wrote: »

Get the police involved. He's a thief and an extortionist - he should be arrested. And I don;t know that it would be wise to have him at your house either - unless the police are there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Sadly the phone networks arent that precise. The police can only find out what mast the phone last pinged off which means it can be an area of several square miles and if its a built up area - well needle and haystack spring to mind Oh and the police generally only get permission for triangulations if its a 'life and death' situation.

This.

Its the stuff of movies that triangulations are instant, on any phone to a pinpoint. I had a robbery the other night at a house I let and took the guests mobile etc. Police came over and said they won't run a trace because it's 'incredibly expensive'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    This.

Its the stuff of movies that triangulations are instant, on any phone to a pinpoint. I had a robbery the other night at a house I let and took the guests mobile etc. Police came over and said they won't run a trace because it's 'incredibly expensive'.

And even if they do in town or something you can be looking ar an area covering several thousand houses. Or another entire part of the city.

Sadly 'real' technology just isnt on a par with CSI etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person with the mobile also has a right, and reasonable expectation of privacy, so a trace cannot be done on the mobile, as by doing so they would infringe on his/her privacy!
    Triangulation in a built up area is normally accurate to within 50 metres, it can be down to the metre depending on number of masts in contactable range, but if not then it's a big old area!

Contact the network provider, have the phone blocked, get a new phone, either on insurance or buy a new one, and put it behind you.

To emphasise what others have already said, do NOT meet this person unless it's in the lobby of a police station! You don't know what you could be letting yourself in for. There are some nasty people about who have some funny ideas about "respect" that usually involves knives. It's not worth the risk. Tell them to drop it into a police station, to leave their name and you'll ensure that they get the £50 as a "reward" for finding it.
  • JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under no circumtances give your home address to this stranger. Contact the police for advice also contact the phone provider. If its a contract phone this person could have made calls on the phone,which your friend will have to pay for. If its pay as you go, forget the phone and buy a new one. How did this bloke contact your friend if shes out the country ?
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have mobile me and an iPhone you can locate where your iPhone is. Not sure how good this is though. If it did work well you could track them down with a couple of mates . The thief would have the shock of their lives!
  • astoundedastounded Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £50 to give it back.. the cheek. Talk about having the potential to do a good deed, and completely missing the opportunity. Maybe they can trace the phone.
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey_M wrote: »
    The person with the mobile also has a right, and reasonable expectation of privacy, so a trace cannot be done on the mobile, as by doing so they would infringe on his/her privacy!
    I don't think so!