In the Club, a new drama for the BBC by Kay Mellor

BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
The lives of six expectant couples will be the focus of the latest six-part drama, In The Club, from BBC One.

Cast include Hermione Norris, Tara Fitzgerald, Jill Halfpenny and Katherine Parkinson, plus Will Mellor, Jonathan Kerrigan, Christine Bottomley, Luke Thompson, Taj Atwal, Sacha Dhawan and newcomer Hannah Midgley.

A seemingly straightforward antenatal group reveals secrets and lies bubbling beneath the surface that threaten each of the new families. In sharing the most intimate of experiences, they are shown how dreams can change in an instant and form a life-long bond and friendship.

Kay has woven an utterly compelling, hilarious and dramatic series that, through the story of a group of pregnant women, showcases human life in all of its joy and tragedy. – Ben Stephenson, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning

In The Club is the latest drama from Kay Mellor OBE, creator and writer of acclaimed dramas including The Syndicate, A Passionate Woman and Fat Friends.

Filming in and around Leeds from January, the drama is a Rollem Production produced by Yvonne Francas for the BBC.

Comments

• MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great cast! I'm really excited to see an air date for this, I have high hopes for it being fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    No Gaynor Faye? I am surprised. :p
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bit of a bonus I say :D
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First thing I thought...:D I'm looking forward to this, I think it's a strong cast :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member

Don't worry, the family is being represented by Yvonne Francas doing the production - as usual.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Too busy in Emmerdale :D
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, the family is being represented by Yvonne Francas doing the production - as usual.

Wow, I didn't realise that there was even more nepotism going on with her family. Looking on IMDB it seems that a lot of the shows that Kay has written have had not only starred Faye, but also been produced by Yvonne!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    This sounds good and a pretty well rounded cast too. Will keep an eye out for it!
  • inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lives of six expectant couples will be the focus of the latest six-part drama, In The Club, from BBC One.

Cast include Hermione Norris, Tara Fitzgerald, Jill Halfpenny and Katherine Parkinson, plus Will Mellor, Jonathan Kerrigan, Christine Bottomley, Luke Thompson, Taj Atwal, Sacha Dhawan and newcomer Hannah Midgley.

A seemingly straightforward antenatal group reveals secrets and lies bubbling beneath the surface that threaten each of the new families. In sharing the most intimate of experiences, they are shown how dreams can change in an instant and form a life-long bond and friendship.

Kay has woven an utterly compelling, hilarious and dramatic series that, through the story of a group of pregnant women, showcases human life in all of its joy and tragedy. – Ben Stephenson, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning

In The Club is the latest drama from Kay Mellor OBE, creator and writer of acclaimed dramas including The Syndicate, A Passionate Woman and Fat Friends.

Filming in and around Leeds from January, the drama is a Rollem Production produced by Yvonne Francas for the BBC.

The newcomer Hannah Midgley once played Victoria Sugden in Emmerdale for a good few years
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mellors stuff is Depressingly repetitive. She's so formulaic
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Will Mellor related to her?
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Will Mellor related to her?

No he isn't.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Mellors stuff is Depressingly repetitive. She's so formulaic

You are right but it's still loads better than most other stuff. I must admit, I get hooked every time as she always gets really good actors in her stuff.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nepotism - let's keep it in the family:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Has the BBC revealed when it is scheduled to be broadcast? There is still no official word on when that might be. Does anyone have any information regarding this?
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the BBC revealed when it is scheduled to be broadcast? There is still no official word on when that might be. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

It'll be shown in 2014 but there's been no date revealed as yet.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starts tomorrow night (Tuesday 5 August) 9pm on BBC1 folks...Looking forward to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always get the feeling Mellor doesn't like men much or has a problem with men as all her dramas seem to be about women with men in secondary roles and usually portrayed as crap. I did enjoy Band of Gold but the fact is all the male characters were either weak and pathetic, weirdos or villians/psychopaths and Kathy Tyson's character treated men like total shit, especially her handyman she hired in the third series and treats like a slave. She doesn't seem to like to acknowledge that male babies get born either as in Band of Gold all the young kids were girls and several characters gave birth during the series...to girls.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this tonight!!!!
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Drama following the lives of six pregnant women who meet at antenatal class.

Anyone looking forward to this? Didn't realise it was written by Kay Mellor, I usually enjoy her stuff.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks riveting
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gooby wrote: »
    Looking forward to this tonight!!!!

Me too..I like Hermione Norris!
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will record this. Looks really good!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this :)
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannah Midgeley who played ginger Victoria Sugden in 'Emmerdale' is in it.