Jack the Ripper unmasked?

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
Forum Member
✭✭
Your in for suprise, your in for a shock. DNA evidence has now shown beyond reasonable doubt which one of six key suspects commonly cited in connection with the Ripper’s reign of terror was the actual killer and reveal his identity Polish immigrant Aaron Kosminski. A shawl found by the body of Catherine Eddowes, one of the Ripper’s victims, has been analysed and found to contain DNA from her blood as well as DNA from the killer.

The landmark discovery was made after businessman Russell Edwards, 48, bought the shawl at auction and enlisted the help of Dr Jari Louhelainen, a world-renowned expert in analysing genetic evidence from historical crime scenes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746321/Jack-Ripper-unmasked-How-amateur-sleuth-used-DNA-breakthrough-identify-Britains-notorious-criminal-126-years-string-terrible-murders.html

Comments

• seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off out now. ;-)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So that's that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Which one on the sidebar of shame was it?
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yayy:)
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    A Polish guy then, it's no wonder the Mail featured it :D
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is quite a revelation TBH.

Though my main interest was thinking "what a lovely shawl", but I'd give a good wash.:D
  • Rene-CRene-C Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Judas priest fan by any chance OP?
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on! Look at the pictures in that article. It so obviously the Shoemaker. He has Ripper eyes.👀
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So....basically he killed her, then wanked off over her.

Sounds like he'd fit right into today's London...
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rene-C wrote: »
    Judas priest fan by any chance OP?

Yep ;-)
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which one on the sidebar of shame was it?

More like the sideburns of shame...
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Well, that came out of nowhere, didn't it? :o
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very much doubt it - stories like this get printed every year.

The 'suspect' list is also a total joke for anyone who knows the actual facts of the case.

This is the best site on the web for the mystery.

http://www.casebook.org/
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That does seem to be fairly conclusive. It will be interesting to see if they can do anything further to really rubber stamp these findings so they can put any lingering doubts to bed.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of those, would rather keep the legend alive.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    If the DNA tests can be verified then this is huge news. This is the biggest unsolved murder case in history. Hundreds of books have been dedicated to it.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    If the DNA tests can be verified then this is huge news. This is the biggest unsolved murder case in history. Hundreds of books have been dedicated to it.

Yes, if this can be independently verified, then it's massive
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If everything in the article is proven to be true then they have undoubtedly found the killer

and I'm really surprised none of the library sleuths had noticed the last 2 murders were on days connected by religious events
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although if you look at the bottom of the article, it's about a book?
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    The alledged killer does sound more likely than a lot of the other theories - simply he was mentally ill and lived locally, so knew the streets.
  • Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I think I'll wait for the week long special on Discovery before I am totally convinced. Right after they find Noah's Ark and the Mega Shark.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be interesting to see if this is an elaborate hoax or for real. Either way, it's interesting.

I saw a documentary with one of Kosminsky's descendants that made a very convincing case for him being the Ripper. (Although the American quack doctor, Tumelty was always my favourite suspect).

From a textile POV.... Interesting to see it was dated, according to dyes used, to the early 19thC as when I saw it I thought: that looks more Regency period, than later. (Dye colours look natural, pre-aniline dyeing - if chemically dyed it would postdate 1860). An old shawl, in other words, for 1888. Could quite well have been Eddowes', as most people in the past wore secondhand and old clothing and pawning your shoes - might be your second pair.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure I watched a documentary very recently that included the shawl. They wanted to send it off for tests but the owner was worried about it getting lost/damaged. It was only on a few weeks ago. I wouldn't want to meet that John Pizer bloke in a dark alleyway though! :o:D
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it may prove he killed Eddowes but not that he was necessarily JTR
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can DNA last that long on things? I would have thought that it would have weakened or whatever as the years went by. How would they know who to test the DNA against? I have doubts about this being right. Even if there is DNA on the cloth, they'd need other DNA to test it against. It would be like looking for a needle in a flaming haystack. The person who killed them could have been buried anywhere.