five and fiver have limited Series Record data

2»

Comments

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stephenbw wrote: »
    'Dirt' on Fiver shows the next episode to be on 17/05 20:15 - 21:00 i.e 45 minutes.

When I choose Series Record for this it also selects the repeat of this episode on 18/05 23:00-00:00 i.e 60 minutes.

Is the time difference in the schedule responsible for this duplication or will I now get recordings of all the broadcasts of every episode?

Checking the data for those 2 programmes, they have different programme crid data....so yes they will be recorded......not a fault of your Humax, but broadcaster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I thought as much. I'll see what happens to future recordings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Just some information, if you choose series link for recording Shark on Five at 10pm, Friday (if anyone is of course!) you'll notice that it sets up the schedule for Shark on Five US at 9pm instead, which is a week behind. I thought that was quite novel!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max Demian wrote: »
    Actually I think that kind of thing is unhelpful. They did the same on the BBC4 medieval season - all the programmes were on the same series I think - which meant I couldn't select all the ones that really were part of a series together.
    How is that unhelpful with a film? If you want a particular film don't use series record, if you want the series of films do, just like with a tv series.

I see the issue with seasons consisting of different series though, but in that particular case it recorded some programmes for me that I actually found more intresting than the ones I'd intended to record.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    The BBC's decision to flag their entire medieval season as a single series was, in my opinion, a misuse of the series link mechanism. I set it to record a series of programmes that I was interested in, only to find the box recording many hours of things I didn't want, including several films. At one point, the disk filled up, and I lost the end of one of my recordings.

It needs to be obvious to the viewer what is meant by a "series". The natural assumption is that it means all episodes of one particular show. In the case of the Indiana Jones films, it is fairly obvious that the "series" means all the Indiana Jones films. In the case of the medieval season, it was not at all obvious, since the season contained several serialised programmes.

Taken to its logical conclusion, perhaps the BBC should label all its output as one big series....
  • Options
    pzboyzpzboyz Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mfmf wrote: »

It needs to be obvious to the viewer what is meant by a "series".

But that is really a UI problem of implementation for Humax, though to clear of course the broadcaster needs to send the EPG data correctly too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    pzboyz wrote: »
    But that is really a UI problem of implementation for Humax, though to be clear of course the broadcaster needs to send the EPG data correctly too.

I don't think the Humax is to blame. As I understand it, programmes are broadcast with a "series identifier code" attached. If you set a Series Link, the box simply records anything with the same code. The code is essentially just a number that is unique to the series. There is nothing in the code to say whether it is attached to episodes of one programme, or to an entire season of programmes.
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfmf wrote: »
    I don't think the Humax is to blame. As I understand it, programmes are broadcast with a "series identifier code" attached. If you set a Series Link, the box simply records anything with the same code. The code is essentially just a number that is unique to the series. There is nothing in the code to say whether it is attached to episodes of one programme, or to an entire season of programmes.
    Maybe Freeview Playback 3.5 should have a 'season link' flag that (preferably) offers the user a list of all the programmes and series of the 'season' so he can choose which ones he wants. :D
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    When will Five start entering unique ids so you do not end up with the early/late or the daily repeats of an episode.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a waste of space Five is :rolleyes:

We have Neighbours & True CSI on series link and it records the repeat of neighbours following morning at 05.35! and also records the repeat of True CSI following day on Fiver or Five USA wherever they repeat it.

It is stupid that when you try to set series link it goes records the same programme from completely different channel. If it looked for True CSI only on 'Five' it wouldn't need to match the name or code from different channel.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let five know the problems:

customerservices@five.tv
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, let them know... this could be just an error... I have CSI and CSI:NY as SR timers (on Five) and they have not recorded from Five US yet (note, I have only recently re-scanned to get Fiver)...
    We have Neighbours & True CSI on series link and it records the repeat of neighbours following morning at 05.35! and also records the repeat of True CSI following day on Fiver or Five USA wherever they repeat it.

It is ironic that SR work across a 'family' of channels but when you want them to use it properly (for BBC's MotD programmes) they don't, and when you don't want them to use it (like in this case) they do! :mad:
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a waste of space Five is :rolleyes:

It is stupid that when you try to set series link it goes records the same programme from completely different channel. If it looked for True CSI only on 'Five' it wouldn't need to match the name or code from different channel.
    Neighbours has only once recorded a repeat - the 19:00 on Fiver, from then on it records the first showing on Five - pretty novel I though. If your mates are raving about a new series you record next weeks episode, and it also finds the repeat of the first one.

With Hollyoaks it also records the E4+1 showing on the odd occasion two programmes are being shown at 19:00 on other channels - pretty neat IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol - spoke too soon - just gone into the recording list and I have

the 05:35 showing (Five), 13:45 (Five), and 17:30 (Five), with the next 05:35 showing in the recording schedule :cry:
  • Options
    TonyWTonyW Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I've just emailed Customer Services as Barry suggested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Channel Five series link seems to record every occurrence of a program, regardless of whether it's a repeat or not. I found this out when I tried to set The Gadget Show as a series link which resulted in a clash with two other programmes set to record. I couldn't see anything else scheduled to record that day - the clash turned out to be the following day with a repeat of The Gadget Show on a different Five channel. Selecting "this program only" avoided the clash, but in this instance, the series link was and is useless.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »

the 05:35 showing (Five), 13:45 (Five), and 17:30 (Five), with the next 05:35 showing in the recording schedule :cry:

I told you so :rolleyes:
    Channel Five series link seems to record every occurrence of a program, regardless of whether it's a repeat or not. I found this out when I tried to set The Gadget Show as a series link which resulted in a clash with two other programmes set to record. I couldn't see anything else scheduled to record that day - the clash turned out to be the following day with a repeat of The Gadget Show on a different Five channel. Selecting "this program only" avoided the clash, but in this instance, the series link was and is useless.

yeap it is useless, I am not using SL on FIVE anymore. It didn't even take a minute to search Neighbours by name and set to record shows at 13.45pm for 5 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It didn't even take a minute to search Neighbours by name and set to record shows at 13.45pm for 5 days.
    You can set a weekday timer for that programme as an alternative way to ensure it is recorded each weekday at that time. This means you have the one timer instead of five.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TonyW wrote: »
    I've just emailed Customer Services as Barry suggested.
    I've had a response from Five as follows:
    Although there is some series linking functionality available on the digital terrestrial (Freeview) platform for our channels, this is not the final release and the facility is currently being tested.

We do offer a full series linking facility on the digital satellite
    platform and there have been no reported issues of the type you have described on this platform.
    I've pointed out to them there is likely no problems on the satellite platform because those providers use proprietary EPGs and programme identifiers. Freeview is reliant on the broadcasters to provide the correct CRIDs.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops since it is only in a testing phase at present.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »

Okay - this is really odd - it's been doing it since my earlier post, however there was no late recording yesterday, early one this morning, and only the midday one is highlighted on Monday - then it fubars again! They're obviously peeing around with it - I just wish it would be fixed properly!