Current TV to close on Virgin Media.

Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,240
Forum Member
Virgin Media will kick Current TV off its cable TV platform next year, as part of a comprehensive review of its content and services.
http://www.c21media.net/

I wonder what the part in bold means ?

More HD channels ?

Comments

• joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »

More HD channels ?

Do you subscribe to Media21 in order to read the article, as I cannot get it on my Browser
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Do you subscribe to Media21 in order to read the article, as I cannot get it on my Browser
    Afraid not.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member

Nor can I, just the headlines.

Shame about Current TV, it's quite an interesting channel that sometimes has programming you are not likely to see elsewhere but I have noticed it has become very repetitive, maybe they will become an On Demand only service on VM?
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »

More HD channels ?

I do remember being told by virgin media on twitter that a lot things are in the pipeline for 2012.

I wonder if this has something do with it ?
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which browser are you using?
    Forum Member
    Virgin Media will kick Current TV off its cable TV platform next year, as part of a comprehensive review of its content and services.

The UK pay-TV platform has already served notice to the documentary broadcaster, which launched on Virgin in early 2007, C21 has learned. It is currently part of Virgin’s M+, L and XL channel packages.

The move will mean that from the first quarter of 2012 the channel will no longer be available to Virgin Media subscribers, leaving it only on Sky, where it is part of the satellite TV provider’s style and culture pack.

The decision to drop the channel is part of an ongoing evaluation by Virgin of its channel line-up, following the launch of its Virgin TiVo service at the end of 2010.

The cable TV provider is understood to be focusing on securing multi-screen rights rather than hosting only linear channels, in a bid to get the most value from the content on its platform.

Virgin is aiming to provide customers with content “anywhere and everywhere” and is now evaluating all of its content provider relationships with a view to securing multi-screen rights, a source told C21.

The move is part of a shift in the way Virgin delivers content, with the TiVo service already acting as a programme recorder and an on-demand service, as well as giving access to web content such as YouTube.

https://dev.c21media.net/archives/57659

Do this mean they will be reneogating all of there contracts with the content providers ?

If that is the case we could see a lot more HD channels in any new deals with content providers

This would also mean Virgin Media live tv on ipad , i phone etc.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it doesn't have enough viewers remember The Travel Channel when it ceased on channel 293 due to lack of viewers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I read the other lot (CF) wrong this is not correct. There are no channel removal plans acc staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it doesn't have enough viewers remember The Travel Channel when it ceased on channel 293 due to lack of viewers

I guess they used the same arguement when the Performance Channel was removed from cable although I think this was in the days before ntl/Telewest became Virgin Media.

I always thought this was irinoc because for many years, including throughout the era of analogue pay-TV, Performance was a cable-only channel.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weirdest thing is that in Novembers edition of Electric Magazine they advertise this channel
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The weirdest thing is that in Novembers edition of Electric Magazine they advertise this channel

Maybe they are trying to increase the number of viewers before reaching a final decision?

Does anyone know if Current TV is FTA or pay on satellite?
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they are trying to increase the number of viewers before reaching a final decision?

Does anyone know if Current TV is FTA or pay on satellite?

As far as I'm aware its part of the Entertainment Extra pack so to answer your question no its not FTA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

I have just tried to watch one of three recordings that I made before Current TV closed. The channel names on all of them has changed to "unknown" and nothing happens when I press "play". Has anyone else come across this?
  • spacepostmanspacepostman Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really miss Current TV :(

When it first started out it was cutting edge, I even had some of my own films and articles published and shown on-air. Their re-branding to "Current.com" from "Current_tv" was the start of a downwards spiral for them though, very sad and there is little out there to replace it.

I had high-hopes for 4Seven which originally planned to be something very similar, but that too is a huge disappointment and another MORE4 full of repeats.
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had high-hopes for 4Seven which originally planned to be something very similar, but that too is a huge disappointment and another MORE4 full of repeats.
    4Seven was only ever going to be a channel that repeated the programmes on Channel 4 over the previous week. Hence, the name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Indeed. So it sounds like it's doing very well at what it's meant to do.
  • spacepostmanspacepostman Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an article somewhere saying how 4Seven was going to "harness the power of twitter and other social media" to make the channel truly interactive. The only thing they do is have hashtags and post the odd viewer comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have any links for the comments please?

I can't find a facebook page.